PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   The Diamond and Car GPS Issues (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=91716)

phreaq 10-21-2009 12:37 PM

The Diamond and Car GPS Issues

Hey folks,

I believe I know the answer to what my issue is, but just wanted to confirm with a few of you first, a sounding board if you will.

Anyhow, here's the scoop.

I live in Ontario, which is passing a 'hands free' law soon, forcing everyone to use hands free devices in the car. I have a Diamond, and am looking at a standalone Car GPS to use for driving (obviously). Of course I would like to link my Diamond to the car GPS via bluetooth, and here's where my issue lies.

I am looking at the Garmin nuvi 265T and the Magellan 4350, but neither list the Diamond as a supported bluetooth device. I thought bluetooth was an industry standard, but there is obviously more to it than just that.

My question(s) to you is; is there a car gps device out there that will connect to my Diamond? Or perhaps there's another way of getting my Diamond to communicate with the GPS (although I'm not sure how)?

It seems I won't be able to find a compatible device, which will mean I will probably have to use a standalone hands free device for my phone, and just use my GPS as it's own unit, unlinked to my phone.

Any thought or comments?

thanks in advance,

KBZL 10-21-2009 12:44 PM

Re: The Diamond and Car GPS Issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by phreaq (Post 1251435)
Hey folks,

I believe I know the answer to what my issue is, but just wanted to confirm with a few of you first, a sounding board if you will.

Anyhow, here's the scoop.

I live in Ontario, which is passing a 'hands free' law soon, forcing everyone to use hands free devices in the car. I have a Diamond, and am looking at a standalone Car GPS to use for driving (obviously). Of course I would like to link my Diamond to the car GPS via bluetooth, and here's where my issue lies.

I am looking at the Garmin nuvi 265T and the Magellan 4350, but neither list the Diamond as a supported bluetooth device. I thought bluetooth was an industry standard, but there is obviously more to it than just that.

My question(s) to you is; is there a car gps device out there that will connect to my Diamond? Or perhaps there's another way of getting my Diamond to communicate with the GPS (although I'm not sure how)?

It seems I won't be able to find a compatible device, which will mean I will probably have to use a standalone hands free device for my phone, and just use my GPS as it's own unit, unlinked to my phone.

Any thought or comments?

thanks in advance,

Is there a particular reason you need an external gps receiver? The diamond has gps built in. I am using TomTom for my gps and it works great.

phreaq 10-21-2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbussen (Post 1251456)
Is there a particular reason you need an external gps receiver?

yup, it's the law up here now. You cannot use a cell phone's gps, it must be a standalone gps unit, or you'll get a ticket

KBZL 10-21-2009 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phreaq (Post 1251486)
yup, it's the law up here now. You cannot use a cell phone's gps, it must be a standalone gps unit, or you'll get a ticket

And they have ways of telling that?

phreaq 10-21-2009 01:16 PM

guys, I'm not interested in comments about the law, just my issues.

I didn't make the law, I don't like the law, but I have to live with the law.

You will not convince me to use the Diamond's GPS, it won't happen, so save your post.

KBZL 10-21-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phreaq (Post 1251526)
guys, I'm not interested in comments about the law, just my issues.

I didn't make the law, I don't like the law, but I have to live with the law.

You will not convince me to use the Diamond's GPS, it won't happen, so save your post.

Wow. Relax. Ill stay out of your thread. The laws in my state say i cant text or talk on my phone but i sneak them in from time to time. Sorry I was curious.

phreaq 10-21-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbussen (Post 1251541)
Wow. Relax. Ill stay out of your thread.

thanks.

Not trying to be a prick, but I also don't want meaningless posts

ydoucare 10-21-2009 10:04 PM

I've seen posts around different forums of people successfully pairing their Garmin and Diamonds via bluetooth.
Here's one over at XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=436931

I would venture to guess that Garmin's list of supported devices is probably just a list of "tested" devices that they guarantee will work.

stormygal_indy 10-22-2009 02:29 AM

A potential route, I can vouch for the Jabra SP700 bluetooth speakerphone. I've been pleased with how it and the Diamond get along. Worth considering if you go with something separate from the GPS.

phreaq 10-22-2009 07:46 AM

thanks for the link ydoucare, I'm leaning away from the Garmin though, I prefer the interface on the Magellan.

stormygal, thanks, I believe I'll have to go the speakerphone route. FWIW, the Jabra site has a nice pull down of 1000s of phones that will list compatibility. Both mine and my wifes phone is supported.