PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile
Threadstarter

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim
Re: Evo root is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksilenc View Post
well aslong as we get the latest sprint ruu file all you need to do is just run the ruu and that will take the phone back to 100% stock
you will have an official update long before the ruu is available. ruu is ripped from the official update, meaning you have to wait for it to be put up, which could take days till a developer gets around to it, or you can flash back to stock then flash the packaged up new rom.
Google is the next skynet
Old 05-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Retired Staff-MordyT.com
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

MordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
Anybody who is rooted will not get ota updates unless they are rooted but running stock rom and stock bootloader. If you are running a custom rom (which I'm sure everyone here will want froyo, so that means a custom bootloader and custom rom) ota updates will not be sent to your phone.
I know I am the n00b here, however it is possible to get OTA updates on a custom ROM. It depends on the ROM chef and how he cooks it.
Originally Posted by CozBoogie View Post
5. Everyone who thanks my post will receive instant karma!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers2114 View Post
MordyT is right.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Bay Area Boss
Threadstarter

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordyT View Post
I know I am the n00b here, however it is possible to get OTA updates on a custom ROM. It depends on the ROM chef and how he cooks it.
thats news to me, but that rom isn't built from source. Actually in 99% of most cases this isn't correct, because you need a custom recovery image. you have to boot to recovery so often, the the stock recovery image doesn't have any of the features you need, like to flash a custom zip you need a special recovery, or to partition the sd card you need a special recovery, also their are other options in the recovery image.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Retired Staff-MordyT.com
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

MordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
thats news to me, but that rom isn't built from source. Actually in 99% of most cases this isn't correct, because you need a custom recovery image. you have to boot to recovery so often, the the stock recovery image doesn't have any of the features you need, like to flash a custom zip you need a special recovery, or to partition the sd card you need a special recovery, also their are other options in the recovery image.
I don't know. I am still learning, but I do plan on cooking up some ROMs. I also plan on taking advantage of OTA updates, seeing if I can tweak it so I can provide them.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Bay Area Boss
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordyT View Post
I don't know. I am still learning, but I do plan on cooking up some ROMs. I also plan on taking advantage of OTA updates, seeing if I can tweak it so I can provide them.
yeah its not possible. the only way that would be possible is if you created a rom that you never planned on updating again. then if you do that, when you want to load another rom it will be a hassel everytime because you will have to root it again and again, and everyone using your roms will not like the fact that all their info keeps getting erased, no one will use your roms. every rom needs the recovery image to load it. there is no way possible for you to create a rom and still receive ota updates, your rom will fail.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: sprint

phillyboi6829 is keeping up the good workphillyboi6829 is keeping up the good workphillyboi6829 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to phillyboi6829

WOW alittle off topick bit i only thought that cooking roms was just for win-mobile phones lol-- talk about a noobie. sorry
Old 05-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: hero cdma
Carrier: sprint

drksilenc is keeping up the good workdrksilenc is keeping up the good work

android is basically wm that actually works
Old 05-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Bay Area Boss
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksilenc View Post
android is basically wm that actually works
too funny. got a laugh out of this one.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Dumbphone - Vogue - Touch Pro - Touch Pro 2 - Evo

Meanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMeanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMeanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMeanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Anybody who is rooted will not get ota updates unless they are rooted but running stock rom and stock bootloader. If you are running a custom rom (which I'm sure everyone here will want froyo, so that means a custom bootloader and custom rom) ota updates will not be sent to your phone.

Got it, but I am talking about "As soon as I take it out of the box", since I will be on stock, and make sure that exploit is not patched.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Bay Area Boss
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanee View Post
Got it, but I am talking about "As soon as I take it out of the box", since I will be on stock, and make sure that exploit is not patched.
yeah you're correct. until i'm rooted, i will not install any ota updates. ignore them all. all hero users who were running custom roms and then flashed the official 2.1 update can't even root their phones now.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G