PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: hero cdma
Carrier: sprint

drksilenc is keeping up the good workdrksilenc is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Task killers are bad...

ok guys everyone thinks a task killer is a great thing on android. ITS NOT
Flipz made a post about it on his personal site where he does roms kitchens and all sorts of stuff for the hero. please stop advising to get a task killer
http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-b...-with-android/
Old 05-12-2010, 07:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: .
Carrier: .

milesnapue is becoming a great contributor
Re: Task killers are bad...

As I stated in the other thread you commented on. I have read that before. I am simply going off the fact that a task killer gives me another whole day of battery life than just backing out of everything.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

task killers are not bad, no nexus one user will ever tell you that.
Google is the next skynet
Old 05-12-2010, 09:17 PM
AKA TEMPERBAD
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2/ N1

Dragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I use task killers to kill apps for high memory games. Apps that aren't responding correctly, and just every now and again (I say once a day, morning, ) kill everything..... works great
there needed but not as much as winmo
Old 05-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon2 View Post
I use task killers to kill apps for high memory games. Apps that aren't responding correctly, and just every now and again (I say once a day, morning, ) kill everything..... works great
there needed but not as much as winmo
yeah everytime i want to play homerun battle i have to use a task killer or that game will lag.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: hero cdma
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

drksilenc is keeping up the good workdrksilenc is keeping up the good work

well if thats the case the programers did a piss poor job of programing the game then because you are suppose to be able to completely back out of the program
Old 05-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

bast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

After reading several different threads on various Android forums, I too was convinced that I didn't need or want a task killer on my incredible. So I removed ATK and just ran it as is for a couple days.

I have to say, experiment failed. After a day I noticed my phone was chugging pretty badly. Swiping between screens and web browsing, loading apps... just a lot of stutters and choppiness. So I reinstalled ATK and opened it to find my reported available RAM was 30 MB. I killed off some stuff I knew didnt need to be running, saw my RAM jump up to 110 MB, and noticed my phones performance improve IMMEDIATELY.

Now, I will say that I am using ATK almost exclusively to kill 3rd party apps I've downloaded from the market. Most of the apps that are stock on the phone have been put on the ignore list.

I am now definitely convinced that ATK serves a good purpose and won't be removing it again.

Last edited by bast525; 05-14-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible ,HTC Imagio

jbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I do not use the task manager since the first day I had the phone. I have never seen my memory under 110 MBs. I power my phone off when charging and it restarts at 271 MBs each morning , always have plenty of memory.
Of course I don't keep 500 read txts or 200 read emails or 5 days days of browser history and cache on it either.
Radio
1.39.00.0627r
Old 05-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

bast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbh00jh View Post
I do not use the task manager since the first day I had the phone. I have never seen my memory under 110 MBs. I power my phone off when charging and it restarts at 271 MBs each morning , always have plenty of memory.
Of course I don't keep 500 read txts or 200 read emails or 5 days days of browser history and cache on it either.
That's the thing though.... I don't WANT to have to reboot the phone. Ever, if it can be helped. Sure, if I reboot every day my RAM would probably never get low like that. Or, I can just use ATK to kill out RAM-hungry third party apps when needed.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible ,HTC Imagio

jbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bast525 View Post
That's the thing though.... I don't WANT to have to reboot the phone. Ever, if it can be helped. Sure, if I reboot every day my RAM would probably never get low like that. Or, I can just use ATK to kill out RAM-hungry third party apps when needed.
The last two days I turned the phone off to charge it faster because I had to go back to the office . Before that it has not rebooted since I did a factory reset test on May 1st. That's two weeks not below 110MBs with no resets.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible