PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo 3D (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=320)
-   -   EVO3D Tips & Tricks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=144955)

Laos101 06-24-2011 06:09 PM

EVO3D Tips & Tricks

I'll periodically this thread with all kinds of cool tips and tricks I see available for the device. Feel free to make suggestions of your own and we'll add them!

1. Uninstall your Bloatware!

So, someone in the #htc-evo chat said that you could uninstall apps on the stock 3D... i looked into it, and went straight for the blockbuster app. Sure enough

menu -> settings -> applications -> manage applications -> blockbuster -> uninstall

reboot and BAM! It is gone! They also mentioned something about shared space... about /system being readable only, so it still resides there but is no longer installed? But, it is gone and I am looking forward to eliminating others. Now we need a safe list of things to get rid of!

Other bloatware includes Sprint TV, NASCAR, Sprint Radio, and others! Tell us!

Thanks GhettoBSD!

2. Test That 3D!

Here is a Youtube video that really shows off the 3D affect better than what comes on the device for demos... I love this one...

Youtube Player in 3D

GoPro 3D

Post some links if you find some cools ones!

Thanks scrosler & CarlaDarla!

3. Boost Your Battery!

Like all 4G phones - and most especially with the now 3D one - these things suck battery like water, be sure to follow some of these tips below to get the most out of your EVO3D - both in performance and usability.
  • ROOT! Once available, you can ROOT to use awesome abilities and features - such as CPU and Kernel control
  • BRIGHTNESS & 3D! turn off automatic brightness and manually set it low - or turn off 3D to help loosen that strain on the batter (at the cost of your eyes!)
  • RECONDITION - some people see improved performance after completely draining the batery and letting it recharge. Also (once rooted) you can remove your battery stats and try to trick the phone into better performance
  • Task Killers! Use Advanced Task Killer or another app to get that processor under control! (and improve overall performance)

Thanks GhettoBSD!

5. Start all over with a Hard Reset!

How to hard reset:

• 1. Turn the phone's power off. Take the battery out from the device, wait a couple of seconds and reinsert it back again.
  • 2. Gently, Press and Hold the Volume Down button
  • 3. Then also press and hold the Power button until the device turns on
  • 4. A menu will then appear like: Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
  • 5. Just select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
  • 6. Then press and release the Power button
  • 7. Select Volume Up if YES and Volume Down for NO

6. Free Wifi-Tether w/ Temp Root!

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-evo-3d...fi-tether.html

Thanks Scrosler!

GhettoBSD 06-25-2011 12:27 AM

Re: EVO3D Tips & Tricks

how about 3. Properly manage your battery! I know its tempting to turn it on and go! BUT, let the phone charge completely over night. In the morning, once the green 'fully charged' led is on, unplug the charger until the light turns off. Once off, plug the charger in and let it charge up again. Use the device until the battery is exhausted (the phone will shut itself down). Now charge and do the same.

I'm getting great battery life in the first two days doing this and historically, battery life should be pretty bad.

ls3mach 06-25-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhettoBSD (Post 2119784)
how about 3. Properly manage your battery! I know its tempting to turn it on and go! BUT, let the phone charge completely over night. In the morning, once the green 'fully charged' led is on, unplug the charger until the light turns off. Once off, plug the charger in and let it charge up again. Use the device until the battery is exhausted (the phone will shut itself down). Now charge and do the same.

I'm getting great battery life in the first two days doing this and historically, battery life should be pretty bad.

I wish people would stop giving out this type of information. These are LiPo batteries. The prefer a top off regularly over a complete drain.

stangdriver52000 06-25-2011 08:30 AM

Yeah, actually if you figure the average life of a phone battery is maybe 18 months, you shave about two weeks off of its overall life every time you drain it... best to plug in and top off whenever possible.

Laos101 06-25-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls3mach (Post 2119883)
I wish people would stop giving out this type of information. These are LiPo batteries. The prefer a top off regularly over a complete drain.

It's a debatable - some people see improved performance after they recondition the batter. For example, my battery would go from 100 to 50 in an hour, but take another couple hours to get to 0 - Why? I have not a clue, but after reconditioning the performance was somewhat better.

You can also wipe battery stats (once rooted) Adding it alongside some other typical tips.

P.S. - send me Screenshots of the various settings i mention and i'll post them!

gator352 06-25-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

These are li-ion batts...not LiPo. They prefer an almost (not totally) drain and then a full recharge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium...olymer_battery

Li-Po's are derived from Li-ions and use almost the same technology but are NOT the same.

Laos101 06-25-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gator352 (Post 2119996)
These are li-ion batts...not LiPo. They prefer an almost (not totally) drain and then a full recharge.

Lithium-ion polymer battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Li-Po's are derived from Li-ions and use almost the same technology but are NOT the same.

biggest difference between LiPo and Li+ Batteries is you cant leave LiPo batteries in the charger or to overcharge - can cause serious damage to device or explosions.

iagodfather 06-25-2011 01:34 PM

Not to disrupt the proverbial battery debate, but another 3d video sampling that looks good is the 3d maestro on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMTvaNomlWY
and The Prodigy's Girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MXePU_pcL4

There are some other music vids from Black Eyed Peas and Lady Gaga, but they don't have the same pop without being hd as well as 3d

scrosler 06-25-2011 06:02 PM

Add this:

How to hard reset:

• 1. Turn the phone's power off. Take the battery out from the device, wait a couple of seconds and reinsert it back again.
  • 4. A menu will then appear like: Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock

robysch22 06-25-2011 07:23 PM

.... ok so what now.... draining it or not? :scratch::scratch::scratch:

[sammich] 06-25-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

These are actually Lithium Ion batteries :mrgreen:

OMJ 06-26-2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrosler (Post 2120130)
Add this:

How to hard reset:

fyi for #4 (for those that dont know)....this is the bootloader screen, those that will root should get familiar.

RidleyJ329 06-26-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMJ (Post 2120462)
fyi for #4 (for those that dont know)....this is the bootloader screen, those that (might eventually figure out how to) root should get familiar.

sounds a little more like it to me. but im still anxiously waiting either way. lol

ls3mach 06-26-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [sammich] (Post 2120209)
These are actually Lithium Ion batteries :mrgreen:

Yeah I realized that. I meant to say LiOn. Oops. Still sticking to my frequent top offs though.

luckyzac 06-26-2011 02:52 PM

Why do people still tell people to get task killers :(

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

RidleyJ329 06-26-2011 03:16 PM

i use atk.... havnt seen any dramatic diff in my evo or my evo 3d but at the same time i dont see that it hurts anything.

jayhuffdaddy 06-26-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckyzac (Post 2120610)

This phone actually has a sort of built in task killer. If you drop your notification window down, click quick settings and then total memory, you can refresh then kill all.

ls3mach 06-27-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckyzac (Post 2120610)

I wonder this too. If the phone OS is doing it's job correctly, it shuts down these things automatically.

GhettoBSD 06-27-2011 05:52 PM

Well, I am no expert so of course I can be wrong... but "topping off" has NOT worked at all for the 2 evo 4g's we have. Now, letting it drain out under usage has resulted in extended usage (more than a day). So far, the 3D is doing just as well (even if it's only been used for less than a week at this point). In the end, only one way to find out! Cheers

head honch 06-27-2011 11:54 PM

Just figured out you can send a text by pressing the camera button

jayhuffdaddy 06-28-2011 11:57 AM

Anyone know how to view pdf's within the stock browser?

Ruh 06-29-2011 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by head honch (Post 2121407)
Just figured out you can send a text by pressing the camera button

You mind elaborating on how this works? I just tried a couple times and was unable to do this.

mochawhitey 06-29-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruh (Post 2121921)
You mind elaborating on how this works? I just tried a couple times and was unable to do this.

Lol yeah I tried it too couldn't get it to work

sanmanc 06-29-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruh (Post 2121921)

When I press my camera button from a text message the camera app opens up.

Ruh 06-29-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanmanc (Post 2122384)

ditto

eballin 06-30-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruh (Post 2122399)
ditto

Same thing is happening for me

busventinc 07-02-2011 06:00 AM

Fyi on the bloatware uninstall in actuality it is not uninstalled at all it is still on your internal memory you might not see it in your apps but it is not fully uninstalled untill we get full root and s-off permissions then it can be fully uninstalled

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

lnando84 07-02-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanmanc (Post 2122384)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruh (Post 2122399)
ditto

Quote:

Originally Posted by eballin (Post 2122734)
Same thing is happening for me

Doesn't the camera app open up whenever you press the camera button, regardless of what screen you may be on or even app your running?? Mine does..

getmoneygreen 07-03-2011 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrosler (Post 2120130)
Add this:

How to hard reset:

What is the hard reset for ?

OMJ 07-03-2011 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getmoneygreen (Post 2123690)

What is the hard reset for ?

it resets the phone back to factory default (stock ROM)

toddpedersen 07-05-2011 12:59 PM

Fyi, you have to have Handcent installed as your Text Message Program for the Camera Button to work that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mochawhitey (Post 2122015)
Lol yeah I tried it too couldn't get it to work

lnando84 07-05-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toddpedersen (Post 2124279)
Fyi, you have to have Handcent installed as your Text Message Program for the Camera Button to work that way.

Not true, I don't have Handcent installed and my camera button works fine! try pressing and holding the button down for a second..my camera always opens regardless of what screen i'm on!!

Clipp 07-06-2011 12:17 AM

lnando84 is correct. Launching the camera app by tapping/holding the hardware camera key is by design. That's one of the main reasons people like having a dedicated camera key - not just for taking pics like a real camera, but also for quick access to it. Works in every screen, not just TXT.

toddpedersen 07-06-2011 06:42 AM

I think your missing the point here. This discussion has to do with someone that posted how when they press their camera button, they access they get a text message popup screen, similar to a shortcut.
I am not disagreeing with you about how your camera button starts your camera program. I was merely replying to those that were wondering how the OP got their texting to popup by pressing their camera button.

I am sorry that you didn't understand what I was referring to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnando84 (Post 2124482)
Not true, I don't have Handcent installed and my camera button works fine! try pressing and holding the button down for a second..my camera always opens regardless of what screen i'm on!!

OMJ 07-06-2011 02:26 PM

since head honcho has not chimed in, how about we all agree it does NOT work as he stated, lol

btw, I've added a link to Scroslers free wifi tether thread in the OP

lnando84 07-16-2011 11:45 PM

Here's a nice little write-up I found on Good and Evo that features "20 tips about HTC Sense 3.0 on EVO 3D". I know most of you already know of most of these but I figured there may be a few new ones in you didn't. I personally think #18 is neat..basically adds swype to default keyboard.

20 tips about HTC Sense 3.0 on EVO 3D
  1. Swap home screen icons without "making room" first. In previous versions of Sense, rearranging apps required an empty "holding" space; if a screen was already filled, there was no way to move anything around unless you deleted something else first. Now you can long press an app on the EVO 3D home screen and drag it to an already occupied space. The existing app will automatically trade places with the new one.
  2. View your most recent and most used apps in several ways.
    • Long press the Home button to launch the recent apps window.
    • Swipe down on the status bar to see recent apps listed at the top of the notification panel.
    • Tap Applications (grid icon) in the dock then tap the star icon at the bottom to access frequently used apps.
  3. Swipe recent apps bar in notification panel to see more apps. Only five apps are shown at once, but the top bar in the notification panel actually holds a total of eight apps. Swipe left to see the other three.
  4. Customize with Personalize. Long press an empty area of the home screen, press Menu > Personalize, or tap the palette icon in the dock to access Personalize, where you can add items to your home screen, change scenes/skins/wallpapers/lock screens, and manage sounds (sound sets, ringtones, notifications, and alarms) all in one place
  5. Rearrange home screens in thumbnail view. When viewing apps in overview/thumbnail mode (accessible by pinching a home screen or tapping the Home button when already on the main screen), you can long press any thumbnail and drag it to a different location.
  6. Swipe slowly between home screens to view 3D details on widgets. Eye candy enthusiasts will appreciate little details like the silver hinges on the flip clock widget and the visual depth on some of the other HTC widgets that are visible when "stuck between" home screens.
  7. Customize the lock screen. Third-party apps like WidgetLocker used to be the only way to add useful information to the EVO 4G's lock screen. Now widgets and app shortcuts on the lock screen are a basic element of Sense 3.0. To customize it, go to Personalize and select "Lock screen" from the "Personalize display" section at the top. Select your desired preset lock screen and tap "Settings" to change the app shortcuts.
  8. Change directions when 3D carousel is spinning, tap to stop it on a particular screen. The home screens are presented in a carousel, with no end points; it just goes round and round. You can flick a screen to send the carousel spinning, but you don't have to wait until it stops to continue interacting with it. You can change directions mid-spin and if your fingers are quick enough to tap the screen you want while the carousel is in motion, it will stop and put that screen into view.
  9. Check out new widgets and apps. Sense 3.0 includes 3D widgets not found in previous versions, as well as both new and improved apps. Mail and Camera, for example, both have new features (e.g., message previews in the former, easily accessible settings in the latter), while apps like HTC Watch, Transfer, HTC Likes, and Mirror are brand new to the EVO line.
  10. Give your EVO 3D a new look with HTC Skins. HTC Skins originated with Sense 2.0 and are what most people refer to as themes in Sense 1.0 and other user interfaces. They include skinned widgets, docks, and taskbars, as well as new lock screens and wallpapers. To apply one on the EVO 3D, go to Personalize and select "Skin" from the "Personalize display" section at the top. Then just select a skin and hit "Apply" to start using it.
  11. Sign up with HTCSense.com to manage and protect your EVO 3D from a computer. Debuting with Sense 2.0, this free service lets you locate your phone, remotely lock or wipe it, make it ring at full volume, and forward text messages to another phone or an email address. HTCSense.com is still in beta in the US and doesn't have the backup and web-based HTC Hub features offered in other regions, but it's still nice that an EVO is finally officially supported.
    Register for an account at HTCSense.com and then sign in on your EVO 3D by tapping Settings > Accounts & sync > Add account > HTC Sense.
  12. Don't bother trying to rotate the home screen to landscape. Even though home screen rotation has been supported since Sense 2.0 and it works on several other phones, the home screen and app drawer are both locked to portrait mode on the EVO 3D.
  13. Free up internal storage space with "Make more space" option. Go to Settings > SD & phone storage and tap "Make more space" under "Internal storage" to clean the app cache, batch uninstall and batch move apps to the SD card, and manage mail/messages storage.
  14. Toggle wireless radios on/off without home screen widgets. Forget about dedicated home screen widgets to turn WiFi, 4G, Bluetooth, GPS, etc. on and off. The new Quick Settings tab in the notification panel provides quick access to all the individual wireless radios. You'll find an "All Settings" shortcut and a used/free memory widget that's linked to the preloaded Task Manager there too.
  15. Get free widgets, wallpapers, ringtones, and more from HTC Hub. Also making its debut with Sense 2.0 last year, HTC Hub is where you can download free apps and plug-ins, widgets, sound sets, scenes, skins, wallpapers, ringtones, alarms sounds, and notification sounds. New item notifications can be enabled/disabled in the Hub's settings menu.
  16. Browse all applications in free-flowing list. HTC opted for page-style scrolling in the Sense 3.0 app drawer, displaying 20 apps at a time. If you don't like the choppy effect of scrolling in "chunks," tap the Menu key in the app drawer and select "List" from the menu. The list presentation may not be as aesthetically pleasing as the grid, but you'll get that familiar river-like scrolling back.
  17. Associate new dock icons with old functionality. The home screen dock in Sense 3.0 features two new icons on either side of the unnecessarily large Phone button, but their functionality is the same as what you're used to in Sense 1.0 on the EVO 4G. The grid icon on the left opens the app drawer (just like the circled arrow icon did) and the palette icon on the right launches Personalize (equivalent to the + icon launching "Add to Home").
  18. Enable HTC Trace in stock keyboard and don't try to use it everywhere. HTC Trace is a Swype-like feature that can be enabled in the stock HTC keyboard, allowing users to input text by dragging their finger across the keys in a continuous motion.
    To enable it, go to Settings > Language & keyboard > Touch Input > Trace keyboard. Tap the checkbox to turn it on. Make sure that prediction is enabled in Touch Input > Text input. If it isn't, Trace won't work. Put another way, Trace will only work in prediction-enabled text fields like email, messages, and notes. Search fields and URL bars do not support prediction, so you'll need to tap the individual keys in these areas.
  19. View photos not stored on your EVO 3D in HTC Gallery, swipe quickly for ribbon-like scrolling. In addition to supporting 3D content, the Gallery app also has a drop-down menu in the right corner that lets you quickly access photos (both yours and your friends') from Facebook, Flickr, Picasa Web Albums, and media servers.
    When viewing any of these photos in the Gallery, swipe an image quickly for fast ribbon-like scrolling. This works in either orientation, but the filmstrip effect that occurs is better in landscape.
  20. Don't expect to fit more shortcuts on the home screen. The EVO 3D's qHD resolution may be higher than the EVO 4G's WVGA resolution, but that doesn't mean you'll be able to fit more content on the home screen. Unless you use a widget or app like Multicon to squeeze more shortcuts into one space or change the LCD density once the phone is rooted, you can still only get a total of 16 individual icons (4 x 4 grid) on each screen

toddpedersen 08-18-2011 10:04 PM

The new update released today and officially on 8-23-2011 allows for short cut keys to take screen shots without any root.

Press the power button and then almost immediately, press the home key.

toddpedersen 08-23-2011 07:48 AM

I see a few others also replied as you did so I thought I would explain myself better.

My original reply was that that you had to have handcent installed to allow the ability to send text messages with the camera button. Without Handcent installed the camera button functions to open the camera no matter what screen your on. Within Handcent, there is a feature that allows the camera button to be used as the send button.

Sorry I was not more clear everyone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnando84 (Post 2124482)

schmeggy929 08-23-2011 10:11 AM

Have Handcent and inside a text message, Pressing the camera button brings up the camera. Your method doesnt seem to work. Still unclear as to pressing the camera button would do in a text message? another send button?

toddpedersen 08-23-2011 11:29 AM

Have you gone into your Handcent settings to turn on the feature that uses the camera button to send texts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by schmeggy929 (Post 2140056)
Have Handcent and inside a text message, Pressing the camera button brings up the camera. Your method doesnt seem to work. Still unclear as to pressing the camera button would do in a text message? another send button?