PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Droid Incredible (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   FB for Sense or FB for Android (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=119795)

coolingoutofhabit 05-01-2010 09:52 AM

FB for Sense or FB for Android

New to Android.

I am not getting any notifications from Facebook like I know come to the Droid. I am confused as to where the setting is and which app initiates the notifications. Is it FB for HTC Sense or the stock FB app?

When I go to Sync Settings I can create a new relationship with FB for HTC Sense, but when I click to create a new relationship with FB stock app, nothing happens.

Any thoughts?

NCX Designs 05-01-2010 10:12 AM

Re: FB for Sense or FB for Android

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolingoutofhabit (Post 1729101)
New to Android.

I am not getting any notifications from Facebook like I know come to the Droid. I am confused as to where the setting is and which app initiates the notifications. Is it FB for HTC Sense or the stock FB app?

When I go to Sync Settings I can create a new relationship with FB for HTC Sense, but when I click to create a new relationship with FB stock app, nothing happens.

Any thoughts?

the HTC facebook app is better than the stock one
your notifications for Facebook on Sense is on "friends stream" widget

HTC's integration of facebook is very nice since it can auto link to any contact you add when it sees the name is identical, even if the facebook user you add doesn't have a phone number attached to it

furthermore, you get two options when you want to upload a photo / video to facebook, choosing HTC's Facebook app allows you to customize which folder you upload to, who can see it and you can even add a little caption

the regular facebook app is basically just that, to browse facebook without a browser and to update your status

the HTC one allows you to browse too but it also lets you do all of the above and even look at everyones pictures in full resolution on the Incredibles screen

coolingoutofhabit 05-01-2010 10:23 AM

Thanks for all of the good information. I've had a hard time locating anything good all in one spot, so I hope this helps others as well.

Another question if you could...When you are syncing the FB for Sense, do you have to use the FB contact picture? I don't want a whole bunch of pictures of people's dogs on my People widget. HA

coolingoutofhabit 05-01-2010 10:48 AM

Also, just for clarity's sake...the MotoDroid gets FB notifications and does not come with Sense of course. But, on our phones, you are saying that ONLY FriendStream/HTC app gets these notifications?

NCX Designs 05-01-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolingoutofhabit (Post 1729165)
Also, just for clarity's sake...the MotoDroid gets FB notifications and does not come with Sense of course. But, on our phones, you are saying that ONLY FriendStream/HTC app gets these notifications?

to be fair, you can use another app but friendstream is better since its on your homescreen and not inside an app you have to load

facebook for android << this works with notifications but you can't see them unless your in the app
facebook for HTC Sense <<this integrates your phone with facebook so to speak, along with getting notifications of updates from your friends etc inside of friends stream.

you can choose any picture for your contact, just do edit contact and tap on the camera icon while in the editor, this allows you to choose ANY picture you want be it your own, or icons you've installed to your sd card.

also, for whoever you have added as contacts that are linked to facebook, there status updates will show up under People also, there are different tabs you can see, but there updated status shows up in your people tab too

Update: 9:11am 5/2
I just discovered a neat notification if you have facebook for HTC Sense enabled in your sync settings

when the phone finds that one of your friends in your contact list has made an update or posted something on facebook, it will have a bubble icon with how many updates they have next to there name, you click there quicklink, then go to the refresh cycle icon, it will show the facebook update there
on top of that, when i unlocked the phone, it went to the contacts screen automatically and showed me a notification bubble that there was an update

hope that helps

coolingoutofhabit 05-02-2010 09:31 AM

Again, thank you!

I don't think we are talking about the same thing exactly.
My roommate has the Moto Droid. When someone comments on his status update on FB, he gets a notification on his phone similar to a SMS. Up top on the bar a notification comes across letting him know. This is also different from the emails sent from FB, also.

He isn't tech savvy in the least and the most he has done to his device is install apps from the Market.

Note: The phone comes with a stock Facebook app. But, when I go to the Market and look for a facebook app, the same one shows in the Market with an option to "Install" and not "Update" (like Google Maps). What is the deal with that, anyone know?

NCX Designs 05-02-2010 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolingoutofhabit (Post 1730650)
Again, thank you!

I don't think we are talking about the same thing exactly.
My roommate has the Moto Droid. When someone comments on his status update on FB, he gets a notification on his phone similar to a SMS. Up top on the bar a notification comes across letting him know. This is also different from the emails sent from FB, also.

He isn't tech savvy in the least and the most he has done to his device is install apps from the Market.

Note: The phone comes with a stock Facebook app. But, when I go to the Market and look for a facebook app, the same one shows in the Market with an option to "Install" and not "Update" (like Google Maps). What is the deal with that, anyone know?

if it says install and not "installed" or "update" that means its a different app

but what i just discovered this morning with the notification bubbles, only works with contacts you have in your address book, but you get there notifications of there updates they make on facebook there atleast