PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > HTC Evo 4G Accessories
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 02:04 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Screen protector in a bottle

Don't like the gummy feeling of the Zagg screen protector?
Paranoid about putting the puppy in you pocket with your keys, pocket knife and hash pipe?
Don't like spending a fortune of little pieces of plastic, squinting your eyes for hours only to see bubbles and three grains of dust that look like mountains under the sheet?

Well, I just found the answer.

Put on your Snuggie and sit yourself down. This is what's happening.

The other days, I was pulling the cover off the Harley. The wind caught it and it flew up and caught my glasses and sent them skidding down the driveway, lens first. Went I put them on, they were pretty scratched up. In the light, it was kind of a kaleidoscope. As a programmer, I need eyes.
So this morning I went to Rite-Aide and asked if they had that kit that I saw advertized on TV to fix scratches in glasses. They did and I paid $10 and went home. I coated my glasses and it really works. If fact, it won't be until tomorrow before it is totally cured.
But that not all!!
I started thinking about other uses. I had some scratches on the corner of my windscreen from hitting bushes. I coated the corner and voila!! Gone.
Then I had the ultimate epiphany. I thought that this might make a good screen protector.

I coated half of a small mirror. I dried it with a hair-dryer and studied the surface. I put on my magna-hood and looked at the surface and there was a coating of 2 to 3 mills thick. I used my exacto-knief and scraped on the surface. There are resistance. If worked under the edge was able to lift a coating of clear plastic. I scraped on the mirror with keys and under casual pressure, it did not penetrate. I was able to press pretty have before I was breaking through. I would not try that on my Zagg.

So I got my daughters TP2 and coated it. Placed it under a bowel to dry (dust is an issue on either side until dry) and when I removed it, I realized that I had discovered something worth sharing.

Warning, the LENS cpr is initially liquid. That means, you MUST place a piece of Scotch tape on the top of your phone. I aligned mine with the top of the Sprint and HTC logos to cover the speaker and sensor. Then I coated my phone. I applied two coats about two hours apart. That is double what I placed on the mirror. I feel more confident that I ever did with the Zagg. And it does not feel like I and stroking my phone through a rubber. This is the real deal!

Do be careful. You can create a puddle if you don’t pay attention. Just use light coats. They warn you to NOT use the cleaner for regular use. It will remove the film. It smells like Windex. But they give you a tiny ShamWow to clean with!!!

If this is useful, press the Thanks button.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:18 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Pics or it didn't happen. lol
Old 09-23-2010, 03:23 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff
Re: Screen protector in a bottle

What do I take a picture of? It is a clear screen protector!! I an do a screen capture, if that means anything.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:35 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: S3/GN2/AXIOM/TP2/Hero/Moment/EVO
Carrier: *--USCC--*

apristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to apristel Send a message via Skype™ to apristel

I think seeing the actual phone would be more beneficial than a screenie.... You know we like to see how smooth it looks on the phones screen surface, if there is any rainbow effect...etc..
Old 09-23-2010, 03:35 AM
rdwing

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I think this would work great on the TP2 (which is resistive), but terribly on the EVO (capacitive). These new capacitive screens rely on an electrical feedback from your skin touching the screen. Hence why most stylii refuse to work.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:43 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Here is a picture of this kit. Since have taken it with the phone that I applied it on, it is pretty hard to take a picture of that phone.

But what bites my ass it some **** comes along and wants proof!!! I went through a lot of time to write up my experience in vivid detail and I have to prove to provide photo proof? I don't care if anyone else does it. It was only a recommend. Think I get something from "Rite Aide?"

I tripped over something I thought might be useful to someone else. Guess with all your posts, you are just to superior accept that!!
Old 09-23-2010, 03:47 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

I found no loss of sensitivity. If anything, i think the feel is much more real than with the Zagg! I guess I can take a pic of the phone with my daughter's phone or the PC.

Why would someone doubt ... forget it.

Last edited by lkillen; 09-24-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:53 AM
VIP Member

apristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the community

Why is someone a **** because they want to see it? I don't follow?

Cool story though..

thanks for sharing. glad that you found something that works.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:18 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

You miss the point. There is nothing to show! If you could see it, that would be the issue. I have taken some picture with the other phone but I feel silly showing then. Even up close (w/o flash) all you see is my phone. With the phone on, it is just glare.

For the few bucks, give it a try. I don't know about longevity. The company claims several weeks.

I just felt like I was being challenged when I was very clear that I was also an "experiemnter".
Old 09-23-2010, 04:21 AM
VIP Member

So you cannot even tell it is on there? There has to be some thickness to it. Were you able to get it evenly distributed on the screen? No waves? No wrinkles?

A picture would show or not show that. Just saying.

/thread

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > HTC Evo 4G Accessories

Tags
screen protector, tips, tricks