PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Verizon - Radios/ROMs - Issues/Fixes/Troubleshooting (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=91678)

sallyhoe2001 10-21-2009 04:55 AM

Verizon - Radios/ROMs - Issues/Fixes/Troubleshooting

I started this thread as there seems to be a lack of information regarding VZW specific problems/issues.

For the past week I have been working the bugs out of my Alltel Diamond powered by VZW. So far I have had limited success but I was able to successfully receive/make calls and get data working.

However I have not been able to get any connectivity to the verizon network when using any of the current radios that are available here.

What I currently have working::

Provider-----Verizon
Phone-------Alltel HTC Diamond - DIA500
Rom---------MightyRom WM6.5
HardSPL-----0.57.CMONEX
Radio--------1.08.99u
Security-----Unlocked

The above configuration is a working solution, however the signal quality is to-be-desired...

If I use any other radio listed here; I get no signal on my phone, and I have tried every radio that is currently listed.

Anyone know why this would be the case? Or have any simlar issues?

Meanwhile I would love to get my hands on a Verizon Diamond so I could inspect the customizations to ensure that I'm not missing something here... :dontknow:

Anyone else having similar issues? Thoughts/suggestions/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

CozBoogie 10-21-2009 11:52 AM

Re: Verizon - Radios/ROMs - Issues/Fixes/Troubleshooting

Moved to the general Diamond Forum.

late,
Coz

thvoicwethin 10-21-2009 12:24 PM

Try this thread. Look at the verzion radios there and download them. Sometimes, also, flashing back to stock helps reset the phones system, and uploading the new rom and radio might work better.

CDMA Diamond Radios

I am using an alltel diamond as well, but it is "powered" by the verizon network...meaning that all my stuff is now with verizon instead of alltel i guess. I just stick with the latest alltel radio, i get awesome signal. Also, it depends on the location where your at.

MrObvious 10-21-2009 05:25 PM

I haven't been having problems here in Hutch with signal at all beyond normal. Maybe flash shipped ROM again then flash to the Telus 1.04 radio.

sallyhoe2001 10-21-2009 09:38 PM

Intresting, thanks for the info guys. Flashing stock Alltel rom is the only thing I have yet to try, I guess I'll give that a go and see where it takes me.

I've literally flashed every radio listed at the above link and with every radio at the above link I have no signal at all.

So I shall continue to experiment here... keep you updated....

MrObvious 10-21-2009 10:03 PM

Shipped not stock.

runkittyrun 10-21-2009 11:35 PM

hmm, you say verizon power'd but that could mean different things, i'm assuming you mean your on alltel plan with verizon bill, if thats the case then your connecting to the alltel data systems, alltel and verizon authenticat data differently, far no signal with any other radios could be that radio has prl flaw thats letting talk to different tower or your antenna could be damaged in the phone or your settings could just be really off

what prl is on your phone?
is your phone set to home only?
what is your idea of "signal quality is to-be-desired"

sallyhoe2001 10-22-2009 01:31 AM

I see how that could be confusing since the Alltel/Verizon merger... but no I am on a pure Verizon plan - Unlimited Roaming/Minutes/Data...

Using an Alltel Diamond and a bit of *Magic* to allow it to be used on the Verizon network...

PRL Version - 51611
Phone is set to roam freely

Update on my status...

Flashed Shipped Alltel Rom...
Tried all radios listed here... No Change

Flashed Alltel Rom Update from HTC's Support Area...
Again tried all listed radios... No Change

Only radio that I can get a signal with is 1.08.99u

FYI - I'm located in Las Vegas, NV and have had no signal problems in the past with other phones, including a HTC Touch, and Touch Pro... those devices in my area have full signal strength, Diamond with above radio I get 1 bar...

Someone on another forum recommended trying a different HardSPL not sure it will make any difference, has anyone tried the OliNex HardSPL on xda?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=400950

Currently I'm using cmonex's 0.57...

Running out of ideas here, for now I did some digging around my parts bin and managed to find a sticky Cell Antena booster which at the moment has boosted my signal to almost full strength so I atleast have found a patch for now... just seems odd to me that when using any other radio's I get no connection at all...

MrObvious 10-22-2009 10:51 AM

At least you get a signal with the 1.08 radio. I think maybe because of the Alltel buyout they are working on the towers in every area and some people lose signals for a while until it's complete. You could call tech support and ask about if they are working on towers in your area or not. I would get another phone to see if it's just you or everyone having signal problems first.

incognito53 10-22-2009 03:11 PM

I really don't suggest you HardSPL your phone with Olinex's version, as that could cause REALLY bad signal (READ: brick your phone). His version is for GSM devices, i.e. ATT, Tmo, etc. Alltel, Verizon, Sprint, cricket, are all CDMA. All the SPL does is flash the phone's bootloader to allow you to flash custom, non-carrier signed ROMs and radios.

sallyhoe2001 10-24-2009 11:12 AM

Thanks for the reply incognito53

I was kinda thinking that, I was farily sure a GSM bootloader wouldn't be kind to my CDMA fon... :)

Turns out I finally solved the problem...

Somehow in the migration process my Home SID got wiped out so my phone wasn't communicating with any towers... apparently the 1.08 radio has a SID/NID hardcoded or similar

Can't beleive I missed that... but soon as I added it back I was able to get signal with all the listed radios... so far best signal I get is with the Verizon 1.03.03F.

We shall see how battery life is.. thanks for everyones help!

runkittyrun 10-25-2009 01:14 PM

glad to hear its working, i was just reading your prefious post about other phones having full signal about to suggest finding out what the service sid is on the other phones and code that as your sid since that would take effect before prl list is processed, thou with sid of 0 or 1 you technicily should still get signal just see roaming every where unless your sid is blacklisted or not listed at all, personal i might look up the sid to see who's tower your getting full signal from, if your adventurious you could try changing the prl with home sid 0 see if one works better for your area, 51xxx is normal verizon, 400xx alltel data device(55-56 is current and between 31-36 had sprint) and 56xxx is verizon with alltel towers prefured in select areas ( basical i think verizon sid's numbers are lower so they are picked first and have caused issue someplaces so 56xxx elevates select alltel towers in problem areas ) might be waste of time but curious what happens to your signal if you go to an area outside of your home sid

if you dont mind, i am curious what your current home sid is, i kinda want take look at the prl and see how its listed

also you mentioned sticky cell phone boost you added that help before you updated the settings, did you mean one of thou behind the battery ground plate gizmo's or an actual antenna, if you have pic would be nice to see it :)

sallyhoe2001 10-26-2009 01:17 AM

I would think I would have still received a signal myself, however I was missing both the Home SID/NID. So for example my values were:

0/0

instead of...

0/65535

So I'm guessing when the phone tried to parse the prl it must have hit an error therin causing it to have no signal?

My current values now are:

64/65535

64 being the Las Vegas, NV local Home SID

As for the antenna it was a sticky antenna however I put it inside the physical phone case when I took it apart to repair the digitizer.. however I have since removed it after noticing a funny side affect....

When the phone was on my desk it would receive almost full signal, however when I picked it up and placed in my hand my signal would almost completely dissapear... since removing the aftermarket antenna it is now functioning normally...

I'll try and take some pics here in the near future and post em so you can see it...