PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   ROM Performance Degrades Over Time (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=99820)

pkmgarf 12-02-2009 08:55 PM

ROM Performance Degrades Over Time

So, the first time I had this problem, I thought I was imagining things. But now, it's popped up on a few ROMS (Manilla and Titanium). Everything seems to work fine right after flashing, but then, after some time (days?), things start going wrong.

The phone starts lagging really badly, text entry becomes painstakingly slow, and the phone will freeze overall (sometimes it comes back, sometimes I reset). I love my Diamond...but would LOVE to know why this is happening. Running CleanRAM seems to help for a few minutes/hours, but not long...

Ideas?

cbreze 12-02-2009 09:01 PM

Re: ROM Performance Degrades Over Time

Sorry no ideas other than to reflash to something fresh. I just wanted to chime in because I've noticed this also and can't recall anyone posting about it. I typically don't stay with one rom a long enough time to notice, but when I do, there it is a slow degradation process starts and a HR does not help for long. A side note tho: When I had gsm devices it didn't seem to happen. My cdma tp1 and tp2 I notice it sometimes.
I just reflash, gives me an excuse :)

pkmgarf 12-02-2009 09:06 PM

At least I'm not the only one seeing this...

I don't mind reflashing, but it'd be nice having a phone that stayed stable for more than a few days.

MrObvious 12-02-2009 09:19 PM

I never had this problem really and the only thing I can think of is you aren't doing the "shipped dance".

pkmgarf 12-02-2009 09:38 PM

The first few ROMS I flashed way back when I got the phone, I didn't flash to shipped. I have done it for the last few though (stock ROM, radio has never been changed).

horndoctor 12-02-2009 09:56 PM

You should be using software like Memmaid, SKTools, or ClearTemp to clear out cache, cookies, histories, and other temp files that tend to accumulate quickly in device memory. CleanRam clears ram just like a soft reset but doesn't clear temp files. I'm betting that's the remedy for this. ;)

wmdunn 12-02-2009 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkmgarf (Post 1381245)
The first few ROMS I flashed way back when I got the phone, I didn't flash to shipped. I have done it for the last few though (stock ROM, radio has never been changed).

What you are describing are classic signs of needing to flash back to the "shipped" rom which includes the original radio. Not really sure why it works, but it just does. There have been some improvements in the flashing process ... such as Calkulin's kitchen making it possible to skip the flash dance, but even then some are reporting a need to flash back to shipped on occasion.

I have had two instances where this happened to me, and flashing back to shipped including the original radio ... cleared everything up. Have not had those issues in months, now. Good luck ...

pkmgarf 12-03-2009 02:39 AM

What I was trying to explain is that I've been using the stock radio the whole time...it's never been changed at all...

I'll try ClearTemp, but I don't even use data at all (and wifi very, very rarely)...

cardriver 12-03-2009 07:50 AM

reboot every night...

Incubated 12-03-2009 02:25 PM

i get rom degradation issue when i clog up the phone over time. when the internal memory runs very low, i run clear temp and it solves a lot of issues. well at least i used to. i don't let it get critically low, although its at 15mb now and i duno how. at first, when i read your title, i thought you were having a similar issue. but there is no way clear temp and clean ram will help you out in your case. i suggest hard reset. flash shipped rom. hard reset. flash the desired rom. enjoy. keep cleaning temporary shit. especially after opera use. use clean ram here and there. my rom is lasting me rather long. it only lags when i open text messages. i guess overtime a lot has accumulated. its annoying but hey. better than shipped bs.