PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Droid Incredible (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   in the mean time... (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=118292)

MrGoodCat 04-16-2010 10:45 PM

in the mean time...

So what are your reasons for choosing the incredible? were you going to wait for the nexus one before this was announced? still don't know which one you want?

initially i was going to wait for the n1, actually i sold my tp2 so that i could get it, but that was months ago and still no word on the n1 officially. then the incredible rolls around and gets a solid release date...and now i am here. i have decided to go with the incredible for the following reasons

price - most likely the n1 won't be subsidized on a family plan (at least going off of the t mobile subsidized info) so the incredible will be less than half the price of the n1 (at least in terms of what i have to pay to get it). for the same/better specs its an easy choice in my books

8gb on board - i really didn't think this rumor would come true. so glad it did. the one thing i didn't like about the n1 was it only had the 512mb rom. the extra 8gb on top of that will help with all the apps

service in store - i would hate to have to mail my phone off and deal with google if i had an issue. it will be a relief knowing i can drive down the street and get a replacement if something bad happened. also i plan on getting asurion as always, not sure if i could with the n1

aesthetics - this is win/lose for me. i love the color scheme, always wished my tp2 were black and red, but i really don't like the back cover. but how often will i be staring at any part of it but the screen? probably never, so i'll let that slide

slimness - i thought about going for the droid a couple months back, but after having such a big screen with the tp2 i realized that really made the on screen keyboard usable, haha. so i really wanted a powerful phone with out a physical keyboard, tadah incredible!

sense ui - i actually enjoy sense ui on android. and if i ever get sick of it, well i'll probably root at some point...

so, now its your turn. lets hear your opinions on the incredible

redd214 04-17-2010 08:55 AM

Re: in the mean time...

i agree with pretty much all you said man. what i cant wait to try is sense ui on android. i love it on winmo and from the vids ive seen especially those of it running on the desire, it looks to even better on android!

Devildog8791 04-17-2010 08:56 AM

I want the incredible for the same reasons. My wife just got the Motorola Droid and it's a nice smooth phone. The Incredible is going to be a powerhouse.

I, in turn, would like to have the same keyboard that the TP2 has, but I'll learn to live without it.

Dragon2 04-17-2010 02:30 PM

You sure you can install apps to that 8 gigs?

MrGoodCat 04-17-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redd214 (Post 1703955)
i agree with pretty much all you said man. what i cant wait to try is sense ui on android. i love it on winmo and from the vids ive seen especially those of it running on the desire, it looks to even better on android!

i played with sense ui on the eris at a vzw store and liked it. can't imagine what it will be like on 2.1. watched a few vids of the desire and liked what i saw though

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devildog8791 (Post 1703956)
I want the incredible for the same reasons. My wife just got the Motorola Droid and it's a nice smooth phone. The Incredible is going to be a powerhouse.

I, in turn, would like to have the same keyboard that the TP2 has, but I'll learn to live without it.

nothing will ever beat the tp2's keyboard...well maybe the tp3 whenever that hits, haha. i think that was another reason why i wanted a phone without one this time, i knew nothing would match the tp2's so it was pointless

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon2 (Post 1704302)
You sure you can install apps to that 8 gigs?

not 100% positive. i would like to think you can, and it would kinda makes sense that you could. i was under the impression that the main reason apps couldn't be on an sd card had to do with formatting, and the fact google doesn't support it (yet). the 8gb could very well just be for music and pictures (especially with an 8mp cam). but lets hope, since its internal, that its formatted properly and allows apps to be installed on it

i heard that the next android update was going possibly incorporate app2sd. forget where i read that, but that sounded like a wise idea by google. none the less i am sure i will root this thing after 30 days are up. i wonder if you will have control over the format of the internal mem?

EDIT: found this article from phandroid. claims that maybe a portion of the 8gb will allow app install. i guess we will all know for sure in less than two weeks, haha

http://phandroid.com/2010/04/16/droi...ternal-memory/

MrGoodCat 04-18-2010 04:33 PM

so is everyone planning on using sense ui? i know there are other home options out there but have never tried any others than stock or sense ui. anyone already running android that likes a particular home replacement?

MrRedPants 04-19-2010 12:31 PM

I can't think of any good reason to wait for N1.

Are there already "cooked ROMs" for the N1 (I presume there are) and will there be the same for Incredible ya think? Want to be able to tether, etc. I can just see Verizon figuring some way to lock certain features, they always seem to!

MrGoodCat 04-19-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRedPants (Post 1706960)

Are there already "cooked ROMs" for the N1 (I presume there are) and will there be the same for Incredible ya think? Want to be able to tether, etc. I can just see Verizon figuring some way to lock certain features, they always seem to!

with time i think the incredible will become very popular, just as the moto droid took off. initially though the n1 will have more customizations to offer, if it ever hits cdma that is, haha. but give the incredible some time and i am sure we will see many of the same customizations. i need some time anyway to learn/get used to android, so i won't mind the hiatus in customiziations for the incredible. i hope to be able to customize it myself as i did with winmo, but we'll see, got a lot of learning to do

MrGoodCat 04-24-2010 12:08 AM

well since we are all playing the waiting game, i figured i'd take the time to learn about android. while searching to see what the sense ui keyboard looked like, i came across other options. one that stood out was "better keyboard"

http://betterandroid.wordpress.com/2...0-is-released/

it takes full advantage of the 3.7" real estate and gives you the option to download new skins off the android market. check it out, i think it will be something we could all use, especially those of us used to hardware keyboards...

syrguy1969 04-25-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRedPants (Post 1706960)

I don't think VZW will go that route any longer, I think they learned their lesson with the GPS issue a year or so ago!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGoodCat (Post 1704381)

not 100% positive. i would like to think you can, and it would kinda makes sense that you could. i was under the impression that the main reason apps couldn't be on an sd card had to do with formatting, and the fact google doesn't support it (yet). the 8gb could very well just be for music and pictures (especially with an 8mp cam). but lets hope, since its internal, that its formatted properly and allows apps to be installed on it

i heard that the next android update was going possibly incorporate app2sd. forget where i read that, but that sounded like a wise idea by google. none the less i am sure i will root this thing after 30 days are up. i wonder if you will have control over the format of the internal mem?

EDIT: found this article from phandroid. claims that maybe a portion of the 8gb will allow app install. i guess we will all know for sure in less than two weeks, haha

http://phandroid.com/2010/04/16/droi...ternal-memory/

I am on the fence on what I read on this as well, on one hand I think I saw somewhere that apps are already able to be installed on the SD card, but then I see an article like that. I think you have it right (unless as early owner posts) that we will just have to wait a bit until we can play around with one ourselves!! (can't wait)