PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid 2
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

tvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: This is the reason I can't switch to the EVO from VZW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintgirl View Post
sprint's new plans include nationwide, no roaming...69.99 individual 129.99 share plan. roaming is not even detailed on the bill. but do read your contract regardless of carrier. no worries. and can't wait for 4g to go nationwide. no projected date announced officially yet but can't be that far off.
That really doesn't save me much money. With VZW, I pay $90 base + $29 unlimited data + $9.99 for 2nd line = $129.99. Just like everyone else, after taxes, surcharges, state and local fees, my bill is $155-$165/month.
It would only benefit me if my wife wanted a smartphone too, which she doesn't seem to take interest in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpsuprazx View Post
why would you switch? isn't the HTC incredible coming to verizon?
Yes, and I'm looking forward to it.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

cwbeasley is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcwbeasley is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcwbeasley is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcwbeasley is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to cwbeasley Send a message via Yahoo to cwbeasley

Maybe someone who works closer to the finance side of it can correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I see it, voice is cheap, it's the data that costs a lot. So, based on that, if you're roaming, a carrier isn't paying that much for voice services on another network, but they are paying a significant amount more for data services on another network, and your MRC is at that point not covering the cost versus what you are incurring.

From my research @ sprint, that's their basis, very very loosely, behind why they and other carriers will boot you for things.

Honestly, there isn't a single carrier that doesn't have a flaw. If I have to have a flawed service, I'm gonna get the one with the most perks, lowest price, and the best selection of devices to play with. If I really really need to call someone, I'll just pick up a landline. Hasn't failed yet.

Nope, I just read a lot.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

Honestly, I don't blame you for sticking with the carrier that has the best coverage for you. However, I'm curious as to why you're basing what Sprint's coverage is on your Nextel phone. Yes, I know Sprint owns Nextel, but most Nextel phones use the iDEN network, not CDMA. If you're Nextel phone is a CDMA phone, them please forgive the stupid question, but that was the one thing that stuck out to me from one of your previous posts.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid 2
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

tvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrigham View Post
Honestly, I don't blame you for sticking with the carrier that has the best coverage for you. However, I'm curious as to why you're basing what Sprint's coverage is on your Nextel phone. Yes, I know Sprint owns Nextel, but most Nextel phones use the iDEN network, not CDMA. If you're Nextel phone is a CDMA phone, them please forgive the stupid question, but that was the one thing that stuck out to me from one of your previous posts.
It's the Blackberry Nextel. I'm not sure which service it uses. I'm pretty sure it uses data over Sprint's cdma network though. Don't quote me on that though.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro

leegorkhalee is a n00b

Sprint do have a small device called airwave. If you are roaming in some particular areas like home or work and you have internet access (cable/DSL) , you can plug this device in and this will give you coverage for 5000 sq feet regardless of where you are.
If you have decent internet connection is really good, as you can fully use 3g (not sure about wimax though)
and you do have 30 days to try it out anyways, without any charge. Not even the monthly charge if you are not satisfied.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

Deft_MV is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvandyck7 View Post
It's the Blackberry Nextel. I'm not sure which service it uses. I'm pretty sure it uses data over Sprint's cdma network though. Don't quote me on that though.
tvandyck7, if you have the blackberry 8350i it runs completely off of the sprints iden network. It is a safe bet that almost all phones on sprint that have an "i" in the model number will run off of this network. All other devices run off of the cdma network that in most cases is much larger. Hope that helps.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:54 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegorkhalee View Post
Sprint do have a small device called airwave. If you are roaming in some particular areas like home or work and you have internet access (cable/DSL) , you can plug this device in and this will give you coverage for 5000 sq feet regardless of where you are.
If you have decent internet connection is really good, as you can fully use 3g (not sure about wimax though)
and you do have 30 days to try it out anyways, without any charge. Not even the monthly charge if you are not satisfied.
Airwave is the way to go in your situation. What I would do is get the Evo and see if you do roam in your area. If you consistantly roam then call Sprint and speak to retentions. Let them know that you are in an area with poor coverage and you really want to stay with them. Ask them about the Airwave and if there is something they can work out so they can retain you as a customer. If this doesn't work you do have 30 days to return your purchase.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

entropism is keeping up the good workentropism is keeping up the good workentropism is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianh85 View Post
well when i get my hands on a evo i will have it on verizon asap, and i dont mean via roaming!!
Oh, good, commiting a federal offense? AWESOME!

And as for comparing Sprint's service and reception to Verizon because you use a Nextel phone is like comparing a Porsche to a BMW because you've driven a Honda.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:21 AM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianh85 View Post
well when i get my hands on a evo i will have it on verizon asap, and i dont mean via roaming!!
why bother? the important thing about the evo is 4G WiMax which you won't be able to use, you'd be better off to save yourself the trouble and get the Incredible which with the exception of a 3.7" vs 4.3" screen is the exact same thing (except the 4G obviously)
and yes as somebody noted it does launch this week, the 29th to be precise

and for the OP:
just as its been said, the reason sprint has that clause is because it does cost them too much to pay for a customer to be on roaming all the time, verizon doesnt have the clause because they don't have any where to roam, they have coverage everywhere that sprint does, so its not like sprint is being a bunch of douche bags just of the sake of doing it

before ruling them out because of some random limitation, i would use the coverage map and see if they have their own actual cdma network in your area and then decide
Old 04-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Droid, TP2
Carrier: PagePlus

facesnorth is a n00b

Do you think someone will figure out how to flash it so that it can be used on Verizon? This has been done so many times before, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to do be done with the Evo.

Is this what Adrianh85 was referring to? entropism, are you saying doing this is a federal offense? I've never heard that before. Or did I miss what he meant when he said he would be using it on Verizon?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G