PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible!
Carrier: VZW

MrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[DEV] - notifcation led alternative

I am not sure if I am the only one, but my biggest gripe with the incredible is the awful notifaction led placement. It seems to be sunk down to the point where viewing it an angle makes it hardly noticeable. I would like to come up with an alternative. I know it is possible to have the "home/menu/back/search" buttons light up when the backlight is off, i have seen them do this. So would it be possible to control these leds to act as notifcation lights.

Here are a few ideas:

If it is only possible to control all the button lights at once, then it would be nice to simply have them "pulse" when a notifaction comes in. possibly have different pulse speeds for different notications.

Or ideally, if we could control each individual button backlight (which i highly doubt is possible) to have different buttons light up or pulse for different notifcations.

So those are my ideas. I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in this? Also if anybody with android dev experience could shed some insight as to if this is possible or not, that would be great.

If i can't find anybody to help me with this, then i may look into learning myself. I have been wanting to get into android dev, and maybe this would be a good place to start. however i have absolutely no experience with programming, so we'll see how this goes.

Last edited by MrGoodCat; 05-07-2010 at 07:55 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible ,HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

jbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Need dev - notifcation led alternative

I would like to see it work.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Radio
1.39.00.0627r
Old 05-07-2010, 04:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid Incredible / Touch Pro 2

NCX Designs knows their stuffNCX Designs knows their stuffNCX Designs knows their stuffNCX Designs knows their stuffNCX Designs knows their stuffNCX Designs knows their stuffNCX Designs knows their stuff

But what if the LED that lights up that panel is only one single LED and not multiple ones?

maybe a "breathing" LED notification where it fades in and out??!

would be cool if it changed colors lol but i doubt it

If you like my work and want to donate, click here
Want to see my themes? Click here
If I helped you in any way, please click the "THANKS" button.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

MrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCX Designs View Post
But what if the LED that lights up that panel is only one single LED and not multiple ones?

maybe a "breathing" LED notification where it fades in and out??!

would be cool if it changed colors lol but i doubt it
yeah, exactly, and it most likely is a single led. thats why i stated two options. and i agree, having them "pulse" or "breathe" would be awesome.

however i would be stoked if it was four lights that could be controlled individually, but this is most likely not the case.

anyone have any insight on this dev wise? i assume its not too different from making a flashlight app, or the app on the n1 that controls the trackball led for notifactions. maybe i should contact that dev, haha, seems logical.

anyone else not like the led notifaction on the incredible? or is it just me? it seems so lacking in its notifaction ability, haha, i tend to never notice it
Old 05-07-2010, 05:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: droid incredible
Carrier: verizon

th3drow is a n00b

I'm in totally agreement with TC, the led is so sunken down that you have to be like right over it to notice it. It's better than nothing but its not good.

I like the idea of having the bottom lights pulse, this would be great. If only the trackball spot had a light on it that would be ideal.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Almost a VIP

jbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

So far I have been able to notice mine , but I'll try something new.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

good idea guys, will be watching this thread for sure!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:03 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: [DEV] - notifcation led alternative

I agree with the general idea of this thread, but I had a little different idea on it. Much like the reminder app I had running on my WM phones, I would have it set to remind me of an unread SMS, MMS and missed calls every 2 minutes, and as part of the audible and vibrating alert, the screen would wake up for a couple seconds. Just a second or two at every interval setup in the app would be enough.

Just my two cents.....its what works for me.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

ok, so i am certain this is possible with at least lighting up the entire "home/menu/back/search" ("hmbs bar" for short) bar. if i find that there are individual leds per button then i'll have to change my idea around a little. but here is what i am thinking so far:

this will be an app that has a gui. you can select what notifcations you the hmbs bar to light up on. you can then select whether they the leds should remain on or pulse. if you choose pulse you can select the pulse rate with preset values, ie 1,2,3,4...etc seconds. if you want you'll be able to select different pulse values for different notifications. the leds will do as requested when the screen backlight is off. when the screen is activated the hmbs bar will end its notification. also, the option to hit the volume down button to cease the hmbs bar notification would be nice as well.

so, that is what i got. any input would be great. so far, i know nothing about programming, so this may take a while. however i am a quick learner. if any dev wants to create what i have listed, by all means go ahead (give me some credit though, haha). i would rather have this done sooner than later. i can only hope this becomes a reality someday soon
Old 05-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Almost a VIP

You guys keep it going and make it happen . Great idea.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible