PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 03:25 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4
Carrier: Verizon

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A couple noobie ???s

I posted this in another forum, but I have always had great luck here, so I decided to re-post it here:

I had a couple questions about the Android OS that I know will be simple for most, but I haven't found clear answers for (and a couple I haven't gotten to yet !!):

The backup assistant I have seen mentioned...is it like using SPB Backup on a WM device in that it will save a mirror image of your device (PIM info, apps, configuration.....) or something different?

I have downloaded a theme or two to see what they look like and I was wondering if creating a custom theme is as easy as changing the images found in a downloaded one and saving it to the Incredible (would love to make a Doctor Who theme), or if it needs to be rooted or something (If there is a self-skinning instructional post/thread that would be GREAT!!!)?

Is it true the new OS (2.1 I think) allows the lock screen to use different gestured (AKA...side-to-side) to unlock, change ringer/mute function....?

They are the questions I am dwelling on at the moment, I am sure I will think of more though!!! Thanks for now

Old 04-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible!
Carrier: VZW

MrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuff
Re: A couple noobie ???s

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
Is it true the new OS (2.1 I think) allows the lock screen to use different gestured (AKA...side-to-side) to unlock, change ringer/mute function....?

They are the questions I am dwelling on at the moment, I am sure I will think of more though!!! Thanks for now
well i know from using the tp2 port (2.01 i believe) that the lock screen had two options. slide the lock image from left to right to unlock, or slide the sound icon from right to left to toggle between speaker, vibrate and silent. however the sense lock screen is entirely different and i am not positive if you can adjust your speaker setting from it.

i too would really like to know whether you need root acces for skinning/themeing the os. i have read/heard yes and no answers but have not found difinitive proof, but most of what i read did point to needing root access.

as far as backups go, i have no idea on that...

Last edited by MrGoodCat; 04-22-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:52 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

From what I have read I am guessing you don't need root access to skin, but I guess until I get my hands on one (three months still) I won't know for sure unless someone here tries or knows beforehand LOL.

I I have only heard rumors about the lock screen gestures. I can deal with the up/down for unlocking, but I would really like a sound profile option as well.

So far it is looking like there isn't any full backup app like they make for WM which is OK I guess. It does look like the VZW backup assistant for contacts is pretty well integrated into the Incredible.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Regular 'Geeker

MrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuff

i asked the question about rooting in the android dev section in tsowens taskbar thread. i was told that you do need root access to skin, at least the taskbar...
Old 04-23-2010, 10:19 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

I was told the rooting is usually pretty quick after a device is out, so hopefully it won't be too long before the Incredible is rooted and it is a moot issue. (I may not know much about rooting, but from what I do know I don't really see any reason not to if we are able (no down-side)).
Old 04-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
I was told the rooting is usually pretty quick after a device is out, so hopefully it won't be too long before the Incredible is rooted and it is a moot issue. (I may not know much about rooting, but from what I do know I don't really see any reason not to if we are able (no down-side)).
with winmo i had no issue unlocking and flashing roms, it was almost manditory. however on android once rooted, you can not un-root. with winmo if you had a warranty issue, flash back to stock, re-lock, and your good to go. potentially with rooting, if something happens to your phone and who ever goes to fix it is smart enough, they would know its been rooted and your warranty is voided. that is the ONLY downside i see.

i think i will wait out the 30 days after i get it and leave it stock. that will also allow me time to get used to android. then as long as my phone has no hardware issues after those 30 days, i'll snag asurion, and get to rooting (assuming its been rooted by then). thats just my 2 cents on the issue. really wish it was possible to un-root, but oh well.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:39 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Snag "asurion" What do you mean by that? Isn't that the insurance VZW offers?

I do know about the invalidating warranty issue, but if you run into a critical problem and have insurance it is just as easy to say it was lost that to turn it in (unusable either way), so I am not too worried about that.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Droid Incredible

dcweiser is a n00b

Verizon Backup Assistant automatically saves your contacts online, for a monthly fee. You set the frequency of the saves. It's useful if you're not already backing them up on your PC, and if you're moving to another phone.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Droid Incredible

dcweiser is a n00b

Asurion's the extended Frisbee warrantee / insurance that you can buy from Verizon. When you're insured for a phone that's out of support, they'll usually send you the next comparable supported phone.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:25 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Cool, I thought I remembered asurion being the name of the insurance! I think Backup Assistant is free though.

Actually I found it, it is free, I found it on their site:

Backup Assistant is now included with your Verizon Wireless service. There are no subscription fees for the service.*

*Downloading Backup Assistant will require approximately 1 MB of data; standard data charges may apply. Standard text messaging rates apply when you initiate contact synchronization from the My Verizon/Media Center website

Found here: http://support.vzw.com/faqs/Get%20It...assistant.html

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible