PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 03:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

racedog is keeping up the good workracedog is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New to Android - A few questions

after ten years with Windows Mobile I had my fill and today I switched to the HTC Incredible. I've never used on before but I'm completely impressed with the speed of this device.

But, I do have a few questions that I hope can be answered here.

1) What is the best app to enable the Incredible to act as a wifi router?
2) Anyone here know how to sync this with MS Outlook? I talked to an engineer at Verizon and he said it is absolutely doable and is criticial for me. I suppose I could call support but figured that I could get the answer here.
3) What is the best weather radar app. Living in Kansas having weather radar is a must for me.
4) What is the best way to store music and to play it? Should it all just go on the SD? Is the built in music player at least adequate for playing music?

Is there anything else that I should know regarding making this device as useful as possible. I don't want to load it up with crap but I do like having the device running as smoothly and quickly as possible.

R
Old 04-30-2010, 03:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Imagio, Incredible
Carrier: VZW

TonyK is keeping up the good workTonyK is keeping up the good work
Re: New to Android - A few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedog View Post
after ten years with Windows Mobile I had my fill and today I switched to the HTC Incredible. I've never used on before but I'm completely impressed with the speed of this device.

2) Anyone here know how to sync this with MS Outlook? I talked to an engineer at Verizon and he said it is absolutely doable and is criticial for me. I suppose I could call support but figured that I could get the answer here.
3) What is the best weather radar app. Living in Kansas having weather radar is a must for me.
4) What is the best way to store music and to play it? Should it all just go on the SD? Is the built in music player at least adequate for playing music?

Is there anything else that I should know regarding making this device as useful as possible. I don't want to load it up with crap but I do like having the device running as smoothly and quickly as possible.

R
racedog
to sync to Outlook. When you connect phone to PC select "Disk Drive" mine is removable H. Install HTC Sync to your PC. Drag it to desktop on PC and install, this will let you sync to Outlook, contact/cal. etc.

If I Have Helped You, PLEASE HIT [THANKS],, THANKS

This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks for that info. I hit the thanks button also!

R
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Imagio, Incredible

TonyK is keeping up the good workTonyK is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Thanks for that info. I hit the thanks button also!

R
Thanks for the thanks, give it a try let me know if you get Outlook to work
Old 04-30-2010, 04:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Droid "Incredible"

GoldenTiger is just getting started

Regarding #4, yes, the built-in MP3 player is pretty good it seems .
Old 04-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible ,HTC Imagio

jbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:

R
The Weather Channel App has radar.
Radio
1.39.00.0627r
Old 04-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible!

MrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuff

i would suggest throwing your music onto the internal memory. they gave us 8gb so might as well use it, haha. plus i think the internal mem runs faster than our sd cards. you could also try some of the great music widgets/apps that android has: like pandora, slacker radio, last.fm...etc. however those will probably eat your batt up quicker.

also as mentioned above, the stock music player is great. and it integrates with the lock screen. within the lock screen it allows play/pause, next and back, and shows album art...very nice
Old 04-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: note 3
Carrier: verizon

jrzx10r is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to jrzx10r

yes i would like to know about the wifi router myself thats all the net i have as of now i have my imagio set up to do it and love it. i am thinking of going to the incredible if this STUPID buttons dont stop sticking on number 3 right now. but not if i cant do this.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks for all the answers. Music on 8 gigs is a problem. I have about 100 gigs of music and even paring it down to 16 for the sd is always a problem. I'll store it on the sd.

Yes, I did get Outlook to sync using the method in this thread. Took a little tweaking and messing with settings but it works like a champ now.

I found another app for radar but its only ok at best. I'll go find the weather channel app and give it a try.

I have to say that I'm loving this phone. After ten years of windows I'm really having trouble getting used to a phone that works and moves quickly. Now I don't have enough time to get a few extra puffs on the cigs before the phone is already doing what I asked. That might be a good thing!

R
Old 04-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible!

MrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuff

Quote:
Thanks for all the answers. Music on 8 gigs is a problem. I have about 100 gigs of music and even paring it down to 16 for the sd is always a problem. I'll store it on the sd.

Yes, I did get Outlook to sync using the method in this thread. Took a little tweaking and messing with settings but it works like a champ now.

I found another app for radar but its only ok at best. I'll go find the weather channel app and give it a try.

I have to say that I'm loving this phone. After ten years of windows I'm really having trouble getting used to a phone that works and moves quickly. Now I don't have enough time to get a few extra puffs on the cigs before the phone is already doing what I asked. That might be a good thing!

R
snap thats a lot of music, haha. i use a zune hd mainly for my tunes, but i like the phone for the radio streaming apps!

you know, i downloaded the USA Today app for news, which is nice btw, but it has a weather panel with a radar button. didn't try as my battery died while reading the news (on the charger right now) but check out that app. knock two birds out with one app, news/weather/radar all in one. (or would that be three birds?)

as far as wifi router goes, we have to wait for root access, which hopefully will be soon. you can pay for PDAnet, i believe $20 (one time), which allows you to "usb tether" your phone to your laptop/comp for internet. there are a couple other apps too, i recall something like easyTether ($15 i believe) and there may some others...but wifi will have to wait till root

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible