PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   xImapPusher - so far the best push mail solution (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=95731)

Fixup 11-10-2009 05:47 AM

xImapPusher - so far the best push mail solution

1 Attachment(s)
The problem I have with ImapPusher 0.61 is: Socket error every 4.5 minutes or so and it won't recover from this error. Turned out the Sleep() function was the cause: it simply pauses until I turn the screen on.

As for the socket error, it seems that WM times out socket after 4.5 minutes. I think that's why MS Live push always sends out heartbeat every 4.5 minutes.

So far this version works very reliable on my HTC Diamond with Verizon, no problem at all. It'll starts data connection automatically, so no problem to start it automatically after a reboot.

If the data connection is lost, the connection and push will be automatically recovered at the next refresh. The only condition is: the screen must be turned on at the moment for a (re)connecting.

I think this great IMAP push is finally as perfect as possible, thanking to the original programmer and camro on xda-developers.

Why not just use Gmail's Exchange direct push? 1) It's still in beta and not reliable enough to be usable; 2) Even if it is stable, it can use gmail address only, cannot use one of your other accounts; 3) Too much battery drain; 4) Only one account sync.

More details here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=519049

[update]Added a new version below.

MrObvious 11-10-2009 12:51 PM

Re: xImapPusher - so far the best push mail solution

If you got a web server anywhere that uses PHP you can set up Z-Push on it. You can even set up your local PC provided you port forward 80 to your server. I tried it out and it actually works good.

cesium 11-10-2009 01:30 PM

can you use z-push with more than one email acct? i have 3 email accts, 2 gmail and 1 school

MrObvious 11-10-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cesium (Post 1315783)
can you use z-push with more than one email acct? i have 3 email accts, 2 gmail and 1 school

Well you can only use one ActiveSync account at once but you could have the Gmail pull off the school and forward the other one to the Gmail so you can have it work.

Fixup 11-10-2009 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the latest version, fixed a bug that made the service to quit.

Yes, ImapPusher can be used to sync multiple imap idle accounts.

Fixup 11-17-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrObvious (Post 1315679)
If you got a web server anywhere that uses PHP you can set up Z-Push on it. You can even set up your local PC provided you port forward 80 to your server. I tried it out and it actually works good.

Thank you! This z-push is all I wanted!

Although I've made the ImapPusher as perfect as possible, I still give it up because there is a big problem I cannot do anything about it: WM closes sockets after 4.5 minutes. Battery life hurts. Live push (HotMail) is the same, ActiveSync does not have this issue.

I made some simple changes to z-push for gmail: 1) use gmail's smtp to reply, so sent mail does not go to other folders; 2) use any email address not just gmail address as from and reply-to; 3) deleted messages goes into Trash instead of Archive.

This is the great thing about open source - you can make it to work exactly the way you want. With z-push, Exchange now is perfect for Exhange and any IMAP.

The only downside about z-push: it polls every 5 seconds (I changed to 15) to the IMAP mail server. When I have time, I'll make it to use IMAP idle to sync to the mail server other than polling, by implementing ImapPusher's source code.

SOHKis 11-17-2009 12:28 PM

glad to see development being continued on this, left a question regarding the service manager/accounts file on your xda thread.

Thanks!