PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible!
Carrier: VZW

MrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: A couple noobie ???s

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
Snag "asurion" What do you mean by that? Isn't that the insurance VZW offers?

I do know about the invalidating warranty issue, but if you run into a critical problem and have insurance it is just as easy to say it was lost that to turn it in (unusable either way), so I am not too worried about that.
asurion is the extra isurance coverage provider. its $6 a month, then a $100 deductable if it needs replacing. i like having it on expensive phones, haha. we can be as careful as possible but anything can happen

as far as i know root access requires an unlocked bootloader. at least this is for the n1. an unlocked bootloader voids your warranty. and since the n1 was dealing straight with google for issues, there are a lot of people saying they got screwed for rooting then having it malfunction and google refused to back it up. they were charged with what ever the fee was to fix the issues, like a an unresponsive screen or dust under the screen and other such things entirely unrelated to rooting but were screwed none the less. but hopefully i am wrong and it doesn't void the warranty.

either way i am going to root, i'll just wait the 30 days incase anything happens to/with the phone. plus i doubt it will be rooted within that time frame anyway
Old 04-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker

MrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuff

ok so i just sorta read through the root instructions for the moto droid and it didn't mention anything about unlocking a bootloader. and it also mentioned that you could manually "update" back to the stock os to essentially "unroot" your device. so now i am confused. maybe only the n1 has the bootloader? maybe its android 2.1 that uses the bootloader? i am not sure, think i may look up the desire and see if that has been rooted yet, since that will be most similar to the incredible...
Old 04-24-2010, 12:36 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Yep....Desire has been rooted:

http://www.sizzledcore.com/2010/04/01/root-htc-desire/

P.S. I wrote Paul a private message to see what his opinion on all of this is (rooting, unrooting, time-frames.....)

Last edited by syrguy1969; 04-24-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:14 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

MrGoodCat....was it you that sold his TP2 in anticipation of the Nexus to only start looking at the Incredible after a few delays in release dates? If so (or whoever it was) good move....take a look:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...53#post1719653
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
MrGoodCat....was it you that sold his TP2 in anticipation of the Nexus to only start looking at the Incredible after a few delays in release dates? If so (or whoever it was) good move....take a look:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...53#post1719653
yep that was me. if i didn't already have my incredible pre-ordered and wasn't all siked for it, i'd be pretty bummed if i was still waiting on the n1, haha. all i can say is, if this truly was an experiement by google, i hope the REALLY learned their lesson. they missed out on a ton of sales. oh well though, i am getting a better phone for cheaper, so i am still happy.

i was on the verizon n1 thread over at nexusoneforums. there were a lot of people holding out for the n1, i bet there are a lot of unhappy campers over there, haha.

maybe next time google will release their phone at the same time on all carriers. but then again i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this happened all over again down the road. what seems like common sense to the consumer never seems to hit home on the business end
Old 04-26-2010, 10:35 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

I thought it was you! I didn't think you would be too upset seeing as your getting the Incredible now, but I figured I would post in the main Android forum instead of the n1 forum....a little too much like rubbing salt into a sore for my liking.

I don't think Google will learn from this, I do believe it will happen again.....but I could be wrong!!

Overall.....I think we got the better device!!!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible