PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 01:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

shaned197 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
iPhone os vs android on evo

I have read a lot of articles about the upcoming Evo and android but wanted to hear others opinions.

Let us assume that iPhone comes out with identical hardware to the evo. I was wondering what software benefits android has over the iPhone 4.0 os and why it's either better or worse. What are business benefits of android over iPhone? What about 3d gaming as iPhone has an amazing plethora of games in the app store. Lastly I understand that android is open source compared to iPhones limited apps, but what does open source actually mean to a common phone user?

I ask this because I currently have an htc diamond and fought my iPhone buddies for the longest time that my phone was better. Recently I was given an iPod touch and use it over my phone every chance I get. No matter what rom I used, the iPod is better in every way possible. So with my contract ending, why the evo over the iPhone 4.0?

Note: not an apple fanboy! Just want to hear honest opinions. Thanks!!
Old 05-11-2010, 01:38 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint

ilovernb is a n00b
Re: iPhone os vs android on evo

Because Evo doesnt run windows mobile. It has android which is basically like iphone os but with widgets and its open source, so you get best of both worlds. Open source means u can basically do anything you want with it as in windows.

Last edited by ilovernb; 05-11-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:42 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Well all you have to do to understand the fundemental difference, is look at Flash. he Evo (and Android) will have it, the iPhone rejected and banned it.

Anytime you have an app nazi that has to approve everything, the platform will never be all that it is capable of.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:23 AM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

This video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y7XJ...layer_embedded

Yes, it's Android 2.2, and Evo will have 2.1, but I expect we will have this awesomeness as well.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Threadstarter

shaned197 is becoming a great contributor

Wow thanks for the link! Flash support definitely looks promising, just hope it doesn't drain the battery too bad!!

What are some other advantages a rooted android device would have over a jailbroken iPhone?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:58 AM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

I'll be honest; it all comes down to preference. Try both and see which one you prefer. I have a friend that was on WM for years and he switched to iPhone and is very happy with his decision, but personally, I hate it. Android is just better for me. It's much more customizable and I love open source.

I also hate Apple and their business model.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:04 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I dont get this. Is android any different becouse it on the Evo?

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:20 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

Myst3ry is a n00b

let me make this simple for you... Yes, the iPhone very much will have identical hardware, BUT the software is WAY too locked down for my tastes (unless you jailbreak it of course... but then once you do, you cannot upgrade the phone or you'll brick it) (btw, i despise a cluster of icons as my homescreen)

BUT On a more important note... Apple has some contract with AT&T that ties them together till 2012! and there are two things that i will never do! 1) Wait two years for the next iPhone 2) switch to the horribly serviced AT&T
Old 05-11-2010, 12:31 PM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst3ry View Post
(btw, i despise a cluster of icons as my homescreen)

and there are two things that i will never do! 1) Wait two years for the next iPhone 2) switch to the horribly serviced AT&T
These two things QFT.

I prefer having my homescreens FULLY customizable with clocks, calendars, messages, and other active widgets, along with the ability to add any folders, shortcuts, or contacts as well. iPhone OS is really starting to show its age nowadays. Even iPhone OS4 has a primitive home screen. After 3 years, all they've done is add FOLDERS? Come on, Apple. Get with the program. lol

The other valid point here is AT&T sucks. I'm surprised so many people switch to the second most primitive carrier in the US (only beaten by T-Mobile) just for a stupid iPhone. AT&T has terrible 3G coverage compared to Sprint and Verizon. Yeah, they have tons of regular GSM coverage, but my lord, it's 2010...people want high speed data everywhere they go.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:33 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst3ry View Post
...... Apple has some contract with AT&T that ties them together till 2012! ......
Maybe, maybe not

http://blogs.computerworld.com/16088...one_hd_service

CW

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G