PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible

Notices



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 AM
swegin's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
Pocket PC: android htc incredible
Carrier: verizon
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
Reputation: 0
swegin is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can I Change the Rom for the second time?

Hello all-
I am completey new user to the android and yesterday I rooted my phone and replaced the ROM, due to the fact I wanted more freedom from the default ROM. However, I am noticing that the new ROM took away the incredible keyboard (which I liked), the HTC 4x4 calender agenda widget, and not to mention my battery is depleting quicker than before. So I want to find a better ROM..... However, can i keep replacing the ROM? or is this a bad idea? and if I do replace the ROM can i find one that has the stock HTC calender & Keyboard, or since it is no longer on my phone will I never be able to get them back?
So if I can replace the ROM again, does anyone have some recommendations for an Awesome ROM for the Incredible?

Thanks in advance,

Swegin
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2010, 11:31 AM
lafester's Avatar
Almost a VIP
Offline
Pocket PC: EVO3D
Carrier: SERO-P
Location: Saratoga, NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 810
Reputation: 751
lafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Can I Change the Rom for the second time?

you may change roms at will.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2010, 01:35 PM
swegin's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
Pocket PC: android htc incredible
Carrier: verizon
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
Reputation: 0
swegin is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Can I Change the Rom for the second time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafester View Post
you may change roms at will.
Do I have to Flash my phone again? or can i simply throw the new ROM on the SD card and install it in recovery mode?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2010, 03:19 PM
lafester's Avatar
Almost a VIP
Offline
Pocket PC: EVO3D
Carrier: SERO-P
Location: Saratoga, NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 810
Reputation: 751
lafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Can I Change the Rom for the second time?

not sure what you mean by flashing but yes just put the rom on sd and boot into recovery. it is always a good idea to wipe all user data between roms though. just get familiar with the backup programs and you should be good.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2010, 03:36 PM
syrguy1969's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4
Carrier: Verizon
Location: Syracuse, NY
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,519
Reputation: 4699
syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Can I Change the Rom for the second time?

What are you looking for in a ROM? We may be able to steer you in the right direction if you like. Other than keeping certain parts of stock, what do you want? Get rid of Sence, have/don't have certain features/bloatware?

Personally I use Virtuous 2.7. The Virtuous ROM has been made to be as close to stock as possible while cutting out a lot of the bloatware, so if your not looking to get rid of Sense I can post a link to it.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2010, 05:32 PM
jbh00jh's Avatar
Almost a VIP
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible ,HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon
Location: SC
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 968
Reputation: 475
jbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Can I Change the Rom for the second time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
What are you looking for in a ROM? We may be able to steer you in the right direction if you like. Other than keeping certain parts of stock, what do you want? Get rid of Sence, have/don't have certain features/bloatware?

Personally I use Virtuous 2.7. The Virtuous ROM has been made to be as close to stock as possible while cutting out a lot of the bloatware, so if your not looking to get rid of Sense I can post a link to it.
SYRGUY 1969 , hey man , Virtuous 3.0 is out now. He updated again , 3.0.1 is now out.
__________________
HTC Incredible
HTC Thunderbolt
1.70.605.0
Radio
1.39.00.0627r

Last edited by jbh00jh; 09-24-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2010, 07:57 PM
syrguy1969's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4
Carrier: Verizon
Location: Syracuse, NY
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,519
Reputation: 4699
syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Can I Change the Rom for the second time?

Yeah, I'm waiting for a bit of feedback on 3.0.1 first, after the initial 3.0.0 issues, I'm being careful!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2010, 06:17 PM
dayusmc's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3
Reputation: 0
dayusmc is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Can I Change the Rom for the second time?

OK, need advice. I had the Motorola Droid 1 liked it. I got the incredible and didn't like it because of the battery dieing so quick and the keyboard was a little more crammed than the Motorola, And could not sort my contacts by last name!! So I got a droid 2 globle, but do not like that UI because they took away the sort by last name option from it- Blur sucks!! My question, should I send the D2 back and try and get a rom for the incredible that increases battery life or should I keep the D2 Global and mess with that. Need opinion asap, I have to send the D2 global or incredible back tomorrow. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2010, 07:57 PM
syrguy1969's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4
Carrier: Verizon
Location: Syracuse, NY
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,519
Reputation: 4699
syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Can I Change the Rom for the second time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayusmc View Post
OK, need advice. I had the Motorola Droid 1 liked it. I got the incredible and didn't like it because of the battery dieing so quick and the keyboard was a little more crammed than the Motorola, And could not sort my contacts by last name!! So I got a droid 2 globle, but do not like that UI because they took away the sort by last name option from it- Blur sucks!! My question, should I send the D2 back and try and get a rom for the incredible that increases battery life or should I keep the D2 Global and mess with that. Need opinion asap, I have to send the D2 global or incredible back tomorrow. Thanks!!
I really don't know anything about the Global so I won't say anything against it, but I do know the Incredible and I am very happy with it. I don't know about sorting contacts by last name, but I would be surprised if there wasn't an app out there to help with that. I can attest to the fact that my battery life is pretty good using a custom ROM (Redemptive rEVOlution 2.1.3) and Ziggy's kernel (Adryn's is great on the virtuous ROM as well), and there are a few 3rd party keyboards with different looks for the Incredible (including the new gingerbread keyboard).

Basically I would say if it were me, if it were only the contact sorting I would stick with the Global (assuming the rest of the phone was good) but if you really don't like the UI and Sense is more to your liking I would probably get the Incredible.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with getting the best device for your needs.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2010, 08:11 PM
dayusmc's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3
Reputation: 0
dayusmc is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Can I Change the Rom for the second time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
I really don't know anything about the Global so I won't say anything against it, but I do know the Incredible and I am very happy with it. I don't know about sorting contacts by last name, but I would be surprised if there wasn't an app out there to help with that. I can attest to the fact that my battery life is pretty good using a custom ROM (Redemptive rEVOlution 2.1.3) and Ziggy's kernel (Adryn's is great on the virtuous ROM as well), and there are a few 3rd party keyboards with different looks for the Incredible (including the new gingerbread keyboard).

Basically I would say if it were me, if it were only the contact sorting I would stick with the Global (assuming the rest of the phone was good) but if you really don't like the UI and Sense is more to your liking I would probably get the Incredible.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with getting the best device for your needs.
After searching around a bit. Looks like the incredible has a lot more custom roms and stuff. One question, can I root the incredible and put a custom rom on it before I activate it?
Reply With Quote
Reply

  PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com