PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Sprint to charge extra for WiFi hotspot usage. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=116947)

MarcusInMD 04-04-2010 11:53 AM

Sprint to charge extra for WiFi hotspot usage.

This is a major bummer for me.

http://androidforums.com/517070-post1565.html

I was really excited when I heard this feature would be available out of the box since you had to root an android phone to use a feature like this. I use this feature extensively on my WM phone and was the only reason I would not consider switching over to this phone. I hope the extra charge is not insane.

sanmanc 04-04-2010 01:12 PM

Re: Sprint to charge extra for WiFi hotspot usage.

Where are these "facts" this poster is referring to? I don't mean to be a Doubting Thomas but unless I see proof on Sprint's or HTC's site I won't believe many of the things the poster is reporting. Also if Sprint is going to charge extra for WiFi hotspot usage I would argue the fact that Verizon is offering its customers with Palm Pre Plus 5 GB free of usage on their WiFi hotspot. Proof of that can be found on the Palm Blog.

rigo 04-04-2010 01:48 PM

its cool with me.. i only want the phone.. lol

aquakevem 04-04-2010 02:24 PM

I don't know about Sprint charging for a "phone as a modem" service. They use to charge extra for this service a few years back. But givin' that 4G will come with no extra charges. And they sure wouldn't mind charging you extra for going over their 5GB EVDO cap. I don't see how or why Sprint would charge extra to tether.

But maybe they will... we don't always get what we want.

gTen 04-04-2010 02:42 PM

Well the user on that forum looks like they only joined it March 2010..but either way if they charge for it we will just use the other wifi tethering app instead of sprints or modify sprints.

aaron580 04-04-2010 03:11 PM

We had better be able to mod the app because thats a major fear of mine. I dont wanna be charged. Ive got a good thing going here because I use more than 5 gig and I dont get charged any extra.

p-slim 04-04-2010 11:46 PM

Even if they were to charge, all you would have to do would be to root your phone and use the one already available, no biggie. More then likely this phone is being bought for personal use and not company property so rooting is not a big deal.

snowplow54 04-05-2010 01:35 AM

Weird, it was always my understanding that Sprint dropped the phone as modem plans to improve their customer service. If people wanted to use it, they would be OK, but wouldn't support it at the same time. Maybe they decided to bring it back, but i hope the extra charge isn't required to use the phone.

tokuzumi 04-05-2010 09:25 AM

Before we found out 4G was included at no additional charge with the Everything plans, I said I would pay up to $10 more a month for 4G. I'll just apply that $10 to the tethering app. I'd rather pay nothing, but if the tethering works out well, I'll drop Comcast, and use Sprint for my home internet needs (that would save me over $100/mo). I just hope I can connect my PS3 up to the evo.

akayareal 04-05-2010 10:06 AM

Sorry to say but a forum post with no official link to these facts on another forum that i am not that ive never been to is far from fact to me. Maybe this person has inside knowledge but even that can be wrong.

It would have been better to see the entire thread so I can see the questions they throw at him and how he responds.

This falls under the rumor category until hard proof from Sprint backs this up.