PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 08:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6800 > HTC Touch Pro (Alltel!) > HTC Incredible
Carrier: Alltel -> VZW

Ed Zachary is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Did I get TWO bad phones?

Boss Lady and I both got Incredibles last Wednesday night. Hers has had no changes. All she has done is add contacts. She can send and receive texts, cruise the Web, take and send pictures, and her battery life is great. She can charge it once a day or two and she's good to go.

The first one I had, on the other hand, would eat the battery alive. When I first started it up, it went to the Home screen instead of walking through the tutorials, etc, like the Boss Lady's. I did a hard reset and things started up like they should. It also downloaded and installed an update. Put it back on the charger overnight. After about two hours off the charger (and doing nothing) and the battery would be half used. And the phone would be hot. After four hours it would be crying for the charger.

I called VZW the second night I had it and they sent another. It arrived yesterday. I put the battery in, charged it, and put in some contacts. Put it back on the charger overnight. This morning, I took off the charger at about 5:30. It is now 8:30 and it is crying for the charger! Phone isn't hot, but the battery is almost all gone! It is also wanting to install the update.

Odd thing: The Boss Lady's awake and uptime timers are way different, as they should be, but mine (on the old and new phones) are in lockstep. The timers were a bit different on the new one last night, but now, after rebooting last night, they are in lockstep.

The only differences we can see between her phone and my new one is that her software number is 1.22.605.2 and mine is 1.22.605.0. She installed the OTA update when she was going through her initial setup.

Still, could it be possible for me to have gotten two phones that eat batteries?

Edit: May have found something.
I had taken the SD card out of my TP and put it in the Incredible. I moved it to the new Incredible last night. The SD card has a LOT of stuff on it.
The Boss Lady's Incredible has been SD card free all the time she has had it.
Took mine out and did a soft reset to see if that makes any difference.

Last edited by Ed Zachary; 05-12-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Update
Old 05-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible ,HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

jbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Did I get TWO bad phones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Zachary View Post
Boss Lady and I both got Incredibles last Wednesday night. Hers has had no changes. All she has done is add contacts. She can send and receive texts, cruise the Web, take and send pictures, and her battery life is great. She can charge it once a day or two and she's good to go.

The first one I had, on the other hand, would eat the battery alive. When I first started it up, it went to the Home screen instead of walking through the tutorials, etc, like the Boss Lady's. I did a hard reset and things started up like they should. It also downloaded and installed an update. Put it back on the charger overnight. After about two hours off the charger (and doing nothing) and the battery would be half used. And the phone would be hot. After four hours it would be crying for the charger.

I called VZW the second night I had it and they sent another. It arrived yesterday. I put the battery in, charged it, and put in some contacts. Put it back on the charger overnight. This morning, I took off the charger at about 5:30. It is now 8:30 and it is crying for the charger! Phone isn't hot, but the battery is almost all gone! It is also wanting to install the update.

Odd thing: The Boss Lady's awake and uptime timers are way different, as they should be, but mine (on the old and new phones) are in lockstep. The timers were a bit different on the new one last night, but now, after rebooting last night, they are in lockstep.

The only differences we can see between her phone and my new one is that her software number is 1.22.605.2 and mine is 1.22.605.0. She installed the OTA update when she was going through her initial setup.

Still, could it be possible for me to have gotten two phones that eat batteries?
The up to date software on this phone is 1.22.605.2 Firmware version 2.1 - update 1 .
You really can't tell about a battery in two or three days. It took mine a week to settle down and last a day. If you use WI-FI and bluetooth that will eat your battery fast. You can go into settings /wireless & networks/mobile networks and uncheck the third box down (always-on). That will save power.
You phone only has a 1300mAh batt , you might want to invest in a 1500 mAh or 1750 mAh batt that will last longer.
I have always plugged my phones in at the office and in the car so I would always have power. Always carried a spare batt in my briefcase for emergencies.
Radio
1.39.00.0627r
Old 05-12-2010, 10:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

You see, that's just the thing.
We did absolutely nothing to the Boss Lady's phone and it is getting great battery performance out of the box, from day one.
We did the same with mine and it can't stay alive more than 3 1/2 hours, doing NOTHING, before it starts crying for the charger.

The "old" one, that came the same day as the Boss Lady's, was that way for five days. And it was constantly HOT. Unless I completely powered it down.
The new one doesn't get hot. But it is still jonesing for the charger.

I let the update finish, so now the firmware version is up to date.

Taking the SD card out seems to have had no effect, either.

Last edited by Ed Zachary; 05-12-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible ,HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

jbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Could either be bad batt or bad phone. Probably the phone from what you said. Take it back to the store and trade it out again before they are out of stock again. Keep it up till they get it right. I have a good one and your boss has a good one so you know they have more good ones. Good luck !

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2010, 03:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

May have a fix, or at least a workaround...

I read in another battery-life related thread where some folks improved their battery life by killing an app, any app, after doing a soft reboot.

What I did:
Powered off.
Powered on.
Went into application management and killed Calendar (what the other person killed, as well).

Calendar has since restarted.

And my timers are almost three hours different. And the battery is NOT almost dead!

I'll see if I can find that thread and post a link to it.
And I'll post an update after a couple days of running.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible