PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Droid Incredible (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Eventually upgrade to android 2.2? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=120912)

brandonpa 05-12-2010 04:16 PM

Eventually upgrade to android 2.2?

I am seriously considering changing over from my Imagio to the Incredible, and was wondering if anyone knows if this phone will be supported to be able to load Android 2.2. I probably will switch anyways, but this will help make the transition faster than it probably would otherwise.

Adrianh85 05-12-2010 04:37 PM

Re: Eventually upgrade to android 2.2?

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonpa (Post 1747917)
I am seriously considering changing over from my Imagio to the Incredible, and was wondering if anyone knows if this phone will be supported to be able to load Android 2.2. I probably will switch anyways, but this will help make the transition faster than it probably would otherwise.

from the way it looks to me we would only get it offically if htc and verizon team to release a update!! devices like the n1 are google experince phones and probly end up getting it first offically!!

now we will have a cooked version asap once the process for rooting is dropped!!

brandonpa 05-12-2010 05:42 PM

of which brings me to my next question. Can you download any program for the droid and run it, or does it have to come from the market place only?

jbh00jh 05-12-2010 06:25 PM

Now you have to get the apps from the Market. You can't use WM apps at all.
Rumor is , 2.2 will be here in June.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

shadowmite 05-12-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonpa (Post 1748036)
of which brings me to my next question. Can you download any program for the droid and run it, or does it have to come from the market place only?

you can run any app, just enable it in settings. That doesn't require root. However if the app requires root to do something the system won't normally let you do, that functionality won't work yet.

jbh00jh 05-12-2010 08:56 PM

Article over on phonearena today claims Android 2.2 will be twice as fast as 2.1.

www.phonearena.com/htmls/articals.php

brandonpa 05-12-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Now you have to get the apps from the Market. You can't use WM apps at all.
Rumor is , 2.2 will be here in June.
Ya I am aware of the android only programs, as there are only iphone and wm programs as well. Looked back on that statement poor choice of words, :read: but that is what I was wondering regarding downloading freeware from other sites and being able to run. But in regards to the market place are there free programs to download? Sorry for all of the probably dumb questions, but using windows mobile for the past 4 years and counting, I am used to finding a program I want, downloading it, and installing it. Never used any kind of market place.

jbh00jh 05-12-2010 09:52 PM

Lots of free apps on the Marketplace.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

TonyK 05-12-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonpa (Post 1748036)

As long as its for Android it will run. I downloaded "Isilo" for Android from Isilo website it runs great

TonyK 05-12-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbh00jh (Post 1748553)
Article over on phonearena today claims Android 2.2 will be twice as fast as 2.1.

www.phonearena.com/htmls/articals.php

Faster yet, thats great news