PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim
Re: iPhone os vs android on evo

op, everything is better then winmo 6.5. Now that being said, people will like android over apple because its open source not to mention the flash like others said. also you guys flash is being released next week to the marketplace for devices 2.0 and above.

http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2010/...-at-google-io/
Google is the next skynet
Old 05-11-2010, 01:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

shaned197 is becoming a great contributor

Thanks for the info guys. I understand anything is going to be better than my diamond!! I guess other than being customizable and having flash support there aren't many distinct os advantages. I guess I'm looking to be able to say oh but your iPhone can't do this where my phone can.

Definitely going to stick with sprint and go for the evo. I believe I will like the social networking widgets and notification bar.

Hopefully evo will arrive with 2.2 or get an update shortly after it is released. I also hope there is an update to install apps to the storage card.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Bay Area Boss

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaned197 View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I understand anything is going to be better than my diamond!! I guess other than being customizable and having flash support there aren't many distinct os advantages. I guess I'm looking to be able to say oh but your iPhone can't do this where my phone can.

Definitely going to stick with sprint and go for the evo. I believe I will like the social networking widgets and notification bar.

Hopefully evo will arrive with 2.2 or get an update shortly after it is released. I also hope there is an update to install apps to the storage card.
1) you must not have seen the link i posted above, Android will have adobe flash 10.1 next week. 1 million times better then anything skyfire could come up with.

2) To get apps on storage card all you need is to be rooted, then someone like cyanogen will create a rom with that installed.

Last edited by p-slim; 05-11-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Oh sorry, guess I am confused as to how the flash will be implemented. Is it just an ota update to all android devices and not an official 2.1 or 2.2 update?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Flash support will be via a free Adobe app from the Market on Android devices, however it will require Android 2.0 and above to work.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Bay Area Boss

Quote:
Oh sorry, guess I am confused as to how the flash will be implemented. Is it just an ota update to all android devices and not an official 2.1 or 2.2 update?
you will be able to download it through the marketplace, its just that all 2.2 devices will already have it pre installed.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Oh ok that makes sense! Thanks for the answers guys, very much a newb when it comes to android but would like to learn more about it before I purchase!!

For those who own android devices, do most people root them like most wm users? I always liked having the latest n greatest Roms but disliked how my phone wasn't "the best it could be" without using new roms. Is android similar to this? Or are most people satisfied with the original rom that came with purchase?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Bay Area Boss

Quote:
Oh ok that makes sense! Thanks for the answers guys, very much a newb when it comes to android but would like to learn more about it before I purchase!!

For those who own android devices, do most people root them like most wm users? I always liked having the latest n greatest Roms but disliked how my phone wasn't "the best it could be" without using new roms. Is android similar to this? Or are most people satisfied with the original rom that came with purchase?
the release rom is always stable but people root for other reasons then getting a more stable rom. People will root to get access to more apps. You need to get to the root directory to make changes to it. Wifi router app for instance requires root access. android has not given these type of programs permission. There are numersous apps that require root access, another biggie for me is sceen capture.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Bay Area Boss

the only thing that has me stressing about the evo is the ability to turn off and on the htc sense. The Desire you can turn it on and off but with the Incredible that option is not there. Hopefully they bring it back to the evo, if not I don't think i will be purchasing this phone till its rooted. I'm definitely not about to pay sprint for wifi tethering not to mention it will be hard for me to go from froyo back to eclair. JIT and OpenGL ES 2.0 enhancements are the biggest enhancements i'm looking forward too with froyo. these too will make apps/games 2-3x faster as well as make make graphics intensive apps/games run smooth(er) because developers will be able to make their code more optimized.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:33 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
the only thing that has me stressing about the evo is the ability to turn off and on the htc sense. The Desire you can turn it on and off but with the Incredible that option is not there. Hopefully they bring it back to the evo, if not I don't think i will be purchasing this phone till its rooted. I'm definitely not about to pay sprint for wifi tethering not to mention it will be hard for me to go from froyo back to eclair. JIT and OpenGL ES 2.0 enhancements are the biggest enhancements i'm looking forward too with froyo. these too will make apps/games 2-3x faster as well as make make graphics intensive apps/games run smooth(er) because developers will be able to make their code more optimized.
Well with EVO you may not need to root it to get wifi tethering. I do not think that the sprint app on the EVO works like magic either...For it to work in the first place means that the functionality may be natively available in some shape or form.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G