PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo 3D Accessories (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=321)
-   -   Evo 3D Desktop Phone Dock (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=145906)

Palndrm12 07-21-2011 08:13 PM

Evo 3D Desktop Phone Dock

Anyone find or looking for a desktop phone dock? With the lack of a kickstand, all the media functionality, and short lived battery during high data usage I am looking for something for my desk.

Any thoughts on something that already exists, I have searched some of the trusted sites and stores but came up empty.

If nothing was available I was thinking about crafting something simple with bent metal or maybe create a hybrid bent metal with some of those flexible tripod legs. This way I could still charge it with just an extra cable I had.

Anyone fashion anything like this with other phones? Would love to see some project pics.

Palndrm12 07-23-2011 08:24 AM

Re: Evo 3D Desktop Phone Dock

1 Attachment(s)
Alright I don't know how I missed this before. Maybe because it wasn't included in the accessories when I went from the phone link or something but anyways here is what Best Buy has for $49.99. (pic attached too)

HTC - Micro USB Desktop Docking Station for EVO 3D

Not crazy about the look...seems a little iPhonish. I also looked at whats included in the box and it only reads the cradle itself and the manual. I am guessing you need to supply your own micro cable since I don't see one in the picture. So for $50 you are getting a piece of plastic to hold up your phone. The iGrip car dock is only $39.99 and that has way more moving components but also lacks a micro cable. It would have been nice to at least have the option of charging another battery at the same time.

Well I might check HD and Lowes and see what I can manufacture myself for less. Anyone know of a good place to get micro cables for cheap?

hec 07-26-2011 12:59 PM

Cellularfactory.com sells a couple, each of which are cheaper than the one from HTC:

Phone only: Htc Evo 3D Cell Phone Desktop Charging Dock/Cradle (Black), FREE Shipping, Htc Evo 3D PHONE Cell Phone Desktop Charging Dock/Cradle (Black) ($20)

Phone + spare battery: Htc Evo 3D Desktop Charging Dock / Sync 3-in-1 Desktop Cradle (Black), FREE Shipping, Htc Evo 3D PHONE Desktop Charging Dock / Sync 3-in-1 Desktop Cradle (Black) ($26)

Both are in stock as of this post, though the second one's about to sell out (4 left)

nikkobenson 07-26-2011 03:40 PM

Good find on these docks.

Do they work with cases?
Does anyone actually own one of these cases and can they do a review?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

head honch 07-26-2011 04:25 PM

i doubt they fit with cases those docks are designed phone size sepcific

Palndrm12 07-26-2011 07:45 PM

Hec, great find. Have you ordered from these guys before?

Like the option of being able to charge another battery plus it comes with another ac adapter and usb cable.

I didn't really think about the case issue but that's a good point. I am going to have to agree that it prolly won't fit with a case. Also interested in any reviews user pics.

Sent from my Evo 3D using PPCGeeks for Android

hec 07-28-2011 11:05 AM

I ordered the cheaper of the two, but despite the availability indicating that it's in stock, I received an email from them indicating that it's back-ordered (4-7 business days). BTW, no, I haven't ordered from them before. Guess we'll see.

Krabe-Re 07-29-2011 03:36 AM

Please tell me this stylus is attached to the headphone jack? : O
but what's the point? so as not to lose?

hec 08-02-2011 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
FYI, I received my dock today from cellularfactory.com, so they and the dock are legit.

As for whether or not you can use it with a case on the phone, the base is deep enough to allow a few mm of clearance behind the phone (i.e., the connector holds up the phone, not the raised part of the dock). So as long as the side of your case isn't too thick to prevent the USB connector from plugging in, you're good.

I guess I could infer that this dock wasn't designed specifically for the 3VO, but I'm OK with the extra room. It may not be as sturdy as it could be, but the connection is snug; if I pick up the phone, the dock goes with it. I can even hold the dock upside down, and the phone remains attached.

Pic attached with side view.

Palndrm12 08-26-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hec (Post 2134666)
FYI, I received my dock today from cellularfactory.com, so they and the dock are legit.

As for whether or not you can use it with a case on the phone, the base is deep enough to allow a few mm of clearance behind the phone (i.e., the connector holds up the phone, not the raised part of the dock). So as long as the side of your case isn't too thick to prevent the USB connector from plugging in, you're good.

I guess I could infer that this dock wasn't designed specifically for the 3VO, but I'm OK with the extra room. It may not be as sturdy as it could be, but the connection is snug; if I pick up the phone, the dock goes with it. I can even hold the dock upside down, and the phone remains attached.

Pic attached with side view.

Hec, this looks pretty good and it actually looks like it might fit with my Otterbox Commuter case too. Seems like you got it fairly quickly despite the email you got. I think I am going to have to order one of these myself.