PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: Verizon

dobest is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Can everyone test this? see if its all inc phones or just some?

Had mine for going on two weeks now, and have not had this particular problem, will do some testing and report back...
Old 05-18-2010, 09:31 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I find it funny the things that make us do these tests. If it weren't for the OP, I know I would never have been sitting in my office building a suspension apparatus to test the screen.

Am I a geek or what???? I find this FUN!!!!!!

Old 05-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible

askwhy is halfway to VIP status based on repaskwhy is halfway to VIP status based on repaskwhy is halfway to VIP status based on repaskwhy is halfway to VIP status based on repaskwhy is halfway to VIP status based on repaskwhy is halfway to VIP status based on repaskwhy is halfway to VIP status based on repaskwhy is halfway to VIP status based on repaskwhy is halfway to VIP status based on repaskwhy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I do have this issue on my Incredible. It seems that anytime it is fairly isolated from some sort of ground, that the screen will become nearly unresponsive to operation by a single finger. When it is in this unresponsive state, touching the side of the phone with as much as a single *other* finger, even from the same hand as the one operating the touchscreen, that will allow for normal touchscreen responsiveness. The presence of the silicone case, or its absence, seems to make no difference.

Nobody should let the styrofoam example in the video(s) suggest to them that this only happens in 'obscure circumstances' -- this happens (if and when it happens) on all sorts of regular, everyday surfaces. For me, it happens on the couch (microfiber), or even if it is sitting on another object that is itself sitting on the couch. It will certainly happen when it is sitting in my car dock (plastic), but *not* if it is also plugged in to the cassette adapter, or charger.

I had the phone on top of an empty 100-DVD spindle, which was on my (crowded) desk, and it wouldn't work from there. If I set the phone directly on the same desk, or even on top of other (shorter? denser?) objects on the same desk, it works fine.

Grounding is definitely a factor. Static may be another. Something else? Humidity? Planetary Alignments?

I was testing this on so many surfaces the other day, I accidentally called South Africa (011455...) while spamming buttons on the dialer. In a panic I backed out of the dialer before hanging up and it was connected long enough for me to briefly hear a woman's voice. Whoops.

Anyways, the issue is real, and if you don't seem to have experienced it, just be glad. I don't see how this could be a hardware grounding issue, but only exist in some phones. Everything is so tightly packed in there, and this isn't like a faulty chip -- this is somehow electrical, and situational.

Last edited by askwhy; 05-18-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Threadstarter

cOnTaGoUs is just getting started

Yeah its defo kinda weird how only happens on some, but thanks for everyones tests
Old 05-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

bast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

You know, I am glad you posted this. I was going to post asking if anyone had experienced any oddities with the touch screen not working on some surfaces or in some situations. It sounds stupid, but i have had weird issues with the touchscreen becoming almost impossible to use if the phone is resting on various surfaces in my house. For intance, the arm of my faux suede covered reclinig chair, the arm of my couch, or yes, on my pillow which is a memory foam pillow. This is a real issue, although really just a minor annoyance.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:23 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Seems a few people have seen it, and as askwhy mentioned, I don't know how it could be a hardware grounding issue, but that is what it sounds like to me. Maybe there is a batch that have something inside connected wrong, faulty soldering....who knows what. Has anyone called HTC or tried a replacement device? I certainly hope it isn't (don't know how) something specific to your locations and would happen to any Inc you get.

Let us know if anyone makes any progress or figures it out, I know I'm interested/curious as to what it could be.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85

Quote:
Originally Posted by cOnTaGoUs View Post
This is a test someone has done and found might be a ground problem with the HTC inc, not really a massive problem, and i'm still happy i got the phone, (cant wait for it to get here) but wondered if everyone was having this issue, because it could be bad enough for a recall or something, and i just don't need that hehe

Thanks

Link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQRgT3gtmsI
WOW ogm i just tryed this and did have a unresponive device!! wtf What in strofoam causes the touchscreen to act this way!! great find thanks has been awarded!!

Last edited by Adrianh85; 05-19-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:51 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianh85 View Post
WOW ogm i just tryed this and did have a unresponive device!! wtf What in strofoam causes the touchscreen to act this way!! great find thanks has been awarded!!
It's not the Styrofoam that causes this. Seems there is a problem with the grounding with the foam. You should be able to reproduce this on most surfaces.

Follow me on mytabletlife.com
Old 05-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingwolf View Post
It's not the Styrofoam that causes this. Seems there is a problem with the grounding with the foam. You should be able to reproduce this on most surfaces.
so during a thunderstorm everyone please do not
1. leave phone on styrofoam
2. leave phone on glass table (that is not properly grounded)
3. leave phone suspended in mid-air (without proper grounding)

lls
Old 05-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: tp
Carrier: vzw

brif4i is a n00b

mine works fine and thats all I care about

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible