PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Rooting and Flashing EVO Instructions for super n00b's on PC's ***Videos Included

How do I know I'm rooted? I have heard conflicting reports on the OTA update unrooting phones and some still work. I have the update and did the root process. Just no way to know.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo
Carrier: Sprint

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Re: Rooting and Flashing EVO Instructions for super n00b's on PC's ***Videos Included

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman1127 View Post
How do I know I'm rooted? I have heard conflicting reports on the OTA update unrooting phones and some still work. I have the update and did the root process. Just no way to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
I'm sure there are several ways to tell, but I'm no expert so I'll tell you the 1st thing I noticed.

After rooting, even before you do the recovery or flash another rom, when you connect your to the pc, you'll get something that says "USB debugging connected."

Let's say for example you connect to the pc and select "Charge only."
You'll have 2 notifications at the top left.
1 is the USB symbol that looks like a little cactus, that says, "Charge only" and
2 is a triangle w/ an exclamation mark "!" that one is "USB debugging connected."

If you installed a custom rom, you should have an app call "Superuser Permissions."
I'm gonna root tonight but from what I've read you should be fine even with the OTA fix.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Master Kimosabi

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
I'm gonna root tonight but from what I've read you should be fine even with the OTA fix.
Hey man, long time no see. good so see you over here on this side. So after the root, i cant find the SU permissions. Any other way to know?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo
Carrier: Sprint

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman1127 View Post
Hey man, long time no see. good so see you over here on this side. So after the root, i cant find the SU permissions. Any other way to know?
Cheers Bro
I'm still learning, like I said I'll running the process momentarily so dunno about any verification steps.
You dont even have the icon? I know shortly post root the screen will be blank until a program calls for SU permission. Do you have any programs installed that may need permission? You could try running one like WiFi tethering and see what happens? Just a (very slightly) educated guess? Maybe someone else can chime in. I'll see what I see after I get done.....
Old 06-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Master Kimosabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
Cheers Bro
I'm still learning, like I said I'll running the process momentarily so dunno about any verification steps.
You dont even have the icon? I know shortly post root the screen will be blank until a program calls for SU permission. Do you have any programs installed that may need permission? You could try running one like WiFi tethering and see what happens? Just a (very slightly) educated guess? Maybe someone else can chime in. I'll see what I see after I get done.....
Installing the new OS as we speak......Huge power improvements from the TP right? I thought it was decent spec wise even now.....but now....WOW
Old 06-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Master Kimosabi

Success, I had OTA update and was still able to flash OMJ's HTC EVO 2.1.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: SPRINT

DrUnKeN_TiGeR is keeping up the good workDrUnKeN_TiGeR is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to DrUnKeN_TiGeR Send a message via MSN to DrUnKeN_TiGeR Send a message via Yahoo to DrUnKeN_TiGeR

ok so i rooted my fone got the /!\ now when i run recovery-windows.bat it says error : device not found

nvrmind i rebooted with vol down button and it booted into recovery so it worked i guess

Last edited by DrUnKeN_TiGeR; 06-08-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker

DrUnKeN_TiGeR is keeping up the good workDrUnKeN_TiGeR is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to DrUnKeN_TiGeR Send a message via MSN to DrUnKeN_TiGeR Send a message via Yahoo to DrUnKeN_TiGeR

does unrevoked have to be ran after every reboot?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Master Kimosabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUnKeN_TiGeR View Post
does unrevoked have to be ran after every reboot?
Unrevoked deeds to be ran every restart to restore SU permissions. The toast method is permanent so you can flash Roms
Old 06-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker

ugh so i cant flash custom roms with unrevoked?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos