PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo 3D (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=320)
-   -   Is the Evo 3D going to be the TOP of the LINE phone for a while?? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=144732)

Karl 06-20-2011 05:45 PM

Re: Is the Evo 3D going to be the TOP of the LINE phone for a while??

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmana (Post 2117268)
True, and it may not have GSM or LTE, but Sprint isn't going to significantly cripple the current S2 when they turn it into the Within, so it's safe to say things like battery life, camera, and screen quality are all going to be much much better than the Evo.

as is always the case
that's debatable

gTen 06-20-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTECHKA (Post 2117174)
If you ask gTen... The epic has already beat it.
lol.

Its not like I go around everywhere saying Epic is better then everything >.>

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMJ (Post 2117183)
my advice....don't listen to gTen, lol

Yup, don't listen to gTen! lol

(now I have created an endless paradox since you said not to listen to me and I said not to listen to me so if they dont listen to me they will have to listen but yet they can't X infinity) ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmana (Post 2117217)
I'm thinking the Samsung S2 (Within) is going to beat the Evo 3D. If you take the 3d capability out of the picture, the S2 is thinner, has a longer lasting battery, has a better screen, should be a "world phone", has a better camera, etc... And it may even come with LTE capability, at least that's a rumor I heard. The only complaint I've heard about the phone is the inability to customize the ROM, but that should be worked out soon too. That being said I am still getting the 3D on Friday, but if it doesn't impress me it's going back and I'll wait for the Samsung to come out (late July supposedly)

There are already custom roms for SGS2 and it will have official CM7 support...

ppcgpirate 06-20-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2117332)
Its not like I go around everywhere saying Epic is better then everything >.>

Yup, don't listen to gTen! lol

(now I have created an endless paradox since you said not to listen to me and I said not to listen to me so if they dont listen to me they will have to listen but yet they can't X infinity) ;)

There are already custom roms for SGS2 and it will have official CM7 support...

I was really interested in getting the Epic 4G when it first came out but wasn't eligible for an upgrade then. it's still the best phone on sprint, well until this friday, at least. the galaxy s2 seems like a worthy successor except it lacks a keyboard.... sigh.
anyways, how is the epic holding up? was the GPS problem completely fixed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by loren646 (Post 2117171)
or is it going to get beat in a month or 2? looking at sprint here.

on sprint, the evo3D will be the top phone for about a month or two. then it'll have competition with either the samsung galaxy s2 or photon 4G. all the phones are about the same in processing power and negatives of their own. the samsung galaxy s2 is a bit snappier and has one of the best displays on the market even though its not qHD resolution. the photon 4G will most likely have a pentile matrix qHD screen (it might not be noticeable, http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index/...rix-4g-preview), and the evo3D, has an average camera. I don't think you can go wrong with either one of them.

gTen 06-20-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppcgpirate (Post 2117349)
I was really interested in getting the Epic 4G when it first came out but wasn't eligible for an upgrade then. it's still the best phone on sprint, well until this friday, at least. the galaxy s2 seems like a worthy successor except it lacks a keyboard.... sigh.
anyways, how is the epic holding up? was the GPS problem completely fixed?

It was fixed for the most part..There are people here and there who experience issues with it but that goes for all phones in general, from what people are saying lately the cause of the GPS issues had to do with Samsung initially choosing Skyhook over Google for GPS, at last minute Google pushed its weight forcing Samung to dump Skyhook contract and go with Google :/. As for the SGS 2 I doubt Ill be getting it as I need the keyboard too much :(...

saibot 06-20-2011 08:32 PM

Better answer is that specs don't mean everything. People claimed the Epic beat the Evo because of specs, but it didn't make it a better phone. Why? Because the Evo was quickly updated to 2.2, had a larger user base, thus more support, more customized ROMs, more accessories, and what seemed to be an overall better user experience.

If the Evo 3D takes off like the Evo 4G did, then you can expect a better experience because the market responds to the most popular phones first. There will be more activity in the custom ROM section, more accessories made for it, apps will support it more fully. However, if it does not grab the public like its predecessor, it may be better to wait for the next big thing along with the crowd.

Hope that HTC makes the next big thing, because personally I really enjoy Sense. Sense UI really makes my phone a pleasure to use. I've tried all the other UI's, even iOS, and I just end up missing Sense.

gTen 06-20-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saibot (Post 2117368)
Better answer is that specs don't mean everything. People claimed the Epic beat the Evo because of specs, but it didn't make it a better phone. Why? Because the Evo was quickly updated to 2.2, had a larger user base, thus more support, more customized ROMs, more accessories, and what seemed to be an overall better user experience.

If the Evo 3D takes off like the Evo 4G did, then you can expect a better experience because the market responds to the most popular phones first. There will be more activity in the custom ROM section, more accessories made for it, apps will support it more fully. However, if it does not grab the public like its predecessor, it may be better to wait for the next big thing along with the crowd.

Hope that HTC makes the next big thing, because personally I really enjoy Sense. Sense UI really makes my phone a pleasure to use. I've tried all the other UI's, even iOS, and I just end up missing Sense.

This time around things are a bit different..last year Evo was the first phone with 4G, most people wanted a thinner phone with no keyboard, sprint spent a lot of advertisement on the Evo 4g (actually all its advertisement), and Sprint really did not have much choices..2010 had only 2 top end phones and the other phone only came out 3 month later.

This time around we have more choice as there will be at least 3 dual core phones this summer..so while I expect Evo 3D sales to be pretty big due the Evo brand name.

The SGS 2 if Sprint releases it in July as rumored should be able to muster just as many sales. And considering its not a keyboard phone the accessories "should" theoretically work on all carrier models, including international (Which already has been out for a while). Lastly in terms of development I also expect a HUGE increase mostly after that PR thing where they gave devs free phones.

chong67 06-20-2011 10:37 PM

Some people will say iphone 5 will be the top phone. It will have face recognization and you can log in! No other phone can do this.

I do not like iphone or Apple products.

gTen 06-20-2011 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chong67 (Post 2117422)
Some people will say iphone 5 will be the top phone. It will have face recognization and you can log in! No other phone can do this.

I do not like iphone or Apple products.

umm..you can do face recognition unlocking via an iphone 4 if its jail broken...

Also SGS2 has face recognition unlocking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6873...layer_embedded

look at 0:37 - 0:40

princem131 06-20-2011 11:45 PM

When my 70 year old grandfather called me last week to tell me that "the new EVO with 3D videos and pics and two cameras was coming out June 24th" I knew they had a hit. The EVO 3D will do numbers!

It will always be argued that new phone "X" is "better" but as others have stated EVO phones will continue to get Sprint preferential treatment as they are Sprints bread and butter. HTC is the best manufacturer hands down imo and they have proved this by listening to their customers with the bootloader issue and by launching a developer site to improve developers ability to work with Sense. I'm sure the EVO 3D will easily get us thru to June of 2012 unless HTC trumps themselves with some even newer (less 3D focused) device. Nex-gen EVO Shift could get my $ (If they don't intentionally cripple it ).....

gTen 06-21-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princem131 (Post 2117453)
When my 70 year old grandfather called me last week to tell me that "the new EVO with 3D videos and pics and two cameras was coming out June 24th" I knew they had a hit. The EVO 3D will do numbers!

It will always be argued that new phone "X" is "better" but as others have stated EVO phones will continue to get Sprint preferential treatment as they are Sprints bread and butter. HTC is the best manufacturer hands down imo and they have proved this by listening to their customers with the bootloader issue and by launching a developer site to improve developers ability to work with Sense. I'm sure the EVO 3D will easily get us thru to June of 2012 unless HTC trumps themselves with some even newer (less 3D focused) device. Nex-gen EVO Shift could get my $ (If they don't intentionally cripple it ).....

I am sure the Evo 3d will get a lot of sales and should last till june 2012 though this fall through q1 2012 there will already be quad core phones so...

but I will disagree on HTC being the best manufacturer based on the 2 things you mentioned though..as many others never signed their bootloaders to begin with and already had SDKs/developer sites for their UIs...