PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

sebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Battery specs...

such a massive phone and it only has a 1500mAh battery, probably the same one found in the TP2.

with technology advancing in mobile phones, they're forgetting about the battery.. it's time for some new battery technology..

the Evo is a big enough phone that imo they could of used atleast a 2000mAh battery without much added weight.

not a big deal, but battery does need to be improved, specially since the phones are getting bigger CPU and a bigger screen..

Last edited by sebo; 04-13-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Blabber mouth
Pocket PC: MoPho
Carrier: Sprint.... for now

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Battery specs...

battery tech just simply has not improved all that much in the past few years, once the next breakthrough happens we should be good though.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

sorge is becoming a great contributor

I think it'll be ok, though I do agree we need to see "better" batteries sooner or later. The hero holds up well with the same battery. Remember also the snapdragon processor is suppose to be more efficient, meaning it using the battery it has better. Also its a smart phone....if you have a smart phone you have to be ok with the fact you might need a car charger, AA portable battery charger, or another wall charger for work. If you want to not charge every day, I suggest that new Sanyo flip phone.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I think in a decade or so, when we've started to scratch the surface of nano technologies, we'll have much better batteries available. For now we've hit the plateau of Li-poly batteries and it's tough to squeeze out extra juice while maintaining space efficiency.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

sebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
I think in a decade or so, when we've started to scratch the surface of nano technologies, we'll have much better batteries available. For now we've hit the plateau of Li-poly batteries and it's tough to squeeze out extra juice while maintaining space efficiency.
they figured out how to store 32GB of data on a nail-size (mircoSD) chip, they can make a battery not needing to be charged often. i bet if the Evo had a OLED screen that alone would improve battery drastically, but i am not nit-picking here.

heck, they can some how use the screen as solar panel to charge the battery.. technology only goes as far as the money you're willing to spend
Old 04-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebo View Post
they figured out how to store 32GB of data on a nail-size (mircoSD) chip, they can make a battery not needing to be charged often. i bet if the Evo had a OLED screen that alone would improve battery drastically, but i am not nit-picking here.

heck, they can some how use the screen as solar panel to charge the battery.. technology only goes as far as the money you're willing to spend
OLED is a good emerging technology, but it's not without it's drawbacks. It's actually possible for an OLED screen to use more energy than a normal LED screens, particularly while displaying white. Unfortunately Li-poly is as good as they come so far. Battery technology doesn't enjoy the same benefits of transistor size reductions and is limited by simple chemical reactions. Until we can leverage nanoparticles or carbon nanotubes in a cost effective way, it's tough to get any more juice. Battery technology grows in leaps as opposed to gradually. As the next 'better' battery components is discovered, capacity/charge rates/energy density leaps ahead. i.e. from Ni-Cd to NiMH to Li-ion to Li-poly.

Even the super high end Tesla Roadster only uses Li-ion batteries and it takes up like half the trunk.

Last edited by Darkjedi; 04-14-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Krazy4Real is just getting started

Phones are getting more powerful, but they are also getting more efficient. When manufacturers reduce the die size of processors, they use less voltage and produce less heat. This results in the same size battery being able to power newer and faster devices for the same amount of time. Battery life should not be an issue on this phone.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

OP I'm not sure what battery size you were expecting but compared to its equal the HD2, the Evo has a bigger battery by 270MaH.
Google is the next skynet
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:40 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
OLED is a good emerging technology, but it's not without it's drawbacks. It's actually possible for an OLED screen to use more energy than a normal LED screens, particularly while displaying white. Unfortunately Li-poly is as good as they come so far. Battery technology doesn't enjoy the same benefits of transistor size reductions and is limited by simple chemical reactions. Until we can leverage nanoparticles or carbon nanotubes in a cost effective way, it's tough to get any more juice. Battery technology grows in leaps as opposed to gradually. As the next 'better' battery components is discovered, capacity/charge rates/energy density leaps ahead. i.e. from Ni-Cd to NiMH to Li-ion to Li-poly.

Even the super high end Tesla Roadster only uses Li-ion batteries and it takes up like half the trunk.
I thought they fixed the OLED white issue by using RGBW instead of RGB to display white...as for energy saving..it actually is possible for OLED screens to act as solar panels..they had a few signs deployed which use 0 energy and just charge off solar power.

It may be just me but I think the future of portable devices lies in making cloth that is able to absorb heat and solar and wirelessly transfer the energy to the device. Maybe in 50 years >.>

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 04-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
OP I'm not sure what battery size you were expecting but compared to its equal the HD2, the Evo has a bigger battery by 270MaH.
i understand that... but the Tp2 has a 1500mah and that phone is half as powerful/smaller.

sure i agree with the analogy that phone are getting more efficient internally, but if they can overkill with a 1ghz cpu they can overkill the battery..

again im not really complaining.. just wondering why they aren't bumping the battery.. i bet the EVo has the same talk time hours as the TP2.. CDMA uses more power than GSM... a TP2 with a 1500Mah battery on GSM would probably be 10hrs talk time..

with the Evo having hotspot/wifi/etc and all that technology, i don't see battery being all that impressive on this phone.

Last edited by sebo; 04-14-2010 at 03:58 PM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G