PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 3D

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 02:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

xxxjdoggxxx is a n00b
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Project Idea Involving Evo 3D

I recently purchased a chevy pickup and am thinking about doing a carputer type setup. Below is a picture of what my dash looks like for reference (not my truck but same dash). As you can see there is an empty pocket above where the heater/AC controls are. That is where the factory stereo is currently located in my truck. Where the aftermarket stereo is in the picture there is a equalizer/tape deck in my truck. As you can see the aftermarket install kit is setup to install the aftermarket stereo in the center of the dash. That presents a couple problems for me. First of all it is a long reach from the driver's seat to the stereo. Secondly my truck is a stick and the shifter would be in the way.

Here is where the Evo 3D comes in. That open pocket would be the perfect location to mount my Evo. The question is how. The way I see it there are 3 possibly 4 options.

1: Simply buy a commercially sold mount and put it in that pocket and leave it at that.

2: Custom fabricate an enclosure/mount to make it look like the Evo is part of the truck (would have to design it for easy install and removal of the Evo).

3: A combination of 1 and 2. Use a commercially available mount and adapt it to some sort of custom enclosure.

4: Install the Evo 3D in a hidden location (like a carputer) and use a lcd touch screen to control it (if this is even possible). A few issues would have to be addressed such as if the Evo 3D has USB host capabilities (if anyone knows anything about this please let me know, have been toying with this idea since I had a Touch Pro 2 but could never find the needed USB drivers).

Now that I have covered the hardware issues I need some ideas for some good apps to use. Basically I want to set the volume on the head unit and leave it so I don't have to mess with it while driving. I would like to control the volume with my Evo. The functions I would need are GPS, Shoutcast radio, and hands free calling to name a few. If anyone knows of any good apps that would give me access to those things in a way that is safe for driving (at least as safe as any other carputer setup) please let me know. Any other ideas anyone has would be appreciated.

Dash Picture For Reference:

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 3D