PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 03:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo No 4g
Carrier: Sprint

akayareal is keeping up the good workakayareal is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Who here is waiting on the EVO v2 with a keyboard and better specs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
much wider, thinner but much longer and wider.
Well i dont care about length. In all reality, the only thing im nervous about with this phone is the battery power. It being a CDMA phone alone puts the battery power at a disadvantage. Thats not factoring in the screen size or how it does when connected to 4g.

Evo on 3g

Old 04-12-2010, 03:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
Well I can certainly see your point. No argument from me there. My disagreement is when someone comes in and says something ridiculous like "keyboards are dead. You won't have a keyboard option. You might as well get this phone because nobody makes keyboard phones anymore..."

But you and me are on the same page for the most part. There will be other options for people who like keyboards. The size of my Touch Pro 2 doesn't bother me at all- and it's nowhere near as big Hitachi G1000 I used back in the day, so I would be more than happy with an Evo that has a keyboard (assuming it's about the same size as the TP2- give or take a few mm).

In all honesty, I'm positive an Evo with a keyboard would be thinner than a TP2, and maybe a couple mm wider and/or longer. The Evo is already a few mm wider and longer than a TP2, and I don't think a keyboard would add to that. The keyboard would add thickness, obviously, but advances in technology and careful planning with a focus on making it thin could make the device considerably thinner than a Touch Pro 2.

Why does a keyboard add so much thickness anyway? All it is basically is a circuit board under the keys. So the thickness of the keys + the thickness of the circuit board should be no more than 4 or 5 mm tops. And I could certainly take an Evo that was 4-5mm thicker but had a keyboard.
In all honestly, if they did announce a version with a keyboard a few months after the Evo was released, I would consider getting it depending on how i liked the Evo and if it had better specs, even if they were minor.

I just want the next best thing out when it comes down to it and thats why I really hope this thing will be around $450 with no contract so i can buy one off of ebay and hold my upgrade for the 4.5 inch 1.5ghz WP7 phone (HD3).

http://www.redmondpie.com/htc-hd3-co...mages-9140525/
Old 04-12-2010, 03:48 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akayareal View Post
In all honestly, if they did announce a version with a keyboard a few months after the Evo was released, I would consider getting it depending on how i liked the Evo and if it had better specs, even if they were minor.

I just want the next best thing out when it comes down to it and thats why I really hope this thing will be around $450 with no contract so i can buy one off of ebay and hold my upgrade for the 4.5 inch 1.5ghz WP7 phone (HD3).

http://www.redmondpie.com/htc-hd3-co...mages-9140525/
So we are on the same page for sure then. I am buying it full retail when it is released, nd if there is a keyboard device announced with similar specs, I will upgrade to it.

I fully expect it to be around $450 full retail too. maybe $500 tops, but certainly no more than that. The HD2 is $450 full retail from T-Mobile, so the Evo can't be too much more.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Alright, since I did ask nicely and gave you both fair warning (SaltyDawg and p-slim), I have removed all of the off topic posts in this thread. Please keep it on topic from here on out.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
So we are on the same page for sure then. I am buying it full retail when it is released, nd if there is a keyboard device announced with similar specs, I will upgrade to it.

I fully expect it to be around $450 full retail too. maybe $500 tops, but certainly no more than that. The HD2 is $450 full retail from T-Mobile, so the Evo can't be too much more.
We definitely are on the same page. I used to feel like I dont want a fully touch screen phone (mainly cause I was always having problems with iphone keyboards when they 1st came out and i was playing with everyone i came across). I can honestly say when I had my 1st TP and the keyboard went, I think i went about 2 weeks before i took it to the Sprint store for a replacement (mainly cause i dropped it and got my accelerometer going wacky) and it wasnt bad using the on screen. I can now say after getting the TP2 and using its GREAT keyboard, I honestly use the onscreen more just because i dont feel like flipping the phone n sliding the keyboard and its also a very good onscreen keyboard.

I feel any of use that are Sprint users or future Sprint users should be rejoicing at the fact that Sprint now has a true player in the game to stand with the best of them and seems like they're not stopping there. They even made sure that Nextel wasnt left out in the cold and got the O1.

I would love to have the problem of deciding which 4g super phone I want on Sprint because they have a good 2 or 3 of them.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:53 PM
VIP Member

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
We definitely are on the same page. I used to feel like I dont want a fully touch screen phone (mainly cause I was always having problems with iphone keyboards when they 1st came out and i was playing with everyone i came across). I can honestly say when I had my 1st TP and the keyboard went, I think i went about 2 weeks before i took it to the Sprint store for a replacement (mainly cause i dropped it and got my accelerometer going wacky) and it wasnt bad using the on screen. I can now say after getting the TP2 and using its GREAT keyboard, I honestly use the onscreen more just because i dont feel like flipping the phone n sliding the keyboard and its also a very good onscreen keyboard.

I feel any of use that are Sprint users or future Sprint users should be rejoicing at the fact that Sprint now has a true player in the game to stand with the best of them and seems like they're not stopping there. They even made sure that Nextel wasnt left out in the cold and got the O1.

I would love to have the problem of deciding which 4g super phone I want on Sprint because they have a good 2 or 3 of them.
Well hopefully we'll have that problem soon, lol. I saw somehting that said Sprint is planning on releasing 2 more 4G phones this year, after the Evo. Supposedly they all have front cameras and 4.3 inch screens too. So out of 3 of them, odds are that at least 1 will have a keyboard. I just hope it's running Android and not Win Phone 7.

I'm not married to Sprint either though. If T-Mobile gets something I like more than Sprint's superphone, I'll go to T-Mobile in a heartbeat.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Well hopefully we'll have that problem soon, lol. I saw somehting that said Sprint is planning on releasing 2 more 4G phones this year, after the Evo. Supposedly they all have front cameras and 4.3 inch screens too. So out of 3 of them, odds are that at least 1 will have a keyboard. I just hope it's running Android and not Win Phone 7.

I'm not married to Sprint either though. If T-Mobile gets something I like more than Sprint's superphone, I'll go to T-Mobile in a heartbeat.
Well right now, with the limitations of wp7, and these rumors being true about all having a front facing cam, I would rule out it being wp7. Thats not to say that it cant happen but right now I would put bets on them being android.

And if it is true, then i would also think atleast one of them has a keyboard.

Funny thing is that it is reported that the next iphone may have a front facing cam on it, who knows.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Well i dont care about length. In all reality, the only thing im nervous about with this phone is the battery power. It being a CDMA phone alone puts the battery power at a disadvantage. Thats not factoring in the screen size or how it does when connected to 4g.
I agree but the battery on this bad boy is bigger then then the hd2's so i think you're good. pocketnow compares the hd2 to the evo and said you should get better battery life due to it being a 270mAh capacity difference.

http://pocketnow.com/hardware-1/deta...personic-specs
Google is the next skynet
Old 04-13-2010, 12:41 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
I agree but the battery on this bad boy is bigger then then the hd2's so i think you're good. pocketnow compares the hd2 to the evo and said you should get better battery life due to it being a 270mAh capacity difference.

http://pocketnow.com/hardware-1/deta...personic-specs
They were also corrected by someone in the comments who correctly pointed out that CDMA devices use more power than GSM devices. He posted the numbers directly from HTC's site, comparing battery size and talk time of CDMA devices and identical GSM devices. He then compared the HTC Max 4G to the Touch HD, which is identical except doesn't have the WiMax radio, and the Max 4G sucked down more power.

I would guess the HD2 will have better battery life than the Evo. We won't know fire sure until it's released, but GSM devices always get better battery life than CDMA. And WiMax is another battery hog on top of it.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:47 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HP6945~Mogul~TP~TP2~EVO
Carrier: Sprint - RIP Sero Plan \ Current: BP F&F

demolasko is keeping up the good workdemolasko is keeping up the good workdemolasko is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post
While the EVO is certainly a gorgeous device (and my inner nerd wants it NOW!), who here is going to hold off a bit and wait for version 2 with a hardware keyboard similar to the Touch Pro 2, a tilting screen, a 1.5 Ghz Snapdragon processor, and possibly other desirable upgrades?

ill just have to get em both, unless something else really nifty comes out?!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G