PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 02:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

shaned197 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: iPhone os vs android on evo

I see. I guess my biggest concern is I want a phone that works correctly and does everything appropriately right out of the box. I spent many days on wm learning how to install Roms and install various programs and making registry edits to make them work how I want.

I am not looking to tinker nearly as much with my next phone and was making sure I can accomplish everything a general user wants by merely downloading apps and not having to root.

However, it seems that rooting is almost a must do thing to get better apps, free wifi sharing, screen captures, battery adjustments, and overall better system performance. I know a lot of users like to tinker, but I've hit the point to where I want something that will just work as it should out of box, and I want to make sure android can.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:38 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst3ry View Post
let me make this simple for you... Yes, the iPhone very much will have identical hardware, BUT the software is WAY too locked down for my tastes (unless you jailbreak it of course... but then once you do, you cannot upgrade the phone or you'll brick it) (btw, i despise a cluster of icons as my homescreen)

BUT On a more important note... Apple has some contract with AT&T that ties them together till 2012! and there are two things that i will never do! 1) Wait two years for the next iPhone 2) switch to the horribly serviced AT&T
Actually this isnt true... I had 3.1.2 jailbroken and upgraded to 3.1.3 just fine. Honestly having owned all 3 OS (iphone, winmo and android) they all have their benefits. App wise, nothing is touching the iphone point blank period. You can find apps for pretty much any AND everything. Most will claim the majority arent useful but it all depends on what you use the phone for.

Android gives you more freedom with its open source and is gaining ground in the app area. And honestly for winmo, aside from those that need microsoft office mobile I cant see a real benefit of it over either. It's pretty slow and buggy in comparison. I love my 3gs for what it does and the same for my android. The customization of the 7 home screens on android is definitely a major plus though... being able to put anything you want there just by dragging and dropping is great.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Well with EVO you may not need to root it to get wifi tethering. I do not think that the sprint app on the EVO works like magic either...For it to work in the first place means that the functionality may be natively available in some shape or form.
I didn't think about that, I wonder how this will work now, hmmmm
Google is the next skynet
Old 05-11-2010, 05:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo No 4g

akayareal is keeping up the good workakayareal is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
the release rom is always stable but people root for other reasons then getting a more stable rom. People will root to get access to more apps. You need to get to the root directory to make changes to it. Wifi router app for instance requires root access. android has not given these type of programs permission. There are numersous apps that require root access, another biggie for me is sceen capture.
Compared to WM, how harder or easier is it to root an Android phone as opposed to unlocking a WM phone?

I personally find the unlocking of WM to be super simple.

Evo on 3g

Old 05-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Bay Area Boss

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by akayareal View Post
Compared to WM, how harder or easier is it to root an Android phone as opposed to unlocking a WM phone?

I personally find the unlocking of WM to be super simple.
unlocking a winmo phone is easier (but every android phone ends up getting rooted a different way) but flashing custom roms is easier on android
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo No 4g

akayareal is keeping up the good workakayareal is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
unlocking a winmo phone is easier (but every android phone ends up getting rooted a different way) but flashing custom roms is easier on android
Gotcha. Knowing me, ill find a number of apps that will require rooting to use. I may not do it as soon as its possible but im sure at some point i will. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Bay Area Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by akayareal View Post
Gotcha. Knowing me, ill find a number of apps that will require rooting to use. I may not do it as soon as its possible but im sure at some point i will. Thanks.
I definitely understand your point of view I was once in your position not to mention I can't just take my phone to sprint and bitch if it messes up, I need to ship mine to Google where they check if your warranty is void by rooting, but once I rooted my nexus one, it was the day I discovered the power of android. I'm a complete 180 from you, I cant buy that phone until its rooted, then once they get a froyo rom without HTC sense I'm in there. I'm upset sense can't be turned off with the incredible, the desire as the option to turn on and off. Hopefully the evo has the option.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Threadstarter

shaned197 is becoming a great contributor

From what I have read, it is night and day between a stock android phone compared to a rooted one. Down in the droid forums many verizon users would rather have their over clocked, rooted droids over the new, faster, stock incredible!

Guess rooting is something that us ppcgeeks must do to be satisfied!! I'm hoping the evo battery is better than my diamonds and can actually last past a day or two on light usage!!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:09 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

P-Slim, what is it about Sense that you don't like on Android?

I hate Sense on WinMo, and I love Mobile Shell. But there is no Mobile Shell for Android (yet, will be soon) so what is it you are using that you like better? If there is a good alternative to Sense on Android, it would be nice to know about it in advance...
Old 05-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Bay Area Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
P-Slim, what is it about Sense that you don't like on Android?

I hate Sense on WinMo, and I love Mobile Shell. But there is no Mobile Shell for Android (yet, will be soon) so what is it you are using that you like better? If there is a good alternative to Sense on Android, it would be nice to know about it in advance...
Sense is beautiful don't get me wrong but it is an unneccessary feauture and it takes up resources or memory. Not to mention the stock ui is better and more graphical in certain areas. Here's one example, the app menu, HTC sense menu is standard while the app menu on the nexus is 3D, it looks ten times better. Sense gives extra widgets but everything I need is already in the marketplace.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G