PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

timgt is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Games run Choppy on EVO

I just got my EVO today and love the thing but why does every game run choppy compared to its iphone version?

I have a ipod touch with doodle jump and paper toss so I loaded the same 2 games on the EVO and both are not very playable for me since I am used to them running smooth.

I then pulled up youtube and watched people game on the EVO and every game I saw was choppy as well.

Does the 3D drivers suck on this phone like they did on the HD2 or is this something with the snapdragon?

Do you see a fix for this coming soon? Everything else is amazing on the phone, gaming is pointless so far which stinks since the screen size is so large.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

biscodude is becoming a great contributor
Re: Games run Choppy on EVO

That's odd. I saw video on youtube of 3d games running smoothly on it the other day.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TP, TP2, EVO 4G

Biofall is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgt View Post
I just got my EVO today and love the thing but why does every game run choppy compared to its iphone version?
Quote:

I have a ipod touch with doodle jump and paper toss so I loaded the same 2 games on the EVO and both are not very playable for me since I am used to them running smooth.

I then pulled up youtube and watched people game on the EVO and every game I saw was choppy as well.

Does the 3D drivers suck on this phone like they did on the HD2 or is this something with the snapdragon?

Do you see a fix for this coming soon? Everything else is amazing on the phone, gaming is pointless so far which stinks since the screen size is so large.

Um, are the games you got actually from the android marketplace? And are they free? If you answered no to either of these quesitons then there is your problem. If the game is ported straight off the iPhone then yeah, it probably does suck.

Cause if you look at this, these games are the opposite of suck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFGOdAzdg_8
The Kernel.... HTC Supersecret Supersonic 3.28.651.1 - unreleased OTA (thanks flipzmod!)
Old 06-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Threadstarter

timgt is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biofall View Post

Um, are the games you got actually from the android marketplace? And are they free? If you answered no to either of these quesitons then there is your problem. If the game is ported straight off the iPhone then yeah, it probably does suck.

Cause if you look at this, these games are the opposite of suck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFGOdAzdg_8
LOL, thats actually the video I watched. You can watch that and say those games run smooth??

I guess smooth to me and smooth to others may be a bit different. Spoiled with a gaming PC that i cant play below 60fps and nice framerate from games that run on my ipod touch.

I just don't understand if the processor is twice of an ipod why cant it do the same? I guess objective C is easier to program for then Java? I think thats what android uses as its language.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: NeXus S 4G

Rager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

i seen that video before and it seems the games on there run smooth,i will try it out friday Nova looks like a good game.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:45 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Evo 4G

dasfool is just getting started

If I remember correctly, the EVO does not have a dedicated GPU which would explain why some games don't run as well.

Edit: It actually does have a GPU integrated, an AMD Z430. Triangles/sec is decent on this, but the fill rate is kinda crappy compared to the SGX 535 in the iPhone 3GS.

Last edited by dasfool; 06-02-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

BrianBaker is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBrianBaker is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBrianBaker is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Everything ive downloaded from the market has run smooth..Baseball super stars,that super KO boxing game and homerun derby.

HTC EVO 4G
Old 06-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TP, TP2, EVO 4G

Biofall is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
LOL, thats actually the video I watched. You can watch that and say those games run smooth??
Quote:

I guess smooth to me and smooth to others may be a bit different. Spoiled with a gaming PC that i cant play below 60fps and nice framerate from games that run on my ipod touch.

I just don't understand if the processor is twice of an ipod why cant it do the same? I guess objective C is easier to program for then Java? I think thats what android uses as its language.

Android does use Java, but I think instead of spending that time braggin, you could think about how on a multiplayer fps game like that, the initial startup might have a couple of blips, but otherwise everything looked relatively smooth.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:05 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Evo 4G

dasfool is just getting started

What may actually be the limiting factor here is how much time/priority these companies are putting into optimizing the game to run on Android (java) from the original language. When porting to webOS it seems the SDK does it for you (or there is very little work to be done), but going to java, you have to recode a lot since the original code is C++/Objective C.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:26 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: a phone
Carrier: none of your buisness

Boo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

1st cause its not an iphone
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G