PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint

JQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[Tutorial - updated 11/22/09] Customize your Diamond -- WM6.5.1 and Manila 2.5 Mods

11/22/09
  • No real update, but I re-phrased some of the tutorial and added some additional instructions to make it less confusing. I'm currently in the middle of switching jobs and trying to register for classes next semester and figure out my schedule for the next 6 months. Plus next week is Thanksgiving so I will be with family for half the week. Coming next will be a much bigger graphics update.

- 11/21/09 -

• Small Graphics update
  • Linked to OMJ's newest rom which ads some extra space to the Manila home screen in Max Manila ultimate..allowing for the call history/missed calls, agenda, SMS, and e-mail links on the home screen...perfect for using the retractable slider because it lets you have access to your most important tabs while the slider is still down.

NOTE: The four buttons at the bottom ( call history/missed calls, agenda, SMS, and e-mail) are NOT permanent. They can be hidden with a simple finger swipe to the left or right and then you have JUST your calendar on the home screen with no bottom icons if that's what you want.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

This is asuming you are using a CDMA HTC Touch Diamond (any U.S. carrier)

This will teach you how to, from start to finish, completely customize your Diamond in two different styles using Windows Mobile 6.5.1 and HTC Sense (theme wallpapers are attached). But more importantly, this will teach you an effective method of gathering and installing mods and applications that will ensure you are getting the most cutting edge experience out of your mobile device. Once you know what a stable rom using the latest build of Windows Mobile looks like you will know what to look for in the future. And then once you know not only what to look for when customizing but much more importantly where to look for it, you can start searching on your own for other mods and user interfaces.

All credit for everything in this post belongs to the following members of XDA-Developers and PPC Geeks...
Old Man Jenkins, AKEO, NRG, dwizzy130, amarullz, maxycy, Livven
This is not meant as name dropping but I am honestly encouraging you to go to XDA-Developers.com and browse this site to research what these people do.

None of the roms or cabs are my creation, I am simply providing you with links to other peoples software. This tutorial, for now, deals with the look of WM 6.5.1 and customizing AKEO'S Vga Version of HTC Sense 2.5

Things you should know before reading...

• How to unlock your phone and properly flash to a new rom...
  • How to flash back to the stock rom for your carrier incase you screw things up...
  • Be sure to keep track of which cabs you install and in which order and be prepared to have to hard reset if you make any mistakes (usually not necessary, with the cabs I'll recommend they can usually be un-installed and leave no traces behind if it messes with anything.)

Before I tell you what to install and which Roms I recommend, here is a quick tidbit on why I feel if you have a Diamond, you do not have to upgrade to a Touch Pro 2 to get the same functionality.

Let it be said that if the slide out qwerty and bigger screen are selling points for you then obviously you'll probably upgrade or already have, but I just don't feel like it's worth the $350, and here's why, and then I will show you how to squeeze every bit of functionality and usability out of your Diamond by recommending roms and programs to install.

Okay so I contemplated over and over again about why I should upgrade from my Diamond to a Touch Pro 2...and I just can not justify doing it, especially now that we have so much available software for our Diamonds.

Sprint Touch Diamond Specs

Sprint Touch Pro 2 Specs

Now, there are several hardware benefits the Touch Pro 2 has over the Diamond and they are as follows....

1.) Though the processor speeds are identical at 528 Mhz, the Touch Pro 2 uses a more advanced processor.

2.) The TP2 has 256 more mb of ROM Memory (read only memory). This basically means the TP2 will boot up quicker.

3.) Slide out Qwerty Keyboard

4.) Larger screen size.

Now to me, taking my Diamond and adding those four options...that's not worth $350 plus extending my contract for two years.

One thing I HAVE to add is that Manila 2.5 DOES NOT SUPPORT LANDSCAPE. So if you bought a TP2 for the slide out Qwerty keyboard with a sweet tilting screen...you can't even use it if you upgrade Manila, once you slide your keyboard out your screen goes black and you can't even use it. This isn't because the TP2 is flawed...this is because Manila 2.5 RIGHT NOW is meant for the Touch HD2, which doesn't have a keyboard, so it was NEVER designed to be used with a Qwerty keyboard phone. Needless to say, I like my Diamond.

SO...I recommend that everyone considering upgrading try these steps first to get your Diamond up to date on the latest software before spending more money.

Screen shot (slider retracted):

Screen shot (slider expanded):

When it comes to application design, it's all about maximizing screen real estate. Luckily we have a lot of smart and intuitive people working here at PPCGeeks and for HTC to look up to. Below will be instructions on how to get your phone to look EXACTLY like the screen shots. In the last step is where you choose your wallpaper, and can choose the featured hero style taskbar.

1.)
  • First and foremost, you need a good and stable WM 6.5 rom. Some people prefer the look of WM 6.5.1 (which is pictured in the above screen shot...large taskbar at the bottom as opposed to top like 6.5) and I am going to recomend a rom that has it pre-installed, plus has the newest, and nearly 100% working HTC Sense 2.5.

It is OMJ's Newest HTC Sense rom (WM 6.5.1 Version 1.4 as of 11/21/09). Install the version with Windows Mobile 6.5.1 which has the newest HTC Sense 2.5.

ALWAYS flash your phone back to stock rom, do a hard reset after the initial flash. THEN flash to the rom you want to use, in this case, OMJ's rom.

2.)
  • Now Though Manila 2.5 is running pretty good out of the box on OMJ's rom (not a knock to OMJ by just saying pretty good, because his work is OUTSTANDING), but it leaves a FEW things to be desired, like a less cluttered home screen, and the ability to have a retractable slider etc...that is where Max Manila Ultimate by maxycy comes in.

Download this cab and install it (must be a member at XDA)

Here is the thread for max manila ultimate
    ...From what I understand, this cab is not literally MEANT for VGA version of Manila 2.5 but does in fact work like a charm. DO NOT INSTALL ANY OTHER CABS EXCEPT FOR THE ONE I HAVE LINKED YOU TO. It is the ONLY version that will work with the manila 2.5 that is on the rom I recommended.

Look over the thread to get info on what regions of the screen react to swipes and touches...it is MUCH different than any other version of TouchFlo3d you have EVER used.
    Much more intuitive.

4.)
  • Go to the settings of Max Manila Ultimate by swiping your finger across the center of the top curtain of the home screen to reveal Max Manila settings, and then flip the clock up so you can see all the options.
  • Change the number of displayed programs to 20, turn the slider icons to "off", and change the number of Calendar appointments to 2....these settings will give you the look of the screenshot I posted. (swiping your finger across the top curtain also reveals or hides the home screen buttons)
  • Download the attatched zip file and copy the manila files to your windows directory on your phone to get the custom bottom icons instead of the plain default black ones.

5.)
  • -- Go here and download & install amarullz's greenblack theme for WM 6.5.1. buttons.

-- Then use the 2nd attatched image as your wallpaper (it's a touched up version of the default Hero wallpaper that I made in Photoshop)

That should be it...post em up with any questions / comments.

Not covered in this thread but coming soon...

Links to custom task bar icons
Start Menu Customizations made by me
Custom TF3D icons / sliders / curtains made by me
More wallpapers

Attached Files
File Type: zip Homescreen Bottom Button Icons.zip (13.9 KB, 87 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by JQuill; 11-22-2009 at 12:05 PM.
This post has been thanked 18 times.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: intertelecom

vasya911 is a n00b
Re: How to turn your Diamond into a mini TP2 -- 6.5.1 Mods and Manila 2.5 VGA Mods

Thanks!
Very well work.
All is accessible and is simple!
Thanks!!! ))
Old 11-10-2009, 10:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

bobbenedetti is becoming a great contributor
Re: [Tutorial] Customize your Diamond from start to finish -- WM6.5.1 and Manila 2.5

Calendar doesn't show below the clock and I am missing one row of configuration squares..unfortunately the important ones. Any idea why this is happening
Old 11-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

JQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuff
Re: [Tutorial] Customize your Diamond from start to finish -- WM6.5.1 and Manila 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbenedetti View Post
Calendar doesn't show below the clock and I am missing one row of configuration squares..unfortunately the important ones. Any idea why this is happening
If I understand you correctly Flip your home screen up to hide the clock when you're in the configuration squares to reveal the rest of the squares. This should let you turn on the retractable slider "Tab Icons - OFF" and thus enable you to click on the appointments square and set it to 2. Screen shots always help when asking about problems.

EDIT: FYI, you must actually have upcoming (shows appointments for the next 2 days) appointments in your calendar for anything to show below the clock. I'm assuming you do.

Last edited by JQuill; 11-10-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:58 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP 2

atl530i is a n00b

I may have to try this.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: sprint

kkeller87 is just getting started

installed, works fantastic. on the main screen of the homescreen, i have 4 tabs that are showing up in the max manila, black and white squares that show up right underneath calendar appts. theyre missed calls, alarm/or calendar?? i dont know, sms and email.

how do you get rid of those four squares?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeller87 View Post
installed, works fantastic. on the main screen of the homescreen, i have 4 tabs that are showing up in the max manila, black and white squares that show up right underneath calendar appts. theyre missed calls, alarm/or calendar?? i dont know, sms and email.

how do you get rid of those four squares?
You can put your finger on the calendar appointments and swipe from right to left and that will go from the calendar appointments to max manila settings, and will also switch from those botton squares you're talking about to your programs tabs.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO 2

billyapd21 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

how do you fix the bg4all? My contacts are unreadable in the all contacts because the background is dark gray and the writing is black. I had to install max version 2.2 for manila 1919 for it to work correctly! Help please.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Alltel/Verizon

Plutonium0587 is becoming a great contributor

Is it just me or does the slider retract really slow sometimes. I have to sit on a tab for a while before it will go down. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 11-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

great tutorial JQuill! Thanks for doing this. Will give this a go soon. Quick question, does this work with 218xx (com2) sys as well or just the 6.5.1 ones?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond