PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   This is the reason I can't switch to the EVO from VZW. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=118188)

tvandyck7 04-15-2010 07:25 PM

This is the reason I can't switch to the EVO from VZW.

"Usage Limitation: Sprint may terminate service if (1) more than 800 minutes, (2) a majority of minutes or (3) a majority of kilobytes in a given month are used while roaming."

I was booted from At&t's network because of this. I had an iPhone for all of 3 weeks before they cut me off. I failed to read the "fine print".

As far I know, Verizon doesn't not have this clause in their contract. Besides, I have never been able to find an area to roam in. I might be paying more per month, but at least I can depend on not getting shut down.

sebo 04-15-2010 07:48 PM

Re: This is the reason I can't switch to the EVO from VZW.

you shouldn't be on a carrier where all your minutes are going to be roaming minutes anyway.. if you're using more roam minutes than local minutes it's obviously not the correct carrier for you.

vzw will never have or get the phones sprint gets anyway, and if they do expect to wait a year or more for it,.. good luck getting the Evo on vzw though.

gTen 04-15-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvandyck7 (Post 1701558)
"Usage Limitation: Sprint may terminate service if (1) more than 800 minutes, (2) a majority of minutes or (3) a majority of kilobytes in a given month are used while roaming."

I was booted from At&t's network because of this. I had an iPhone for all of 3 weeks before they cut me off. I failed to read the "fine print".

As far I know, Verizon doesn't not have this clause in their contract. Besides, I have never been able to find an area to roam in. I might be paying more per month, but at least I can depend on not getting shut down.

First of all AT&T is a jerk..mostly with their iphone...second of all Sprint is probably the most lax carrier their is...I haven't heard any incidence of sprint terminating due to that...

tech 04-15-2010 10:22 PM

haha funny i go over 5 gig and sprint never tells me nothing and about mins on roaming i use to roam and put my phone on roaming for ev but now i dont have to i have 4g and ev but in other words i never got over charge oh yea the limitation is for data cards not ur phone and u can roma on phone it goes twards ur mins or ur night and weekend but if u every switch to sprint make sure u get good coverage becuase 1x blows i was 1x for like 7 yeas until this year we got our ev and 4g about 10 month ago yea sprint skip ev

elephant007 04-15-2010 10:53 PM

Sprint does set a limit to how many roaming minutes you can use, lets face it, the more roam you use the more it costs Sprint. They are able to offer a limited amount of roam because they pay fees to people who own the towers, if you go over the limit they have to pay overages that they pass to you, makes business sense.
As mentioned previously, you should find a provider in which you roam less on. Roaming means you're using a tower not owned or leased by your provider.
As far as data limits, I know I use a lot of data and have never received an additional fee for the data, you can even use roaming data with Sprint (within reason) without being charged extra.
All carriers have a cap on roaming, as I said it only make business sense.
http://stopthecap.com/2010/03/01/cla...-data-charges/

Carla 04-15-2010 11:18 PM

I got a "warning" a while back for roaming. Nothing ever came of it lol, so I am not to worried.

tokuzumi 04-16-2010 10:46 AM

This is truly a YMMV situation. In the Atlanta area, Sprint functions flawlessly. And with 4G up and running, I'm ready to go for the Evo release. I only go into roaming when I'm in certain parts of our "metro" system.

Adrianh85 04-16-2010 11:04 AM

well when i get my hands on a evo i will have it on verizon asap, and i dont mean via roaming!!

animez 04-17-2010 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebo (Post 1701592)
vzw will never have or get the phones sprint gets anyway, and if they do expect to wait a year or more for it,.. good luck getting the Evo on vzw though.

But they will have the HTC Incredible (possibly this month) which is quite nice. No 4G, but VZW has none to offer yet.

Iron.Wraith 04-17-2010 07:01 AM

My brother was on Sprint recently. Their coverage is very slim here in E Ky. He was traveling back and forth to Tenneesee due to work. His wife's phone stayed in a roam area and they eventually cut that phone from the contract. I have line of sight to a Sprint tower from my house so I'm good to go. Althought it will be after the next ice age before I get 4G here :)

From what I've seen Sprint, seems to let some slide and not others.

I have a friend on Verizon who roams most of the time here and has had the contract for a year at least I think.

I can't wait to hear some feedback on the EVO when it hits

w2n 04-17-2010 07:29 AM

i have Sprint & have tethered repeatedly when necessary for network access. i've never been threatened nor worried. I also don't have a SERO plan. Mostly because i have 8 handsets and am giving them about $180 per month on average & add to that i've been their customer for the past decade...

I think they do treat some people differently who deserve it because of their situation or circumstances. It's how business works. If you're abusing the system and complaining all the time, they'll kick you to the curb. If you're using the service reasonably, pay on-time, in full, and don't waste their time with petty issues, you can quickly become a VIP.

sebo 04-17-2010 03:58 PM

yeah i agree.. if you have just a $30 sero plan and contantly are roaming and using a lot of data, it may be worth it for them to get rid of you.. however if you have a couple lines and pay $90-$100+ a month then they may treat you differently. im pretty sure they manually audit accounts and it's not automated..

abrigham 04-18-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron.Wraith (Post 1703914)
Althought it will be after the next ice age before I get 4G here :)

Don't count yourself out just yet. It's really not up to Sprint where their 4G network shows up... they aren't the ones actually building it. They have contracted with ClearWire to piggyback on their Wi-Max network, so it's ClearWire who will decide where 4G coverage gets put in... I'm sure Sprint has some input since they are a pretty big investor in ClearWire but ultimately the final say comes from ClearWire, I'm sure.

cornelious2 04-18-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abrigham (Post 1706144)
Don't count yourself out just yet. It's really not up to Sprint where their 4G network shows up... they aren't the ones actually building it. They have contracted with ClearWire to piggyback on their Wi-Max network, so it's ClearWire who will decide where 4G coverage gets put in... I'm sure Sprint has some input since they are a pretty big investor in ClearWire but ultimately the final say comes from ClearWire, I'm sure.

sprint is the supreme share holder (over 50%) so what they say pretty much goes.

sprintgirl 04-19-2010 12:59 AM

sprint's new plans include nationwide, no roaming...69.99 individual 129.99 share plan. roaming is not even detailed on the bill. but do read your contract regardless of carrier. no worries. and can't wait for 4g to go nationwide. no projected date announced officially yet but can't be that far off. :)

cwbeasley 04-19-2010 03:25 AM

Please don't believe the hype, sprint does term people for excessive roaming. What they don't tell you is that you only get 2 letters, the first a warning letter, and if you continue that, they send you a final letter.

That final letter is EXACTLY that. If you really do read it carefully, the final letter, it tells you to find another carrier. What it does not tell you, is that the system will automate your termination. These come in waves. We just had a wave of these happen this month, for letters sent out as far back as August.

It IS automated. Sprint does not manually review these.

We got a lot of calls about people curious why their phones suddenly stopped working, even though they had just paid their bill. Upon further research into the account, we discovered they had all been previously warned.

Long story short, excessive roaming applies to voice capable devices, and to data only capable devices. The majority of the time most people don't violate this to the point where the system locks on to them, but don't think that it doesn't exist.

And just know if it happens to you, there's absolutely nothing account services can do for you, we just can't.

My 2 cents.

Pao 04-19-2010 08:50 AM

You live in New Mexico....

Isn't it kinda guaranteed that you're gonna be limited on who you can use for wireless services?

tvandyck7 04-19-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebo (Post 1701592)
you shouldn't be on a carrier where all your minutes are going to be roaming minutes anyway.. if you're using more roam minutes than local minutes it's obviously not the correct carrier for you.

That's just it... I didn't read the fine print.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pao (Post 1706637)
You live in New Mexico....

Isn't it kinda guaranteed that you're gonna be limited on who you can use for wireless services?

LOL](*,). Yeah. I have lived here (due to work) for the past 9 months. Service is VERY limited. Verizon and Sprint are both good where I live, but Sprint craps out as soon as I get out of town. Verizon pretty much works anywhere I go (I have a Nextel work phone that's how I can tell). I move around the country alot so I have to stick with Verizon to be on the safe side.

tvandyck7 04-19-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwbeasley (Post 1706487)
Please don't believe the hype, sprint does term people for excessive roaming. What they don't tell you is that you only get 2 letters, the first a warning letter, and if you continue that, they send you a final letter.

That final letter is EXACTLY that. If you really do read it carefully, the final letter, it tells you to find another carrier. What it does not tell you, is that the system will automate your termination. These come in waves. We just had a wave of these happen this month, for letters sent out as far back as August.

It IS automated. Sprint does not manually review these.

We got a lot of calls about people curious why their phones suddenly stopped working, even though they had just paid their bill. Upon further research into the account, we discovered they had all been previously warned.

Long story short, excessive roaming applies to voice capable devices, and to data only capable devices. The majority of the time most people don't violate this to the point where the system locks on to them, but don't think that it doesn't exist.

And just know if it happens to you, there's absolutely nothing account services can do for you, we just can't.

My 2 cents.

Sorry for the double post, I didn't want to make my last post super long. This is kinda how AT&T cut me off. First, they sent a text as a first warning followed by a letter. 2nd, they removed my off network privilages and a 2nd letter stating final warning. My iPhone was then rendered useless since I am in a 100% roaming area. They then charged me an early termination fee to cancel (after returning my iPhone 3GS 32gb), even though they are the ones who canned me. They even charged me an additional $150 for the crappy service I received (a total of $325). I had to threaten them with my lawyer to get out of it all. AT&T is a joke.
Basically, I never want to have to go through that again... for any phone.
IT'S TRUE THAT A PHONE ONLY AS GOOD AS IT'S NETWORK!

pimpsuprazx 04-19-2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvandyck7 (Post 1701558)

why would you switch? isn't the HTC incredible coming to verizon?

tvandyck7 04-19-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprintgirl (Post 1706393)
sprint's new plans include nationwide, no roaming...69.99 individual 129.99 share plan. roaming is not even detailed on the bill. but do read your contract regardless of carrier. no worries. and can't wait for 4g to go nationwide. no projected date announced officially yet but can't be that far off. :)

That really doesn't save me much money. With VZW, I pay $90 base + $29 unlimited data + $9.99 for 2nd line = $129.99. Just like everyone else, after taxes, surcharges, state and local fees, my bill is $155-$165/month.
It would only benefit me if my wife wanted a smartphone too, which she doesn't seem to take interest in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpsuprazx (Post 1707291)
why would you switch? isn't the HTC incredible coming to verizon?

Yes, and I'm looking forward to it.

cwbeasley 04-20-2010 02:26 AM

Maybe someone who works closer to the finance side of it can correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I see it, voice is cheap, it's the data that costs a lot. So, based on that, if you're roaming, a carrier isn't paying that much for voice services on another network, but they are paying a significant amount more for data services on another network, and your MRC is at that point not covering the cost versus what you are incurring.

From my research @ sprint, that's their basis, very very loosely, behind why they and other carriers will boot you for things.

Honestly, there isn't a single carrier that doesn't have a flaw. If I have to have a flawed service, I'm gonna get the one with the most perks, lowest price, and the best selection of devices to play with. If I really really need to call someone, I'll just pick up a landline. Hasn't failed yet.

abrigham 04-20-2010 06:53 AM

Honestly, I don't blame you for sticking with the carrier that has the best coverage for you. However, I'm curious as to why you're basing what Sprint's coverage is on your Nextel phone. Yes, I know Sprint owns Nextel, but most Nextel phones use the iDEN network, not CDMA. If you're Nextel phone is a CDMA phone, them please forgive the stupid question, but that was the one thing that stuck out to me from one of your previous posts.

tvandyck7 04-20-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abrigham (Post 1708490)
Honestly, I don't blame you for sticking with the carrier that has the best coverage for you. However, I'm curious as to why you're basing what Sprint's coverage is on your Nextel phone. Yes, I know Sprint owns Nextel, but most Nextel phones use the iDEN network, not CDMA. If you're Nextel phone is a CDMA phone, them please forgive the stupid question, but that was the one thing that stuck out to me from one of your previous posts.

It's the Blackberry Nextel. I'm not sure which service it uses. I'm pretty sure it uses data over Sprint's cdma network though. Don't quote me on that though.

leegorkhalee 04-20-2010 04:42 PM

Sprint do have a small device called airwave. If you are roaming in some particular areas like home or work and you have internet access (cable/DSL) , you can plug this device in and this will give you coverage for 5000 sq feet regardless of where you are.
If you have decent internet connection is really good, as you can fully use 3g (not sure about wimax though)
and you do have 30 days to try it out anyways, without any charge. Not even the monthly charge if you are not satisfied.

Deft_MV 04-24-2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvandyck7 (Post 1708837)
It's the Blackberry Nextel. I'm not sure which service it uses. I'm pretty sure it uses data over Sprint's cdma network though. Don't quote me on that though.

tvandyck7, if you have the blackberry 8350i it runs completely off of the sprints iden network. It is a safe bet that almost all phones on sprint that have an "i" in the model number will run off of this network. All other devices run off of the cdma network that in most cases is much larger. Hope that helps.

sanmanc 04-24-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leegorkhalee (Post 1709517)
Sprint do have a small device called airwave. If you are roaming in some particular areas like home or work and you have internet access (cable/DSL) , you can plug this device in and this will give you coverage for 5000 sq feet regardless of where you are.
If you have decent internet connection is really good, as you can fully use 3g (not sure about wimax though)
and you do have 30 days to try it out anyways, without any charge. Not even the monthly charge if you are not satisfied.

Airwave is the way to go in your situation. What I would do is get the Evo and see if you do roam in your area. If you consistantly roam then call Sprint and speak to retentions. Let them know that you are in an area with poor coverage and you really want to stay with them. Ask them about the Airwave and if there is something they can work out so they can retain you as a customer. If this doesn't work you do have 30 days to return your purchase.

entropism 04-24-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrianh85 (Post 1702496)
well when i get my hands on a evo i will have it on verizon asap, and i dont mean via roaming!!

Oh, good, commiting a federal offense? AWESOME!

And as for comparing Sprint's service and reception to Verizon because you use a Nextel phone is like comparing a Porsche to a BMW because you've driven a Honda.

jbearamus 04-25-2010 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrianh85 (Post 1702496)

why bother? the important thing about the evo is 4G WiMax which you won't be able to use, you'd be better off to save yourself the trouble and get the Incredible which with the exception of a 3.7" vs 4.3" screen is the exact same thing (except the 4G obviously)
and yes as somebody noted it does launch this week, the 29th to be precise

and for the OP:
just as its been said, the reason sprint has that clause is because it does cost them too much to pay for a customer to be on roaming all the time, verizon doesnt have the clause because they don't have any where to roam, they have coverage everywhere that sprint does, so its not like sprint is being a bunch of douche bags just of the sake of doing it

before ruling them out because of some random limitation, i would use the coverage map and see if they have their own actual cdma network in your area and then decide

facesnorth 04-27-2010 06:56 PM

Do you think someone will figure out how to flash it so that it can be used on Verizon? This has been done so many times before, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to do be done with the Evo.

Is this what Adrianh85 was referring to? entropism, are you saying doing this is a federal offense? I've never heard that before. Or did I miss what he meant when he said he would be using it on Verizon?

tokuzumi 04-27-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by facesnorth (Post 1722979)
Do you think someone will figure out how to flash it so that it can be used on Verizon? This has been done so many times before, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to do be done with the Evo.

Is this what Adrianh85 was referring to? entropism, are you saying doing this is a federal offense? I've never heard that before. Or did I miss what he meant when he said he would be using it on Verizon?

Has anyone put a sprint device on Verizon since the early Touch Pro days?

jbearamus 04-27-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by facesnorth (Post 1722979)

In theory it is possible to flash the Evo to VZW but likely won't happen

and flashing it to another network isn't illegal its just hard to do, now cloning an ESN (which i think i read someone mention) is illegal and because it is that's all i'm saying about it.... all fear the BanHammer!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokuzumi (Post 1723290)
Has anyone put a sprint device on Verizon since the early Touch Pro days?

not that i've heard of, and my brother who just started at a VZW call center mentioned the phrase "closed network" when I mentioned we were talking about this on here, so much for all the "open" talk a few years ago