PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 12:37 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc diamond
Carrier: telus

phreaq is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The Diamond and Car GPS Issues

Hey folks,

I believe I know the answer to what my issue is, but just wanted to confirm with a few of you first, a sounding board if you will.

Anyhow, here's the scoop.

I live in Ontario, which is passing a 'hands free' law soon, forcing everyone to use hands free devices in the car. I have a Diamond, and am looking at a standalone Car GPS to use for driving (obviously). Of course I would like to link my Diamond to the car GPS via bluetooth, and here's where my issue lies.

I am looking at the Garmin nuvi 265T and the Magellan 4350, but neither list the Diamond as a supported bluetooth device. I thought bluetooth was an industry standard, but there is obviously more to it than just that.

My question(s) to you is; is there a car gps device out there that will connect to my Diamond? Or perhaps there's another way of getting my Diamond to communicate with the GPS (although I'm not sure how)?

It seems I won't be able to find a compatible device, which will mean I will probably have to use a standalone hands free device for my phone, and just use my GPS as it's own unit, unlinked to my phone.

Any thought or comments?

thanks in advance,
Old 10-21-2009, 12:44 PM
SIR Flash-a-lot
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint

KBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: The Diamond and Car GPS Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreaq View Post
Hey folks,

I believe I know the answer to what my issue is, but just wanted to confirm with a few of you first, a sounding board if you will.

Anyhow, here's the scoop.

I live in Ontario, which is passing a 'hands free' law soon, forcing everyone to use hands free devices in the car. I have a Diamond, and am looking at a standalone Car GPS to use for driving (obviously). Of course I would like to link my Diamond to the car GPS via bluetooth, and here's where my issue lies.

I am looking at the Garmin nuvi 265T and the Magellan 4350, but neither list the Diamond as a supported bluetooth device. I thought bluetooth was an industry standard, but there is obviously more to it than just that.

My question(s) to you is; is there a car gps device out there that will connect to my Diamond? Or perhaps there's another way of getting my Diamond to communicate with the GPS (although I'm not sure how)?

It seems I won't be able to find a compatible device, which will mean I will probably have to use a standalone hands free device for my phone, and just use my GPS as it's own unit, unlinked to my phone.

Any thought or comments?

thanks in advance,
Is there a particular reason you need an external gps receiver? The diamond has gps built in. I am using TomTom for my gps and it works great.

Thats how sweet the signal is in my office!!
Old 10-21-2009, 12:59 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

phreaq is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbussen View Post
Is there a particular reason you need an external gps receiver?
yup, it's the law up here now. You cannot use a cell phone's gps, it must be a standalone gps unit, or you'll get a ticket
Old 10-21-2009, 01:11 PM
SIR Flash-a-lot

KBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
yup, it's the law up here now. You cannot use a cell phone's gps, it must be a standalone gps unit, or you'll get a ticket
And they have ways of telling that?
Old 10-21-2009, 01:16 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

phreaq is a n00b

guys, I'm not interested in comments about the law, just my issues.

I didn't make the law, I don't like the law, but I have to live with the law.

You will not convince me to use the Diamond's GPS, it won't happen, so save your post.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:22 PM
SIR Flash-a-lot

Quote:
guys, I'm not interested in comments about the law, just my issues.

I didn't make the law, I don't like the law, but I have to live with the law.

You will not convince me to use the Diamond's GPS, it won't happen, so save your post.
Wow. Relax. Ill stay out of your thread. The laws in my state say i cant text or talk on my phone but i sneak them in from time to time. Sorry I was curious.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:41 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

phreaq is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbussen View Post
Wow. Relax. Ill stay out of your thread.
thanks.

Not trying to be a prick, but I also don't want meaningless posts
Old 10-21-2009, 10:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

ydoucare is just getting started

I've seen posts around different forums of people successfully pairing their Garmin and Diamonds via bluetooth.
Here's one over at XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=436931

I would venture to guess that Garmin's list of supported devices is probably just a list of "tested" devices that they guarantee will work.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

stormygal_indy is keeping up the good workstormygal_indy is keeping up the good work

A potential route, I can vouch for the Jabra SP700 bluetooth speakerphone. I've been pleased with how it and the Diamond get along. Worth considering if you go with something separate from the GPS.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:46 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

phreaq is a n00b

thanks for the link ydoucare, I'm leaning away from the Garmin though, I prefer the interface on the Magellan.

stormygal, thanks, I believe I'll have to go the speakerphone route. FWIW, the Jabra site has a nice pull down of 1000s of phones that will list compatibility. Both mine and my wifes phone is supported.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond