PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 12:26 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: verizon

Anothen is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 'DROID INCREDIBLE' --- HD2? Flash to WM?

I think I've seen this same thread over on XDA. The conclusion over there was that it will not ever happen because Windows requires 'licensing' to be used and is purchased for each individual Windows Mobile phone you see. Android (Linux) is open source, therefore, you can pretty much do whatever you want with it which is why you see it used on WM phones but not vice-versa. Therefore, it would be blatantly illegal. Besides, from a OS vs OS standpoint, I've used WM phones for a loooong time but became sick of soft-resetting everyday, telling people to hold on a second while I figure out why my phone froze so I could check appointments, having a sucky marketplace, (do I need to continue?). I'm not bashing WM users but once I tried Android running off my SD card on my TP2, I was hooked and it wasn't even fully working!
Touch Pro 2 (Rhodium) - Sold
HTC INCREDIBLE - Current
Old 06-06-2010, 05:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Fascinate
Carrier: VZW

Hawks2005 is keeping up the good workHawks2005 is keeping up the good work

The previous poster makes a great point, as do all the others. Even if it was possible to put WM on an Android device, I doubt there are even enough people that would want that to happen. If I were you I would just wait until WP7 comes out, from what I understand a prerequisite of the phone is a 1ghz processor, so at the end of the year you will most likely have a few options. As far as the LG goes, considering that it's an LG running 6.5, I would probably stay away from it.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible ,HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

jbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

WM to the Inc won't happen. WM is on the way out so you might as well switch to android , that way you won't have to reset all day and put up with constant lags. And you won't run out of memory.

Sent from my Droid Incredible with Tapatalk Pro
Radio
1.39.00.0627r
Old 06-06-2010, 09:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio/HTC Incredible

brandonpa is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbh00jh View Post
WM to the Inc won't happen. WM is on the way out so you might as well switch to android , that way you won't have to reset all day and put up with constant lags. And you won't run out of memory.

What we know of windows mobile is on the way out, but Windows mobile isn't gone and it won't be gone, for a long time.

But in response to the creator of this forum. I came from the imagio to this phone (purchasing out right). I do love my imagio and I have been with Windows Mobile (or microsoft mobile products) for over 6 years. So for me to change operating systems at full cost is a huge change for me. However, the biggest problem with the imagio it is slow, it gets bogged down easily, and unless you have the extended battery the life of the phone sucks as well. That said, there are tweaks and they finally cracked the SPL to load up custom roms which does help greatly in extending the battery life as well as does speed the phone up, but unfortunately it only works so much due to the limitations of the hardware. I'm am curious on what WM7 will be like. I see this phone as a stepping stone for potential (i use that term very lightly) WM7 in the future, but time will tell.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible ,HTC Imagio

jbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Most of the serious threads on WM7 are saying that the windows phone (WM7) will be a media phone for the teens ( facebook ,tweeter, etc) and you will have to buy the apps from their market.
Not like the old days.
After all these years of users complaining about slow , laggy OSs why didn't MS have the sense to make the phone designers put the correct processors and enough memory to eliminate the lag and freezes ? WM is a big duh . They need to fire the current mobile development team and hire people who get it. Read the threads MS , those are the people who buy your phones.

Last edited by jbh00jh; 06-07-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC6800
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)
Threadstarter

jhasty01 is a n00b

I prefer the Windows environment for mobile development and also for its contacts and email system. For the most part, I code for the Windows platform and would like to get into the mobile programming end of the spectrum. As for the functionality side, I like Outlook for my business and residential use. All of my contacts and mail are stored in Outlook. I am sure that the Android is capable of synching contacts and mail, however I prefer to only use google's email service for its spam filtering. In the past and most likely in the near future, an Exchange server email setup will also be utilized.

I have also been looking at the LG Fathom, but would really like to stick with HTC.

Also-- I just find it odd that phone carriers do not yet offer the latest technology in multiple platforms. It's not like they don't already get software licensing in bulk.

Last edited by jhasty01; 06-07-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC6800
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)
Threadstarter

jhasty01 is a n00b

Maybe I'll just wait for this:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/27/s...-by-years-end/

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible