PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 11:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4g/Sprint
Carrier: Sprint

MarcusInMD is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint to charge extra for WiFi hotspot usage.

This is a major bummer for me.

http://androidforums.com/517070-post1565.html

I was really excited when I heard this feature would be available out of the box since you had to root an android phone to use a feature like this. I use this feature extensively on my WM phone and was the only reason I would not consider switching over to this phone. I hope the extra charge is not insane.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:12 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc
Re: Sprint to charge extra for WiFi hotspot usage.

Where are these "facts" this poster is referring to? I don't mean to be a Doubting Thomas but unless I see proof on Sprint's or HTC's site I won't believe many of the things the poster is reporting. Also if Sprint is going to charge extra for WiFi hotspot usage I would argue the fact that Verizon is offering its customers with Palm Pre Plus 5 GB free of usage on their WiFi hotspot. Proof of that can be found on the Palm Blog.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

rigo is keeping up the good workrigo is keeping up the good work

its cool with me.. i only want the phone.. lol
Old 04-04-2010, 02:24 PM
aquakevem

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I don't know about Sprint charging for a "phone as a modem" service. They use to charge extra for this service a few years back. But givin' that 4G will come with no extra charges. And they sure wouldn't mind charging you extra for going over their 5GB EVDO cap. I don't see how or why Sprint would charge extra to tether.

But maybe they will... we don't always get what we want.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:42 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Well the user on that forum looks like they only joined it March 2010..but either way if they charge for it we will just use the other wifi tethering app instead of sprints or modify sprints.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 04-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G/TP2

aaron580 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to aaron580

We had better be able to mod the app because thats a major fear of mine. I dont wanna be charged. Ive got a good thing going here because I use more than 5 gig and I dont get charged any extra.

OMJ rom
Godmode kernel tearing fixed
Old 04-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Even if they were to charge, all you would have to do would be to root your phone and use the one already available, no biggie. More then likely this phone is being bought for personal use and not company property so rooting is not a big deal.
Google is the next skynet
Old 04-05-2010, 01:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: sprint

snowplow54 is keeping up the good worksnowplow54 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to snowplow54

Weird, it was always my understanding that Sprint dropped the phone as modem plans to improve their customer service. If people wanted to use it, they would be OK, but wouldn't support it at the same time. Maybe they decided to bring it back, but i hope the extra charge isn't required to use the phone.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:25 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff

Before we found out 4G was included at no additional charge with the Everything plans, I said I would pay up to $10 more a month for 4G. I'll just apply that $10 to the tethering app. I'd rather pay nothing, but if the tethering works out well, I'll drop Comcast, and use Sprint for my home internet needs (that would save me over $100/mo). I just hope I can connect my PS3 up to the evo.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo No 4g

akayareal is keeping up the good workakayareal is keeping up the good work

Sorry to say but a forum post with no official link to these facts on another forum that i am not that ive never been to is far from fact to me. Maybe this person has inside knowledge but even that can be wrong.

It would have been better to see the entire thread so I can see the questions they throw at him and how he responds.

This falls under the rumor category until hard proof from Sprint backs this up.

Evo on 3g

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G