PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 01:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo No 4g
Carrier: Sprint

akayareal is keeping up the good workakayareal is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Who here is waiting on the EVO v2 with a keyboard and better specs?

Does anyone know how good the speaker is on the HD2? That is another great improvement the TP2 had over the TP, the speaker was loud and very clear.

Evo on 3g

Old 04-13-2010, 03:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

saibot is keeping up the good worksaibot is keeping up the good work

I've been big on the physical keyboard for a while. Once even had a physical keyboard that I hated because it was too flat and didn't give much feedback. Haptic feedback doesn't help because the surface is still flat and I cannot feel the buttons. Why is that important? Because not feeling the buttions forces you to look at the keyboard. Right now I can type without looking at my device occasionally glancing for spelling errors.

With bigger screens and swype not requiring much accuracy, perhaps I can train myself to be able to type without looking at my device again, but I'd have to agree with the idea that physical keyboards are on their way out in exchange for a thinner device. The Droid didn't have much of a keyboard and an add on such as that on the PS3 controllers doesn't seem like a bad idea for those who still want the keyboard.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

I've been using swype for the past few days and I must say I'm impressed. But would I drop my physical keyboard for swype? Absolutely not. I average 3K text a month and email frequently on my phone. I don't care how big the keys are or how good the auto correction/prediction is, you still can't beat a physical keyboard.

I guess if you use it enough, you get pretty good at using the on screen keyboard but I will always prefer a phone with a keyboard than without. Someone said earlier that HTC is moving away from Hardware KB's. I say thank goodness cause they absolutely suck at it. I went through 3 Touch Pro's in less than a year and I wasn't the only one. People hate on how the moment keyboard looks but I could care less. I'll go for functionality in the regard. It's not like you gotta look at it all the time, only when you need to send a message quickly. And just because Apple sent the standard with the Iphone doesn't mean everyone should follow suit and drop the keyboard. There are still users who would rather have a physical keyboard.

Personally, I'm staying away from HTC phones period. Their quality control seems to suck and their only real concern is releasing a new phone, not making a quality product. People pay $300+ for these phones and there always seems to be something with HTC. Granted every phone has a few quirks but to each his own. I've had zero problems with my moment (hardware wise) and I can live with that.

Last edited by blazinazn; 04-13-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinazn View Post
I've been using swype for the past few days and I must say I'm impressed. But would I drop my physical keyboard for swype? Absolutely not. I average 3K text a month and email frequently on my phone. I don't care how big the keys are or how good the auto correction/prediction is, you still can't beat a physical keyboard.

I guess if you use it enough, you get pretty good at using the on screen keyboard but I will always prefer a phone with a keyboard than without. Someone said earlier that HTC is moving away from Hardware KB's. I say thank goodness cause they absolutely suck at it. I went through 3 Touch Pro's in less than a year and I wasn't the only one. People hate on how the moment keyboard looks but I could care less. I'll go for functionality in the regard. It's not like you gotta look at it all the time, only when you need to send a message quickly. And just because Apple sent the standard with the Iphone doesn't mean everyone should follow suit and drop the keyboard. There are still users who would rather have a physical keyboard.

Personally, I'm staying away from HTC phones period. Their quality control seems to suck and their only real concern is releasing a new phone, not making a quality product. People pay $300+ for these phones and there always seems to be something with HTC. Granted every phone has a few quirks but to each his own. I've had zero problems with my moment (hardware wise) and I can live with that.
Yes HTC did a bad job with the TP but the mogul had a good keyboard and the TP2 had the best keyboard of all time, so they're not that bad. My boy's moment keyboard never lights up or when it does it turns and its almost impossible to get it to turn on without sliding it closed then open again, but everyone's situation is different.
Google is the next skynet
Old 04-13-2010, 11:17 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
Yes HTC did a bad job with the TP but the mogul had a good keyboard and the TP2 had the best keyboard of all time, so they're not that bad. My boy's moment keyboard never lights up or when it does it turns and its almost impossible to get it to turn on without sliding it closed then open again, but everyone's situation is different.
Yeah it's funny how all the people hating on HTC keyboards are never talking about the TP2.

The TP2 is the most recent HTC keyboard. If you aren't talking about that keyboard, then your information is obsolete.

The TP2 has the best keyboard ever made on a phone, and I doubt anyone who has ever used one will say any different.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
Yeah it's funny how all the people hating on HTC keyboards are never talking about the TP2.

The TP2 is the most recent HTC keyboard. If you aren't talking about that keyboard, then your information is obsolete.

The TP2 has the best keyboard ever made on a phone, and I doubt anyone who has ever used one will say any different.
Wasn't about to get the TP2 after my experience with the TP. Be that as it may, the KB still doesn't make up for how crappy WM is, was and always will be. That fantastic keyboard doesn't make up for the fact that the TP2 had pretty much the same exact specs but with a bigger screen and updated KB. Didn't make much sense to me to"upgrade" to a bigger screen when the battery life was already terrible, despite all the tweaking.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:50 AM
VIP Member

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinazn View Post
Wasn't about to get the TP2 after my experience with the TP. Be that as it may, the KB still doesn't make up for how crappy WM is, was and always will be. That fantastic keyboard doesn't make up for the fact that the TP2 had pretty much the same exact specs but with a bigger screen and updated KB. Didn't make much sense to me to"upgrade" to a bigger screen when the battery life was already terrible, despite all the tweaking.
The TP2 was WAY better than the TP. I know all the people who don't know what they're talking about like to say it's basically the same phone, but it isn't. It has the bigger screen, better relolution, brighter looking screen (I think it looks brighter and shinier), and the screen is way more responsive to fingers, the screen tilts so you can sit it on your desk and watch videos or surf the net, the keyboard is way better, the battery life is way better, and the device itself is way faster and more responsive. It also has that automatic speakerphone when you lay the phone face down, with way better speakers than the TP, and the noise cancelling. Plus, the GSM version has the most awesome conference calling ever put on a mobile phone, and the CDMA version has a 3.5mm headphone jack. There is just no comparing the 2 devices.

Put it like this- when I bought my TP, I used it for like a week and then put it away and went back to my AT&T Tilt. When I got my TP2, it was by far the best phone I had ever used.

Last edited by BlackDynamite; 04-13-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:13 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

I dont know about all that... i had the tp and the tp2 and honestly the tp2 wasnt that big of an upgrade for me aside from the keyboard and the screen. Software wise I still had to do a ton of tweaks on it to get it to function like I wanted. It was a straight phone but definitely not the best ive ever owned. Not to mention I actually had more problems with my tp2 than I did with my TP and had to get it replaced twice. First the vibrate motor in it went out and then the thing just stopped working altogether for no reason. Still had to reset it constantly because of lockups... just got frustrated with it altogether which is the biggest reason as to why im on android now.

For ME the nexus is definitely the best ive had so far and im sure that'll change once the evo drops. Personally i'm not a fan of WM anymore either so... it is what it is.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:26 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I dont know about all that... i had the tp and the tp2 and honestly the tp2 wasnt that big of an upgrade for me aside from the keyboard and the screen. Software wise I still had to do a ton of tweaks on it to get it to function like I wanted. It was a straight phone but definitely not the best ive ever owned. Not to mention I actually had more problems with my tp2 than I did with my TP and had to get it replaced twice. First the vibrate motor in it went out and then the thing just stopped working altogether for no reason. Still had to reset it constantly because of lockups... just got frustrated with it altogether which is the biggest reason as to why im on android now.

For ME the nexus is definitely the best ive had so far and im sure that'll change once the evo drops. Personally i'm not a fan of WM anymore either so... it is what it is.
We all know you're a WM hater now that you moved on, but tell me this- when you got your TP2 and had been using it for like a week, which phone did you think was the best you had ever owned at that point? Like I said, after about a week on my TP, I retired it and went back to my Tilt (and lots of others on XDA did the same thing- I know you Sprint users didn't have that option though). I don't think anyone ever put their TP2 down after a week and went back to a TP...

Don't blame those tweaks on WM either. That's entirely an HTC and Sprint (or whichever carrier) problem. My unlocked European Touch Pro 2 didn't have any carrier ROM, and it was smooth as butter right out of the box on AT&T (after installing SPB Mobile Shell, of course). I know Sprint (and every other carrier) likes to load up their ROMs with junkware (which is why MS took that ability away in Win Phone 7) but that doesn't mean the WinMo under it was the problem. The fact that you could actually "fix" it with tweaks means WinMo was actually okay, but the "tweaks" Sprint and HTC put on it were the problem.

Last edited by BlackDynamite; 04-13-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:10 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

How can I NOT blame the tweaks on winmo when I havent had to do them on any other handset BUT winmo? I didnt have to do registry tweaks on either of my android phones to get them not to be slow... I didnt have to flash any roms or any of that. Why would I blame it on HTC when they made the nexus as well? Your logic makes no sense... as usual. I've had winmo across EVERY single carrier except verizon and they ALL needed to be tweaked just to get the normal functionality that android gives me right out of the box. PLENTY of people that have made the switch have agreed with this I dont know why its so hard for YOU to believe.

And what kind of logic is "the tp2 was the best phone ive had" for the first week? Wouldnt that apply to ANY phone that i've upgraded to? And to be honest I didnt care much for winmo after the FIRST touch pro... I just so happened to get upgraded to the tp2 for free so I took it. Had it been required for me to buy it I never would've had it to begin with.

Funny thing about it is, tons of people have and are switching from winmo to Android so obviously im not alone in my thoughts. As a matter of fact, of most users that switch to android from other OS MOST of them come from winmo. And ive already posted the article on here since I know you'll be whining for a "source." But im not going to argue back and forth with you all day.. not my cup of tea.

Again, the nexus is the best phone i've ever owned point blank, period.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G