PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch
Carrier: Sprint

tool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269
Re: How to Root Your Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSta® View Post
dont know if it was asked before but, does rooting reset your phone?

i think the xda rooting method does. but not the unrevoked.com way. dont even ask me the difference between the 2 cuz i dont know

also i have not yet rooted my phone yet but heard unrevoked.com is very very simple.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:13 AM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmithsr View Post
rooting works but the adb command in windows 7 is adb-windows so anywhere it just syas adb put adb-windows from the directory where you extracted the second file from the xda root. the ota update DOES NOT break the root. And flips rom will do ota updates so updates sent will still work. Connectbot will let you see if you are rooted. get connectbot from the market install. open it up choose local conection. the type su at the $ prompt if the prompt changes to # when you type su you are root.

thx for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by queezybaby222 View Post
Why would you root a phone that came out yesterday? You people r never satisfied!
cuz that's how we roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiekain View Post
i did the root and worked, but how do i know if its rooted? i thought i was gonna be able to save to sd card? how do i do it?
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=78

Quote:
Originally Posted by princem131 View Post
what are the positive effects? How's it differ from stock?
not a big difference than stock, but has root/superuser, it's optimized, and has wifi tether (though I guess there's some tweaking thats needed for it to work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSta® View Post
dont know if it was asked before but, does rooting reset your phone?
yes

Last edited by OMJ; 06-06-2010 at 09:27 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:31 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

dodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIP

Hey guys i am about to get my phone this Wednesday and i want to root being i want to teather and you know get 2.2 andorid ect. This will be my first android device and i dont know how to root but being there is an update being push saying it will kill the new root. So what way is there to do still the old way or that new one unbreakable or what ever its called there was no instruction and i have no clue on how to do it.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:48 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Whats the word on using the update? I have it downloaded but not installed.. What all does it do? does it prevent rooting? (confirmed?)

CW

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

Beejis is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBeejis is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBeejis is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBeejis is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBeejis is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

If I updated the firmware will I still be able to root? And how do you "unroot" if I have to take back the device? Just nervous about bricking my beautiful phone or being stuck and not being able to go back to stock.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

AFitchguy07 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejis View Post
If I updated the firmware will I still be able to root? And how do you "unroot" if I have to take back the device? Just nervous about bricking my beautiful phone or being stuck and not being able to go back to stock.
http://geekfor.me/evo/ruu/evo_ruu_1326511/#more-1395
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

chris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the community

Apologies if this has been answered already but can anyone who has rooted please report or explain if rooting the phone breaks anything or deletes any of the stock configured apps in the phone? I am looking forward to rooting but don't want to lose any aspect of the phone which comes preinstalled. Will installing the OTA update kill any chances of rooting? I also would like to know if after rooting, if reinstalling the stock RUU_supersonic will restore everything if anything should become messed up. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by chris1683; 06-06-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza

Can anyone verify that:

-4G works
-You can download new HTC Widgets without receiving the following error: "Unable to download widgets. Tap to try again"

after applying this root?
Old 06-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Looks like some progress has been made with Wi-fi tethering:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/06...pport-for-evo/

I haven't pulled the trigger yet as Im a Droid n00b and still trying to get up to speed on the whole rooting process. I think I got it but I was wondering---what is the difference between rooting this way and doing it via unrevoked?

Last edited by iknowsquat; 06-06-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

ruckstande is becoming a great contributor

I'm just looking for a FAQ on rooting. Why do it? What does it do? What are the effects of rooting on the stock rom? Can I restore to the original image if something goes wrong? Can this be stated on the front page instead of 10 pages in? This phone is the first Android most people are getting. Not everyone knows of the potential of what this phone can do and why we should be taking these chances with our new hardware. If I can unlock certain locked features with this update I'm all for it but I'm not really hearing that.

Okay I found an answer to a couple of my questions here:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/04...android-phone/

Last edited by ruckstande; 06-07-2010 at 11:06 AM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G