PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G LTE

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 04:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

Amamba is keeping up the good workAmamba is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Would you pick Evo over Samsung Galaxy S3 and why ?

Well, I stopped by at Sprint store and played with both devices again.

Samsung seems just a tad more responsive, but the difference is so small it may be just my imagination.

Samsung actually had better signal than Evo - -78db vs -74db. Again, the difference is pretty marginal.

Evo's screen was noticeably - not a whole lot, but visibly - brighter (both set at max brightness). And it seemed just a tad "crispier" but not by much. I had them side by side running the same webpage (Google Play).

I checked the battery and Evo was at 6 hrs xx min standby at 85%, Samsung at 6 hrs xx min 89%. Again, don't know how significant it is.

Samsung had a deep, long, wavy scratch on screen. How do you ever scratch Gorilla glass ? Somebody must've been busy with their keys .

I did check the multitasking by opening a SMS, typing a few letters, switching to Contacts, starting a new contact with a few letters, then switching back. Samsung switched back without a problem. Evo re-loaded all from scratch when I used home or back buttons, but kept the text I typed when I used "recent" button. I wish I could see if I could play some music in the background on Evo while typing, but they had no music loaded on either phone. (Can you do it on your Evo ?)

Basically, I think I have my mind set on Evo. I can measurebate both phones for another month, of course, but at this point it seems that they are very close, and I am leaning towards Evo simply because I had nothing but great experience with Touch Pro 2, while I have no experience with Samsung.

ADDED: Just ordered 4G LTE at AmazonWireless.com for $99, no tax, no shipping fee. Can't beat it !

Last edited by Amamba; 08-31-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:37 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

the latest update for ELTE is much better with multitasking, smoother, and overall a huge improvement! You wont be disappointed.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Not disappointed at all so far, although I probably haven't hit the problems yet Battery life is better than what I expected, screen is gorgeous, and Android is waaaaaaays more developed than Windows Mobile.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G LTE

Da Uniq 1 is keeping up the good workDa Uniq 1 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Da Uniq 1 Send a message via MSN to Da Uniq 1 Send a message via Yahoo to Da Uniq 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amamba View Post
I can measurebate both phones
LMAO!!!

Glad you're enjoying the phone. I was simply gonna add that multitasking will probably be your only gripe. But with custom Roms and/or the latest update, you will be impressed.

Also, at least thru bluetooth, I can listen to music while I use another function. I haven't tried wired because I rarely use wired headset and I don' tlisten to music thru my phone as much as I used to.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:44 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootlinux View Post
The Instinct for sure is a very dumb phone but it was my first touch screen device and it sucked big time.
Older Samsung ( non smart ) phones were built solid.
The instinct was junk that was made on behalf of sprint to quickly get a capacitive touchscreen out to compete against the iphone. It was literally junk and again wasn't even a smartphone.

Quote:
Samsung had a deep, long, wavy scratch on screen. How do you ever scratch Gorilla glass ? Somebody must've been busy with their keys .
Cause its glass? Gorilla glass is much more durable, but no matter how hard glass is glass. If you took earth science you remember the part where you take a hard rock and you break it easily by applying pressure at a certain angle? same thing, if it is hit at a certain angle it can scratch or shatter. Other ways is sand, sand is know for causing damage to glass.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 09-10-2012, 06:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I know how glass can be scratched. However Gorilla is not easily damaged - to get a scratch that deep, thick, long and wavy on a display phone that's secured to the stand with a 2 ft cable would take some work.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:03 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
I know how glass can be scratched. However Gorilla is not easily damaged - to get a scratch that deep, thick, long and wavy on a display phone that's secured to the stand with a 2 ft cable would take some work.
Well its actually Gorilla Glass 2 on the GS3 which is more durable then regular Gorilla Glass. But there are multiple points of resistance. Most of the Gorilla Glass strength comes from its ability to be bended. It is also scratch resistant, unless you scratch from the right angle.

Also as I mentioned I heard stories where people had some sand and it made a big scratch on the screen.

Once we have the new thing film screens on devices then it will be almost indestructible lol
Old 09-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO LTE

AB33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAB33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAB33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAB33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Interesting question, I had the the Evo LTE for a couple of months before I decided to leave Sprint for T Mobile and then I bought the GS3. To me the phones are equal because you can make a list of pros and cons for each device that will pretty much make them a tie. I will say that the nonremovable battery thing and the Sense lock ups became an issue for me with the Evo LTE, but the Evo LTE has a slightly better camera, much better keyboard, and better build quality. There are some software things I miss on the Evo LTE but then there are software things I love on the GS3 that the EvoLTE doesn't have.

Edit: The Evo LTE screen is better than the GS3 but the multitasking is much better on the GS3.

Sent from my GS3 via TapaTalk 2

Last edited by AB33; 09-20-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Well, after two weeks with Evo I am 80% thrilled - 20% pissed.

The bad - radio is weaker than my TP2 was so where I used to get poor data or Wi-Fi in the past, I am getting none now. Battery can't be charged with GPS on, the best I can hope for is maintaining charge or losing small enough amount it can last me a whole day. It doesn't play nicely with Airave, eventually I need to find an hour and call CS. Multitasking is spotty although I expected worse. Not sure which of these issues other than multitasking could be solved by going with SGS 3.

The good - it's fast and responsive. Sense 4 is actually useful and so far stable. Battery life is good, on par with TP2, hope it doesn't degrade quickly. Screen is absolutely gorgeous, bright and crisp even on auto - this was one of the reasons I liked Evo over Samsung (S3 seemed a bit dim even on max brightness).
Old 11-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: Sprint PCS

jamio88 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjamio88 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjamio88 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjamio88 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to jamio88 Send a message via Yahoo to jamio88

I recently had the same decision to make. Was trying to decide between the LTE, SIII, & Note II.

In the end though I opted for the Evo LTE. Specs were very close on the Evo & SIII, so as far as those two I honestly don't expect to see any really noticeable (if any at all) differences when using day-to-day.

In the end I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference and for me anyway, I have always just had more faith in HTC.....plus in my opinion, Sense > TouchWiz.
Kernel: #Mean-v0.5.1728

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G LTE