PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > HTC Evo 4G Accessories
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 05:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

marklyn is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
USB/AC cradle that charges phone when computer is off?

OK, I bought one on ebay for $20 and asked before the sale if the cradle would charge my phone _without_ having to be connected to a computer. The answer was yes. I received the cradle (from Hong Kong) and it will only charge phone when connected to USB! The AC adapter must only charge the battery compartment.
I want a cradle that I can hook up to my computer by USB and be plugged into an AC outlet so when I need to sync, I can sync, and when the computer off the phone will still charge from the AC adapter.
If anyone knows about one that does this, please reply with a link or model of one.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

djfujiyama is just getting started
Re: USB/AC cradle that charges phone when computer is off?

Have you tried to plug the USB cable into an AC adapter?
Old 07-16-2010, 10:06 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfujiyama View Post
+1, should work.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Rooted Stock ROM

sanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

The logic circuit must be present for the cradle to know to switch from USB when no charge is trickling (that may be the big issue here, there may not be enough charge trickling from the USB even when connected, I had this issue when I had a cradle for my TP2 that plugged into the USB AND the wall). You may be experiencing the effects of a crappy cradle. Just because they "told" you that it would work a certain way doesn't mean that it does. You bought it from an OEM that has no obligation to be truthful about their products.

I'm waiting until something "official" comes out and getting that. At least then if things don't work as advertised, i can take it back face-to-face.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Threadstarter

marklyn is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfujiyama View Post
That would defeat the purpose of what I'm after. I want a cradle that I can use the USB to sync with and the AC adapter to continue to charge my phone once I turn my computer off.
The ebay vendor stated this would work, when of course it didn't, so I'm getting a refund but the hassle is what I'm trying to avoid.

I think I have found one from a company that specifically states (on the write up) "Comes with an AC power adapter to charge your phone and/or battery if you don't have a computer/laptop USB connection available"

If anyone is interested in this, here is the link:
http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=44134
Old 07-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Rooted Stock ROM

sanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

There was this cable that was introduced about 3 months ago, that when you flipped a switch on the cable would either sync and charge or just charge any connected device via USB. I am not sure what it was called, but I remember seeing it.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > HTC Evo 4G Accessories

Tags
charger, charging, cradle