PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Droid Incredible (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Can I Change the Rom for the second time? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=134138)

swegin 09-22-2010 09:36 AM

Can I Change the Rom for the second time?

Hello all-
I am completey new user to the android and yesterday I rooted my phone and replaced the ROM, due to the fact I wanted more freedom from the default ROM. However, I am noticing that the new ROM took away the incredible keyboard (which I liked), the HTC 4x4 calender agenda widget, and not to mention my battery is depleting quicker than before. So I want to find a better ROM..... However, can i keep replacing the ROM? or is this a bad idea? and if I do replace the ROM can i find one that has the stock HTC calender & Keyboard, or since it is no longer on my phone will I never be able to get them back?
So if I can replace the ROM again, does anyone have some recommendations for an Awesome ROM for the Incredible?

Thanks in advance,

Swegin

lafester 09-22-2010 11:31 AM

Re: Can I Change the Rom for the second time?

you may change roms at will.

swegin 09-22-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lafester (Post 1952255)
you may change roms at will.

Do I have to Flash my phone again? or can i simply throw the new ROM on the SD card and install it in recovery mode?

lafester 09-22-2010 03:19 PM

not sure what you mean by flashing but yes just put the rom on sd and boot into recovery. it is always a good idea to wipe all user data between roms though. just get familiar with the backup programs and you should be good.

syrguy1969 09-24-2010 03:36 PM

What are you looking for in a ROM? We may be able to steer you in the right direction if you like. Other than keeping certain parts of stock, what do you want? Get rid of Sence, have/don't have certain features/bloatware?

Personally I use Virtuous 2.7. The Virtuous ROM has been made to be as close to stock as possible while cutting out a lot of the bloatware, so if your not looking to get rid of Sense I can post a link to it.

jbh00jh 09-24-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syrguy1969 (Post 1955370)
What are you looking for in a ROM? We may be able to steer you in the right direction if you like. Other than keeping certain parts of stock, what do you want? Get rid of Sence, have/don't have certain features/bloatware?

Personally I use Virtuous 2.7. The Virtuous ROM has been made to be as close to stock as possible while cutting out a lot of the bloatware, so if your not looking to get rid of Sense I can post a link to it.

SYRGUY 1969 , hey man , Virtuous 3.0 is out now. He updated again , 3.0.1 is now out.

syrguy1969 09-24-2010 07:57 PM

Yeah, I'm waiting for a bit of feedback on 3.0.1 first, after the initial 3.0.0 issues, I'm being careful!!! ;)

dayusmc 12-19-2010 07:17 PM

OK, need advice. I had the Motorola Droid 1 liked it. I got the incredible and didn't like it because of the battery dieing so quick and the keyboard was a little more crammed than the Motorola, And could not sort my contacts by last name!! So I got a droid 2 globle, but do not like that UI because they took away the sort by last name option from it- Blur sucks!! My question, should I send the D2 back and try and get a rom for the incredible that increases battery life or should I keep the D2 Global and mess with that. Need opinion asap, I have to send the D2 global or incredible back tomorrow. Thanks!!

syrguy1969 12-19-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dayusmc (Post 2016475)
OK, need advice. I had the Motorola Droid 1 liked it. I got the incredible and didn't like it because of the battery dieing so quick and the keyboard was a little more crammed than the Motorola, And could not sort my contacts by last name!! So I got a droid 2 globle, but do not like that UI because they took away the sort by last name option from it- Blur sucks!! My question, should I send the D2 back and try and get a rom for the incredible that increases battery life or should I keep the D2 Global and mess with that. Need opinion asap, I have to send the D2 global or incredible back tomorrow. Thanks!!

I really don't know anything about the Global so I won't say anything against it, but I do know the Incredible and I am very happy with it. I don't know about sorting contacts by last name, but I would be surprised if there wasn't an app out there to help with that. I can attest to the fact that my battery life is pretty good using a custom ROM (Redemptive rEVOlution 2.1.3) and Ziggy's kernel (Adryn's is great on the virtuous ROM as well), and there are a few 3rd party keyboards with different looks for the Incredible (including the new gingerbread keyboard).

Basically I would say if it were me, if it were only the contact sorting I would stick with the Global (assuming the rest of the phone was good) but if you really don't like the UI and Sense is more to your liking I would probably get the Incredible.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with getting the best device for your needs.

dayusmc 12-19-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syrguy1969 (Post 2016526)
I really don't know anything about the Global so I won't say anything against it, but I do know the Incredible and I am very happy with it. I don't know about sorting contacts by last name, but I would be surprised if there wasn't an app out there to help with that. I can attest to the fact that my battery life is pretty good using a custom ROM (Redemptive rEVOlution 2.1.3) and Ziggy's kernel (Adryn's is great on the virtuous ROM as well), and there are a few 3rd party keyboards with different looks for the Incredible (including the new gingerbread keyboard).

Basically I would say if it were me, if it were only the contact sorting I would stick with the Global (assuming the rest of the phone was good) but if you really don't like the UI and Sense is more to your liking I would probably get the Incredible.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with getting the best device for your needs.

After searching around a bit. Looks like the incredible has a lot more custom roms and stuff. One question, can I root the incredible and put a custom rom on it before I activate it?