PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint

jonnythan is keeping up the good workjonnythan is keeping up the good workjonnythan is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Anyone have an idea on the price for the Evo 4G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
Your overall point is fine for Verizon, but T-Mobile charges the same as Sprint on some plans, and even less than Sprint on some plans.
T-Mobile has a much smaller network than Sprint and off-network roaming is not free.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:03 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post
T-Mobile has a much smaller network than Sprint and off-network roaming is not free.
And Sprint has a much smaller network than Verizon, so what's your point?

It's all about the service where you need it. If T-Mobile works where you need it, does it really matter if their network is the largest or not?

I don't want to get into a whole thing about this. I just saw a post where someone was comparing Sprint's price to Verizon's and T-Mobile's (well the post he quoted mentioned the HD2's price, so I assume he knew it was a T-Mobile phone) and said even though the phones cost more on Sprint, the monthly service was so much cheaper that it made up for it. I was only pointing out that T-Mobile is the same or even cheaper than Sprint on some plans.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:12 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff

Quote:
I don't want to get into a whole thing about this.
The only way you would get into a thing about this, is if you made it a thing.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:36 AM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

lol @ tmobile.. have they even solved that 3g to edge bounce back and forth issue yet? Outages on a regular....by far the worst service i've ever had.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

It's not really fair to compare this to the HD2 or TP2 with regards to price point - not because the TP2 and HD2 are "business phones and businesses can afford more" - but because of the OS. WinMo requires a license fee, which just gets passed on to the consumers (a.k.a The Microsoft Tax). The EVO 4G is running Android, which is open source and does not require a license. No M$ Tax = cheaper MSRP.

I'd say it will be comparable to the Incredible in price, so around $199-$249 after discounts and rebates as most have said. In fact, I'm thinking more like $249 - I think Sprint can get away with charging just a bit more because of the features it has above and beyond the Incredible (WiMax, of course, plus the front facing camera and HDMI out).
Old 04-23-2010, 07:19 PM
VIP Member

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrigham View Post
It's not really fair to compare this to the HD2 or TP2 with regards to price point - not because the TP2 and HD2 are "business phones and businesses can afford more" - but because of the OS. WinMo requires a license fee, which just gets passed on to the consumers (a.k.a The Microsoft Tax). The EVO 4G is running Android, which is open source and does not require a license. No M$ Tax = cheaper MSRP.

I'd say it will be comparable to the Incredible in price, so around $199-$249 after discounts and rebates as most have said. In fact, I'm thinking more like $249 - I think Sprint can get away with charging just a bit more because of the features it has above and beyond the Incredible (WiMax, of course, plus the front facing camera and HDMI out).
It's almost the exact same hardware as the HD2. The only difference is it has an extra front facing camera, and the back camera is 8 megs instead of the 5 meg on the HD2 (but the CMOS sensor is the same size so it's likely just a software change). And of course, the WiMax antenna. But the HD2 does have the fast HSPA getting over 10 megs on speed tests so I'm not sure the WiMax is that much of an extra cost.

All of that, and the plans are about the same price too. So Look for ther Evo to cost about the same as the HD2.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:43 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

yougivemerash!!! is just getting started

LOL sold my original Touch Pro yesterday (not tp2!) for $220 on craigslist. Don't know how I sold it for that much, but I did. =D>

Will use my ancient Sanyo M1 until the EVO is released.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO & HTC TP2

Macho is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougivemerash!!! View Post
LOL sold my original Touch Pro yesterday (not tp2!) for $220 on craigslist. Don't know how I sold it for that much, but I did. =D>

Will use my ancient Sanyo M1 until the EVO is released.
yea ok... was da dude from africa????
Old 04-25-2010, 02:43 AM
Regular 'Geeker

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

Quote:
It's almost the exact same hardware as the HD2.
Notice my point was not related to hardware. I know that the HD2/EVO 4G/Incredible all share similar hardware specs. My point was that Android phones are generally cheaper because there is no software license like on WinMo phones.

Oddly enough, though, I just checked T-Mo's website and they have the HD2 for $199 (on a new line, of course)... not sure if that's how it's been priced all along or maybe they're trying to compete w/ VZW on the Incredible... btw does T-Mo even offer upgrade discounts?
Old 04-25-2010, 02:55 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrigham View Post
Notice my point was not related to hardware. I know that the HD2/EVO 4G/Incredible all share similar hardware specs. My point was that Android phones are generally cheaper because there is no software license like on WinMo phones.

Oddly enough, though, I just checked T-Mo's website and they have the HD2 for $199 (on a new line, of course)... not sure if that's how it's been priced all along or maybe they're trying to compete w/ VZW on the Incredible... btw does T-Mo even offer upgrade discounts?
The Incredible is different. It has a smaller AMOLED screen. It's closer to a Nexus One than an HD2. The HD2 is basically the exact same hardware as the Evo though. The only difference is that front camera and the CMDA/WiMax versus the GSM/HSPA of the HD2.

And I'm pretty sure T-Mobile offers upgrades (but I don't have T-Mobile so I guess I can't say for certain)...

I agree with you though- Android is free, WinMo is not. But for a general ballpark on what we should expect to pay, look at the HD2. The hardware is almost identical, and the plans are pretty similar too.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G