PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

qwho is keeping up the good workqwho is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Task killers are bad...

I also agree that if they are used properly they are effective. I only use one for auto kill of city ID, friend stream, footprints, flikr, stock mail app, peep, and calendar, all of which I don't use at all, but are always listed as being open and using battery in my battery usage list. It works silently and I seem to have better battery, and city id never pops up anymore.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: Verizon

dobest is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesnapue View Post
so set your task killer to ignore pandora...
Well color me stupid.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:46 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC PRO

mrspeedmaster is a n00b

Hey, I am always running down to 30-40 megs. Every day. So a taskiller is vital to me.

I don't know why but I get a lot of apps that launch by themselves like City ID, Twidroid, Footprints. I never use them.

The only problem with using a Task Killer is that they also kill system daemons. E.G. Alarm clock. When I kill everything, the Alarm clock never works despite the fact, I still have the icon on top. I have to reboot my Droid at night to make sure my alarm clock works.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:19 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible!
Carrier: VZW

MrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeedmaster View Post
Hey, I am always running down to 30-40 megs. Every day. So a taskiller is vital to me.

I don't know why but I get a lot of apps that launch by themselves like City ID, Twidroid, Footprints. I never use them.

The only problem with using a Task Killer is that they also kill system daemons. E.G. Alarm clock. When I kill everything, the Alarm clock never works despite the fact, I still have the icon on top. I have to reboot my Droid at night to make sure my alarm clock works.
i use "advanced task killer (ATK)" and i simply added the "clock" app to the exceptions list. so even if i kill all apps, the clock remains open and my alarm works as intended. i trust it everyday of the week to wake up for work, and it has not let me down.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

joe50000 is a n00b

It really depends on how much data is on your phone. If you have a huge number of contacts and SMSs on your phone it'll slow it down for sure.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:06 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC/Vz Touch Pro
Carrier: VzW

Big Calhoun is a n00b

Interesting reading.

When I was on the Motorola Droid, I was using a task killer. After a day or so, there was noticeable sluggishness when going from screen to screen or browsing through my apps. I ended up using a task killer and was able to manage performance day to day, but it was such a chore.

I've probably only rebooted my Incredible about 3 times since launch, and that was more out of my own abundance of caution than it was performance related. If anything, I have more widgets loaded than I did with my Droid and use most of the same apps I did. Outside of one reboot because of a quirk (which I think was related to the app itself), I haven't had any performance issues on this device at all.

Given the experiences I had with the Moto Droid, I am of the school of thought that if you understand how to setup a task killer properly, it can't hurt. At the same time, I'm glad to be rid of them.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible