PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Droid Incredible (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   User reviews (mine at least) Please post FULL reviews: (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=120004)

syrguy1969 05-03-2010 12:23 PM

User reviews (mine at least) Please post FULL reviews:

I wanted to start an impression/user review thread here because I find a lot of people either don't know how to describe a problem, or don't want to sound like a 'noobie' by asking, so I thought a review thread would help see how others are using their Incredible and maybe say 'Gee...I didn't even know I could do that' or 'Wow...I had this all wrong' and we can help each other out as well as give interested parties non-professional, real-time user reviews/impressions. So here goes mine, and please feel free to leave yours as well:

OK...first couple days with my Incredible (and Android in general) and here are initial thoughts:

My main concern about this device would be the back cover. It seems to pop on + off rather easily and I would be concerned about it popping off at the wrong time and getting lost or bent (being made of what feels like a thin metal I haven't tested the strength of it yet). and since this is a pretty minor thing and most likely easily remedied by using a case I think the Incredibe (from hereon to be referred to as the Inc) is a winner!!!!

Alarm clock works well, the system is fast and I really like the feel of the Inc in the physical sense as well as in the 'Sense' sense (sorry, couldn't resist a bit of a pun there).

Coming from WM there are a few things that are tricky to get the hang of. One of them is the fact that during setup of the Inc your offered the option to synce Googlemail, Twitter, Facebook + Flickr which is great, but I made the mistake of not realizing that in doing so I have all my Facebook friends listed in my phone contact listing (99% are gaming friends that I would never have reason to call)....opps!!!! The thing that saved me there is that in the People icon there only seems to be my Googlemail contacts I converted from Outlook.

Another little frustration is that my lock screen won't change. I created a new theme for Sense with my wallpaper collection, and the lock is still the stock image. I even tried a 3rd party app that changes the lock to different styles and that will work for a time or two then it is back to stock!! It is a nagging little glitch, but I'll keep at it. I really miss all my weather, notifications and custimization allowed on the lock screen as well, I know the last text is shown for a bit, but I can't tell how many of multiple alerts there are (missed calls, texts, email...) (long-time S2U2 user....what can I say, I'm spoiled) but again, I'll work on it. I would like to disable the buttons while locked, but that isn't too much an issue either.

The apps are easily organized into folders for faster retrieval than just scrolling through the entire list, and I really like the variety of widgets that are stock (with the ability to get more later).

The processor on the Inc is super fast, I flip through screens and menus at a fast clip and I haven't had any issues of lag due to a lot of running apps. The camera works really well, fast to open and the touch to focus works like a dream.

Wifi is great!! I had my Inc almost all set-up with apps and updates before I even activated my phone/data plan on it (as a wifi test) and I never had an issue...fast and consistant connection!!

I am sure I will have more to add as I use it more (especially at work), but as I mentioned earlier....only a couple days of impression there!!!!

tmellen 05-03-2010 04:50 PM

Re: User reviews (mine at least) Please post FULL reviews:

Syrguy --

I too am coming off the Omnia to this phone, and I must say that I love everything about it (although the 1ghz processor sure does drain the battery quicker).

The case hasn't been an issue for me. I bought a silicon cover (The red high gloss one verizon sells), and that keeps everything tight. Before putting that on, I put on a Zagg Invisishield on the screen. The cover fits perfectly over the edge of the invisishield.

I miss S2U2, too. Especially the last release. It was very responsive, and last month I recall saying to my wife, "my phone is finally perfect!" Now my Omnia is sitting on my desk at home with a dead battery. heh.

The camera load time on the Incredible is really fast. If I see something that I want to take a picture of, I can catch it with the camera as fast as I can unlock the screen and press the camera button. There's anywhere between a one and two second wait until the screen shows my subject and is ready to click.

One feature I thought I'd never use, but in the past four days have been unable to live without is the voice-to-text on the keyboard. If updating facebook, sending a text msg, or doing ANYthing that would require keyboard input -- saying the update is so much better. And more accurate that my fat-fingered typing is anyway.

The browser is great. Flash support (although only "flash lite", I haven't loaded a flash page that hasn't worked), and streaming video/audio works great. It's also FAST. Faster than any WinMo phone I've ever had - on the same network even... I like the bookmark widget too. Slide to the left of the home screen, click on the bookmark in the widget I want... Bam, page is loading in what, a swipe and a click.

Google Maps for the 'droid has a few extra features that Winmo doesn't have. Voice turn by turn directions, over the shoulder view while driving...

Back to facebook -- if you use it, the "Friendstream" widget is awesome. shows all your friends updates, and to comment on one, you can press the update, press the comment button, press the mic button on the keyboard, and say anything, "Dude, I'll join you at the movie Friday" or whatever, and it's posted to his status update. All without logging in, or typing a single keystroke.

The speaker phone is great. It's the first phone I haven't had to shout at while sitting on my car's dash. I can hear clearly, and the other side of the convo can hear clearly too. Makes me want to return the headphones I bought to take advantage of the 3.5 jack.

I like how contacts are synched with facebook. If you have "Joe Smith" as a contact, and he's also on your facebook, it will link his information in your phonebook... automatically updating his picture, email, birthday, etc...

I'm still playing with it non-stop. So much to do with it!

jbh00jh 05-03-2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmellen (Post 1732876)
Syrguy --

I too am coming off the Omnia to this phone, and I must say that I love everything about it (although the 1ghz processor sure does drain the battery quicker).

The case hasn't been an issue for me. I bought a silicon cover (The red high gloss one verizon sells), and that keeps everything tight. Before putting that on, I put on a Zagg Invisishield on the screen. The cover fits perfectly over the edge of the invisishield.

I miss S2U2, too. Especially the last release. It was very responsive, and last month I recall saying to my wife, "my phone is finally perfect!" Now my Omnia is sitting on my desk at home with a dead battery. heh.

The camera load time on the Incredible is really fast. If I see something that I want to take a picture of, I can catch it with the camera as fast as I can unlock the screen and press the camera button. There's anywhere between a one and two second wait until the screen shows my subject and is ready to click.

One feature I thought I'd never use, but in the past four days have been unable to live without is the voice-to-text on the keyboard. If updating facebook, sending a text msg, or doing ANYthing that would require keyboard input -- saying the update is so much better. And more accurate that my fat-fingered typing is anyway.

The browser is great. Flash support (although only "flash lite", I haven't loaded a flash page that hasn't worked), and streaming video/audio works great. It's also FAST. Faster than any WinMo phone I've ever had - on the same network even... I like the bookmark widget too. Slide to the left of the home screen, click on the bookmark in the widget I want... Bam, page is loading in what, a swipe and a click.

Google Maps for the 'droid has a few extra features that Winmo doesn't have. Voice turn by turn directions, over the shoulder view while driving...

Back to facebook -- if you use it, the "Friendstream" widget is awesome. shows all your friends updates, and to comment on one, you can press the update, press the comment button, press the mic button on the keyboard, and say anything, "Dude, I'll join you at the movie Friday" or whatever, and it's posted to his status update. All without logging in, or typing a single keystroke.

The speaker phone is great. It's the first phone I haven't had to shout at while sitting on my car's dash. I can hear clearly, and the other side of the convo can hear clearly too. Makes me want to return the headphones I bought to take advantage of the 3.5 jack.

I like how contacts are synched with facebook. If you have "Joe Smith" as a contact, and he's also on your facebook, it will link his information in your phonebook... automatically updating his picture, email, birthday, etc...

I'm still playing with it non-stop. So much to do with it!

Might want to download the Opera Mini 5 browser on Market , faster than the stock one.

NCX Designs 05-03-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbh00jh (Post 1732899)
Might want to download the Opera Mini 5 browser on Market , faster than the stock one.

yeah, except it doesn't work with the flash our phones have, believe me i've tried, since its a beta too, and there is nothing to turn on

the browser thats built in works great, and i actually like it better than opera, why? less clutter as everything vanishes and no tap tap tap to exit, just a tap of the back button and your out, plus its not a resource hog (imo)

jbh00jh 05-03-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCX Designs (Post 1732970)
yeah, except it doesn't work with the flash our phones have, believe me i've tried, since its a beta too, and there is nothing to turn on

the browser thats built in works great, and i actually like it better than opera, why? less clutter as everything vanishes and no tap tap tap to exit, just a tap of the back button and your out, plus its not a resource hog (imo)

Haven't had any problems with it yet. Works fine, if it didn't I wouldn't use it.
I don't work for Opera . haha