PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Droid Incredible (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Improved battery life - HTC power widgets (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=124278)

MrRedPants 06-08-2010 03:03 PM

Improved battery life - HTC power widgets

I'm trying to locate a description of what each of the HTC settings widgets do.

Add --> widget --> settings

What does the "mobile network" toggle actually turn on and off. I'm looking to improve battery life a bit. I thought that if I turned that off, it's essentially airplane mode and the phone radio is off, however I can make and receive calls. I also thought maybe it was the "sync" option, however when turned off, the sync is still enabled in the 'other' power widget so I know it's not that.

Most of my day is spent in a building with a less than ideal cell signal, but does have wireless.

So, shortened
1. What is mobile network toggle?
2. What are opinions on the ideal settings to improve battery life?

Thanks.

phreekopath 06-08-2010 04:54 PM

Re: Improved battery life - HTC power widgets

It has something to do with the data network. I'm not entirely sure, but with it on, i can run the speedtest.net app and with it off, I cannot, though i am still capable of email and web browsing.

There is a widget called "power control" that I've been using since day 1
It gives you options for wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync, and screen brightness all in a single bar for quick access. Turning the screen down when you're in a building, and turning off sync when you're in the office should help save your battery a bit. On the same screen i also have the airplane mode toggle (for meetings) and the mobile network toggle - which i thought just turned off the 3g, saving your battery if you're in an area where 3g is hard to come by or you bounce between 1x and 3g, but I've been told that is not what it does.

hexto 06-08-2010 07:40 PM

Re: Improved battery life - HTC power widgets

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRedPants (Post 1801668)
I'm trying to locate a description of what each of the HTC settings widgets do.

Add --> widget --> settings

What does the "mobile network" toggle actually turn on and off. I'm looking to improve battery life a bit. I thought that if I turned that off, it's essentially airplane mode and the phone radio is off, however I can make and receive calls. I also thought maybe it was the "sync" option, however when turned off, the sync is still enabled in the 'other' power widget so I know it's not that.

Most of my day is spent in a building with a less than ideal cell signal, but does have wireless.

So, shortened
1. What is mobile network toggle?
2. What are opinions on the ideal settings to improve battery life?

Thanks.

Mobile Network Toggle shuts off your data. It save power by not transmitting data in the background such as email updates, weather, or any other app that uses data in the background. You can turn it back on when you want to browse or update anything.

Personally I never turn off mobile network because I depend on my email for work. I do shut off GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth to maximize my battery life.

According to HTC: http://www.htc.com/us/support/droid-...er-and-battery

How do I optimize the battery power? Battery performance depends on many factors, including network configuration, signal strength, the temperature of the environment in which you operate your phone, the features and/or settings you select and use, items attached to connecting ports, and your voice, data, and other program usage patterns. To increase battery performance you can turn off Bluetooth, GPS, Mobile network, Wi-Fi, notifications, and other options that you may not frequently use. You can also decrease the screen brightness or the screen timeout time.
Hope this helps :)