PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 04:21 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sudden Power Drain on my Diamond

I notice that sometimes my battery drains totally overnight. It goes from 90%+ to 15%. Maybe Casper is using my Diamond at night
I have data connectivity set to 1x and I did the battery polling tweak registry change.
This only ocurrs once in awhile. I can't figure it out.
I switch between 2 batteries, and both are only 8 months old. So they each have approx. 4 months of use.
I notice this happens during the day sometimes also. This occurred when I had data connectivity set to EV. I don't know if the draining was due to the EV setting, or it was a coincidence.
I do notice that the Diamond awakes by itself sometimes. When I'm sleeping, I don't know how often it does that.I will keep an eye on this, to see exactly how often this issue is ocurring.
It has happened a few times and I didn't think anything of it until now.
Any ideas?
And a few registry tweaks
HTC DIAMOND DISASSEMBLY/ASSEMBLY/PARTS/REPAIR HELP HERE >

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security"
-Ben Franklin
Old 10-24-2009, 08:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

castnorth is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Sudden Power Drain on my Diamond

sometimes i run cleanram before bed and when i wake up my phone is dead. I've done this a few times and noticed that it seemed to happen when I would run the program after plugging in and then turning off the screen. This happened on different roms i had flashed adn it seems it could happen with different programs
Don't know if this helps and i don't have any science to back it up but it did seem kind of odd and i was able to replicate occasionally. Also, it was with cleanram 1.7 and below (i haven't tested the theory in a while)
Old 10-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Alltel Prepaid

Nosey is becoming a great contributor

I don't get a sudden power drain, but my diamond doesn't last more then 4-6 hours at the most, I am using it on alltel prepaid and therefor don't have a data plan, so that is turned off, in the area I'm in I am roaming 99% of the time, so I have turned roam only on, this too seems to happen on all the roms.. maybe it's a diamond thing
Old 10-24-2009, 09:02 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by castnorth View Post
sometimes i run cleanram before bed and when i wake up my phone is dead. I've done this a few times and noticed that it seemed to happen when I would run the program after plugging in and then turning off the screen. This happened on different roms i had flashed adn it seems it could happen with different programs
Don't know if this helps and i don't have any science to back it up but it did seem kind of odd and i was able to replicate occasionally. Also, it was with cleanram 1.7 and below (i haven't tested the theory in a while)
Thanks for the heads up. I have clean RAM v1.8.3 Beta installed. I forgot if I did a clean up prior to this issue. I will keep an eye out just in case.
I will be looking closely at the battery depletion issue so I can get a precise picture on what the circumstances are pior to the issue occurring.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:05 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosey View Post
I don't get a sudden power drain, but my diamond doesn't last more then 4-6 hours at the most, I am using it on alltel prepaid and therefor don't have a data plan, so that is turned off, in the area I'm in I am roaming 99% of the time, so I have turned roam only on, this too seems to happen on all the roms.. maybe it's a diamond thing
Your issue appears to differ from mine. Roaming constantly will drain the battery Big Time

My issue ocurrs sporadically.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Alltel Prepaid

Nosey is becoming a great contributor

biker1:
I realize that roaming can drain the batter faster, but figured that was when the phone was set to a normal mode and is roaming and trying all the time to get the home carrier, figured by switching to roam only that it would not keep trying and just stay on the roam
Old 10-24-2009, 09:43 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP

Don't know if this is related, but my experience when I first used Microsoft's My Phone, drained my battery over night. When I changed the settings to manual, and only checked contacts and calendar, everything cleared up. Just a thought ...
Old 10-24-2009, 09:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

Jayzion is keeping up the good workJayzion is keeping up the good work

I have a Diamond and I have run different ROMs and Different programs. I almost never have battery life. I have to be near an electrical outlet whenever possible and ESPECIALLY when I actually talk on the phone...

I have read that the new ROMs in MediumHill posts have great battery life and he is cooking ROMs with over 100mb. Maybe there is a direct correlation between used memory and life of the battery in stand by.

Also when I use WiFi router, AL com manager or even PDANet I take the back off of my phone and lay it on a piece of Aluminum as a makeshift heat sync.

Seams to help some.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:22 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdunn View Post
Don't know if this is related, but my experience when I first used Microsoft's My Phone, drained my battery over night. When I changed the settings to manual, and only checked contacts and calendar, everything cleared up. Just a thought ...
I have MyPhone set to manual.
Appreciate the thought though
Old 10-24-2009, 10:27 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosey View Post
biker1:
I realize that roaming can drain the batter faster, but figured that was when the phone was set to a normal mode and is roaming and trying all the time to get the home carrier, figured by switching to roam only that it would not keep trying and just stay on the roam
Switching between Home and Roam will cause a huge power drain. The way you have it set will cause less of a power drain, but I think more of a power drain than if you had it set to home if you were in an area where you would not have to force roam. Just my thoughts but easy to verify.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond