PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 04:58 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Battery specs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebo View Post
i understand that... but the Tp2 has a 1500mah and that phone is half as powerful/smaller.

sure i agree with the analogy that phone are getting more efficient internally, but if they can overkill with a 1ghz cpu they can overkill the battery..

again im not really complaining.. just wondering why they aren't bumping the battery.. i bet the EVo has the same talk time hours as the TP2.. CDMA uses more power than GSM... a TP2 with a 1500Mah battery on GSM would probably be 10hrs talk time..

with the Evo having hotspot/wifi/etc and all that technology, i don't see battery being all that impressive on this phone.
The snapdragon is actually more efficient then the MSM7xxx chips(TP2)...not to mention they did not include full imageon drivers which actually saves battery life by processing gfx efficiently.

As for battery they tried to make the phone as slim as possible..thats why only a 1500mah battery...

The problem in battery tech is that while they can easily increase the amount of mah a battery can hold, it is harder to have it last as long...If i remember correctly around 300-500 charges/discharges..thats why when you first get your phone it lasts the entire day and a few month later it lasts like an hour or 2 and its out of energy.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 04-14-2010, 08:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: sprint

mbaseball3 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

thought snapdragon processors were said to use so little energy that typical battery specs would allow the phone to play 720p video for like 7 hours straight and talk time of 7 days? guess that never happened huh....

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Hero is flying
Old 04-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2
Threadstarter

sebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

in the end it's the screen that uses most of the battery... i guarantee there will be little difference between the TP2 battery usage and the Evo, but we'll see... the screen is just too big for such a small battery, plain and simple. HTC likes to "recycle" batteries from other models to save money.. they aren't going to create a battery for each phone they release.. soon they will realize they need to upgrade them along with their phones.

i may just buy a hat with an integrated solar panel and attach my phone to it lol..

Old 04-14-2010, 09:23 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaseball3 View Post
thought snapdragon processors were said to use so little energy that typical battery specs would allow the phone to play 720p video for like 7 hours straight and talk time of 7 days? guess that never happened huh....

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
The processor is low power consumption but other component take power as well. So if you turn off your screen, use the HDMI port and turn off cellphone and data connection you may get video of 5 hours maybe(this is a guess)

As for talk time..I don't think it promised 7 day talk time..it was 7 day idle..
Old 04-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

with my nexus it shows exactly what is consuming the battery power and this is what it currently reads, maybe it will help you guys figure out the answer you're looking for.

Display-85%
Android system-4%
cell standby-4%
phone idle-2%
mediaserver-2%
android live Wallpaper-2%

Display is definitely whats killing it and i have my disply set to only 30%.
Google is the next skynet
Old 04-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2
Threadstarter

sebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

btw, this is what i said earlier. samsung and LG are both attaching panels as a battery cover..would be cool if HTC phones had an option to purchase a battery door like this to charge the phone when you're on the go..

Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebo View Post
btw, this is what i said earlier. samsung and LG are both attaching panels as a battery cover..would be cool if HTC phones had an option to purchase a battery door like this to charge the phone when you're on the go..

yeah that is the only thing i'm going to give to palm, there backdoor battery charger is off the hook, as a techie i'm jealous. the way they can just place it on the dock is nice, hopefully htc steps their game up in that manner.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: hero cdma
Carrier: sprint

drksilenc is keeping up the good workdrksilenc is keeping up the good work

but all of u guys are forgetting one small thing. there are better batteries. they just got way to much. you can buy 5 spares for the price of one good battery. theres a new ion type battery thats not ion. and for the same size battery that the evo will have it would cost a few hundred dollars
Old 04-15-2010, 11:19 AM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

As long as the battery lasts me 24 hours of some good usage, I don't really care. If there's a technology product that needs a battery overhaul, it's laptops. My laptop (not a netbook) has one of the best battery life ratings on the market (about 9.5 hrs on ULV) and although it's a lot, I'd like to see the technology get better so laptops can go a whole day without a charge.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G