PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Still looking for that good ROM? No longer. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=88552)

Fixup 10-03-2009 05:57 AM

Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

When I got my Sprint Diamond about a year ago, the stock ROM was simply not to live with - very poor battery life, very sluggish, heavily crippled... Like many others here, I've been looking for that good ROM.

Tried Groove, Mighty ... and even cooked my own. None was ideal, but I stayed with Mighty 3.9. Still some problems:

***Picasaweb won't take photos mailed from this ROM.
***Freeze during charging, as soon as I install AgePhone, even after I removed it.
***Radio bars are fake - either full bars, or no bar, seldom between.
***VOIP apps crashes often for no reason. Never could get the built-in VOIP to work.

Until one day I happened to play with a Verizon Diamond. Man, smooth, snappy, no garbages like TouchFlo3D, superb battery life. Obviously, this shipped ROM has been polished very well after the initial release a year ago. I want it ever since.

However, nobody has posted the Verizon ROM for us. Hopelessly, I went to HTC website and, luckily, saw the new Sprint ROM.

This ROM is all I wanted, just like the Verizon ROM. No any problem so far. GPS (TomTom7.9), Internet, VOIP all work fine, no more crash during charging and other times. Picasaweb now takes my emailed photos. BTW, I use this phone on Verizon (PagePlusCellular prepaid actually). No more those Sprint junk that pop up all the time like before, such as provisioning and guarding etc.

This ROM comes with radio 1.11.00F, the very best so far. Much better signal than before and it is real, because now the bars goes up and down gradually, staying at full bars most of the time, never drops suddenly to 0 like the Mighty does.

The Opera Mobile 9.5 15945 in this ROM finally works smoothly, smooth enough to be actually usable, which was never true before. Auto-fill now works. It is no longer that hot while running and it no longer use CPU time while idle. This version might not be all the reason, I think it is this ROM that makes it to run much better than before.

Bye to custom ROMs for now, you guys gave me a wonderful time. Some people might still want a custom ROM for some cooked-in features, but this Sprint new ROM has everything I need. I'm not a fan of ever-adding features; unfortunately this is what most of the cookers here do, other than spending time just to do more test and bug fix.

wmdunn 10-03-2009 09:33 AM

Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

Since you really like the April Rom Upgrade from Sprint/HTC, do yourself a favor and check out this thread. The OP, with the help of a couple of heavy weights, has taken the exact rom you mention, and stripped out all of the unnecessary Sprint clutter. Everything else is left untouched. It runs faster, smoother, is equally as stable, and has more memory available. Should be perfect for what you have been looking for.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=64695

intx 10-03-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixup (Post 1210927)
When I got my Sprint Diamond about a year ago, the stock ROM was simply not to live with - very poor battery life, very sluggish, heavily crippled... Like many others here, I've been looking for that good ROM.

Tried Groove, Mighty ... and even cooked my own. None was ideal, but I stayed with Mighty 3.9. Still some problems:

***Freeze during charging, as soon as I install AgePhone, even after I removed it.
***VOIP apps crashes often for no reason. Never could get the built-in VOIP to work.

Until one day I happened to play with a Verizon Diamond. Man, smooth, snappy, no garbages like TouchFlo3D, superb battery life. Obviously, this shipped ROM has been polished very well after the initial release a year ago. I want it ever since.

However, nobody has posted the Verizon ROM for us. Hopelessly, I went to HTC website and, luckily, saw the new Sprint ROM.

This ROM is all I wanted, just like the Verizon ROM. No any problem so far. GPS (TomTom7.9), Internet, VOIP all work fine, no more crash during charging and other times. Picasaweb now takes my emailed photos. BTW, I use this phone on Verizon (PagePlusCellular prepaid actually). No more those Sprint junk that pop up all the time like before, such as provisioning and guarding etc.

This ROM comes with radio 1.11.00F, the very best so far. Much better signal than before and it is real, because now the bars goes up and down gradually, staying at full bars most of the time, never drops suddenly to 0 like the Mighty does.

The Opera Mobile 9.5 15945 in this ROM finally works smoothly, smooth enough to be actually usable, which was never true before. Auto-fill now works. It is no longer that hot while running and it no longer use CPU time while idle. This version might not be all the reason, I think it is this ROM that makes it to run much better than before.

Bye to custom ROMs for now, you guys gave me a wonderful time. Some people might still want a custom ROM for some cooked-in features, but this Sprint new ROM has everything I need. I'm not a fan of ever-adding features; unfortunately this is what most of the cookers here do, other than spending time just to do more test and bug fix.

Honestly, a lot of the stuff you're saying has to do with the radio. You realize you can flash your own radio at any point in time, right? Sprint 1.11 is actually outdated as of now, I believe(they released a newer one) and if you haven't tried the Telus one, you should.

Overall, I don't believe you should give up on custom ROMs due to a few bad experiences(and the one you were mentioning Mighty 3.9 is quite outdated).

Fixup 10-03-2009 02:53 PM

Thank you guys for the suggestions. The Sprint ROM works so fine, I have no motivation to try any custom ROM. You know, whenever you remove/change something in a ROM without extensive test, something might break somewhere.

Yes, I have tried all radio ROMs, including newer ones, none is like the 1.11.00F. May be it is the comb of this radio and this ROM that make the perfect match.

intx 10-03-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixup (Post 1211563)
Thank you guys for the suggestions. The Sprint ROM works so fine, I have no motivation to try any custom ROM. You know, whenever you remove/change something in a ROM without extensive test, something might break somewhere.

Yes, I have tried all radio ROMs, including newer ones, none is like the 1.11.00F. May be it is the comb of this radio and this ROM that make the perfect match.

That's why we continue testing to make things better.

You may be content with your device not getting better, but I'm not. That's why I'm a cook.

And a quick FYI, bars are completely worthless. You need to run the test, imo.

Primenall 10-03-2009 06:25 PM

Use what you want, if that's good enough for you great.

I've used many perfect custom roms both mine and others, and also ones with bugs.

The stock roms always have some bugs themselves (the HTC/Sprint programmers aren't Gods hence new stock releases) or at least shortcomings.

They always come with extra stuff that you won't use and takes up space, also many inferior settings and outdated programs, if it's good enough for you Great, but it's not good enough for me...... I have a great BUG-Free Rom right now that kicks the Stock Roms butt. :mrgreen:

intx 10-03-2009 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Primenall (Post 1211907)
Use what you want, if that's good enough for you great.

I've used many perfect custom roms both mine and others, and also ones with bugs.

The stock roms always have some bugs themselves (the HTC/Sprint programmers aren't Gods hence new stock releases) or at least shortcomings.

They always come with extra stuff that you won't use and takes up space, also many inferior settings and outdated programs, if it's good enough for you Great, but it's not good enough for me...... I have a great BUG-Free Rom right now that kicks the Stock Roms butt. :mrgreen:

Precisely my thoughts.

I'm using my Premier ROM which is completely bug free and supports ESPT and Update PRL, just like your stock ROM.

Fixup 10-03-2009 07:21 PM

I buy a phone to use it, not to cook it unless really necessary. Yes I know signal bars mean nothing but at least it is not fake like mighty 3.9.

Good enough is enoigh, cooking is fan but not the purpose.

Jadall 10-04-2009 03:05 AM

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (Windows Mobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35432; U; en) Presto/2.2.1)

the roms I like so far are intx premier and energy rom genesis is nice too I am using my telus radio works good

intx 10-04-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixup (Post 1212016)
I buy a phone to use it, not to cook it unless really necessary. Yes I know signal bars mean nothing but at least it is not fake like mighty 3.9.

Good enough is enoigh, cooking is fan but not the purpose.

I purchased a Windows Mobile phone because I knew that it was customizable, and I love the fact I can push the limits of what is thought possible on a phone and always upgrade it without spending the cash.

If you're purchasing a phone just to use it(IE the basic texter/caller) then I believe you made a horrific mistake in purchasing a WM phone. Any proprietary OS phone such as the Instinct would have done you much greater good since it's almost completely stable and just works(though it doesn't do much :p). Even a Blackberry or Palm may have been a much better fit for you, from what I can tell.

I like the fact that my phone can do virtually everything my PC can, for example:

I can use it as a Wifi access point.
I can edit Photoshop files with my graphics program.
I can access FTP and upload/download stuff on the go.
Watching Powerpoint presentations and editing them with the right software? I can do it.
I can watch flash videos(for example I watched NCAA March Madness in class last year)
I can browse any website like a PC.

Just a few things that most phones can barely do one of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jadall (Post 1212698)
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (Windows Mobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35432; U; en) Presto/2.2.1)

the roms I like so far are intx premier and energy rom genesis is nice too I am using my telus radio works good

Thanks for the callout Jadall. I'm using the Telus radio as well and I have virtually no heat, great battery life and good data speeds.

wmdunn 10-04-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intx (Post 1212922)
I purchased a Windows Mobile phone because I knew that it was customizable, and I love the fact I can push the limits of what is thought possible on a phone and always upgrade it without spending the cash.

If you're purchasing a phone just to use it(IE the basic texter/caller) then I believe you made a horrific mistake in purchasing a WM phone. Any proprietary OS phone such as the Instinct would have done you much greater good since it's almost completely stable and just works(though it doesn't do much :p). Even a Blackberry or Palm may have been a much better fit for you, from what I can tell.

I like the fact that my phone can do virtually everything my PC can, for example:

I can use it as a Wifi access point.
I can edit Photoshop files with my graphics program.
I can access FTP and upload/download stuff on the go.
Watching Powerpoint presentations and editing them with the right software? I can do it.
I can watch flash videos(for example I watched NCAA March Madness in class last year)
I can browse any website like a PC.

Just a few things that most phones can barely do one of.

I agree totally with intx, and have been using the Telus radio since the day it was released. By the way, intx's latest release (premier) is very good ... you should give it a try.

Fixup 10-04-2009 05:35 PM

I bought a WM phone because it has all the apps and features I need, no other phones provide all these:

TomTom, or Garmin GPS
Remote Desktop
Push mail via Exchange, IMAP idle and Hotmail (Live)
Java Midllet
Opera Mini (the browser for 99.99% of browsing)
Opera Mobile (for the rest of 0.01%)
Gmail (java client)
AgePhone (VOIP)
PortSIP (VOIP)

The newer Sprint ROM allows all of them and more, why I still bother with any custom ROM? As I said in my OP, it was that stock Sprint ROM that was so bad, I had no choice but looking for a custom ROM. Those days are over. I also pointed out, those who need some features cooked in the ROM, then they still need a custom ROM.

I'm not saying nobody needs a custom ROM, I just want people to know the newer Sprint ROM is good enough for most users.

intx 10-04-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixup (Post 1213602)
I bought a WM phone because it has all the apps and features I need, no other phones provide all these:

TomTom, or Garmin GPS
Remote Desktop
Push mail via Exchange, IMAP idle and Hotmail (Live)
Java Midllet
Opera Mini (the browser for 99.99% of browsing)
Opera Mobile (for the rest of 0.01%)
Gmail (java client)
AgePhone (VOIP)
PortSIP (VOIP)

The newer Sprint ROM allows all of them and more, why I still bother with any custom ROM? As I said in my OP, it was that stock Sprint ROM that was so bad, I had no choice but looking for a custom ROM. Those days are over. I also pointed out, those who need some features cooked in the ROM, then they still need a custom ROM.

I'm not saying nobody needs a custom ROM, I just want people to know the newer Sprint ROM is good enough for most users.

I will go as far to agree with you that the newer Sprint ROM is a big improvement over the stock one, of course.

However, this is a enthusiast forum, and most people here are interested in taking their device to the limit, which is where Custom ROMs come into play.

For example, as much as I hear, the Verizon stock ROM is excellent, yet you still see VZW Diamonders begging for a HardSPL.

But I will completely agree with you, if someone doesn't more than the basics and want a nice looking ROM, the latest Sprint one isn't too shabby.

Unfortunately, I've become way too used to TF3D2(manila sms, contacts <3) and I absolutely adore how Manila is becoming a full-featured OS replacement of sorts. If you've seen Manila 2.5, I can't even begin to imagine you aren't thinking of flashing custom ROMs when it's released.

bradart 10-04-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intx (Post 1213744)
I will go as far to agree with you that the newer Sprint ROM is a big improvement over the stock one, of course.

However, this is a enthusiast forum, and most people here are interested in taking their device to the limit, which is where Custom ROMs come into play.

For example, as much as I hear, the Verizon stock ROM is excellent, yet you still see VZW Diamonders begging for a HardSPL.

But I will completely agree with you, if someone doesn't more than the basics and want a nice looking ROM, the latest Sprint one isn't too shabby.

Unfortunately, I've become way too used to TF3D2(manila sms, contacts <3) and I absolutely adore how Manila is becoming a full-featured OS replacement of sorts. If you've seen Manila 2.5, I can't even begin to imagine you aren't thinking of flashing custom ROMs when it's released.

A-Friggin-men

Fixup 10-04-2009 09:23 PM

If you are old enough (mostly not), you should know that Norton graphic user interface for DOS. Crashed all the time, and only few clicks, you still see that ugly DOS. Nothing like the Macintosh.

To me, TF3D and all its kind, also the WM6.5, are all like that old Norton. Nothing iPhone. Other than consuming lots of resources and causing troubles, helps nothing about the ugly WM OS.

It's like putting thick foam bras on two flat breasts.

intx 10-04-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixup (Post 1214009)
If you are old enough (mostly not), you should know that Norton graphic user interface for DOS. Crashed all the time, and only few clicks, you still see that ugly DOS. Nothing like the Macintosh.

To me, TF3D and all its kind, also the WM6.5, are all like that old Norton. Nothing iPhone. Other than consuming lots of resources and causing troubles, helps nothing about the ugly WM OS.

It's like putting thick foam bras on two flat breasts.

I'm assured by this post you haven't seen Manila 2.5 then.

Manila 2.5 is the ultimate WM OS replacement.

All settings are handled in a Manila enviroment, and you virtually will never have to see the Windows default interface.

And resource hungry? Really? With CFC, Manila is absolutely tiny and is extremely fast.

What current ROMs out there have you tried(within say the last 2 months), may I ask?

MrObvious 10-04-2009 11:28 PM

And WM 6.5.1 is a step in the right direction.

wmdunn 10-04-2009 11:49 PM

Guys ... we tried. Now it's time to move on and let him enjoy his rom of choice. Sometimes you just can't enlighten someone who doesn't want the information. We did give it the old college try, though ...

Fixup 10-05-2009 12:42 AM

You guys are too young to know DOS and what I'm talking about.

MrObvious 10-05-2009 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixup (Post 1214357)

I don't remember the Norton GUI but I do know what you are talking about.

bradart 10-05-2009 02:35 AM

Quote:

Um, i'm 21 and make batch files and spend a lot of time in DOS and other shells. I remember the old norton interface as well. Also, i know that it has nothing to do with windows mobile. I understand your comparison. I also understand that remembering DOS "and what you're talking about" has nothing to do with the initial point that you are choosing a crippled interface because you made a fatal error in choosing your phone. If you used norton enough to bring it up here, you're obviously not a very avid user anyhow. Go get a Blackberry and stop telling us we're too young.

wmdunn 10-05-2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

Give it a rest, Bud ... like Bradart said, age has nothing to do with this. By the way, I was born in 1946 ... you do the math.

MrObvious 10-05-2009 09:01 AM

63? :)

wmdunn 10-05-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrObvious (Post 1214608)
63? :)

I knew it would surprise most of the people around here. I act and feel much younger, but guess I'm just about eligible for the "old farts" forum.

Toushi 10-05-2009 01:27 PM

The only good custom rom I have ever used was juicy's. Everyone elses had a whole bunch of custom crap, and really really buggy. And even juicy's newer roms are becoming buggy. I am really tempted to just go back to the stock rom.

tomcliz 10-05-2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixup (Post 1210927)

fix up: got a question for ya:
i also have a sprint diamond, trying to make it work on the page plus, the dealer activate my meid on the network and i got a number for my meid, but when i call the *22890 to program the phone, it still tell me to contact the sprint customer service.. .. can you tell me what u done to make it work ? thanks a million cuz im so desperate to make my phone work

Fixup 10-05-2009 03:02 PM

You need to program your Sprint phone manually (##778#). Of course you then need to unlock it first to get SPL code (easy). Then you need to load a modified VZW PRL (found it in the Touch Pro forum).

tomcliz 10-05-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixup (Post 1215383)
You need to program your Sprint phone manually (##778#). Of course you then need to unlock it first to get SPL code (easy). Then you need to load a modified VZW PRL (found it in the Touch Pro forum).

thanks a lot man. i will treat you a dinner ( if ur in ny lol) after i finish everything. you basiclly save my life. my life sucks after my vogue broke down. im on verizon, but nobody selling tp or diamond for verizon so i can only buy a sprint one, but the esn swipe doesn't go so well, plus verizon want 30 dollar data plan, so this page plus thing save my *** from adding a line from tmobile with my friends...

ok im able to use it, for a 2:05 call it charge me 24cent, 8cent per min, but on the phone it tells me about digital roaming, but roaming is 59 cent. so any idea to get rid of the roaming service?
and thanks a million!

intx 10-05-2009 06:03 PM

Honestly, you guys took a bit too far.

He mentioned why he using Windows Mobile and I personally respect that. I do not agree with his decision of not flashing custom ROMs, but I am glad he gave a breakdown of why he enjoys that Sprint ROM and how he offered an alternative to custom ROMs.

Fixup 10-05-2009 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmdunn (Post 1211017)
Since you really like the April Rom Upgrade from Sprint/HTC, do yourself a favor and check out this thread. The OP, with the help of a couple of heavy weights, has taken the exact rom you mention, and stripped out all of the unnecessary Sprint clutter. Everything else is left untouched. It runs faster, smoother, is equally as stable, and has more memory available. Should be perfect for what you have been looking for.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=64695

First, thank you for the information.

To be fair, I give it a try. Only few hours after the flash, it locked up totally. You may say this is a coinstance, but the Sprint ROM has never locked up once ever since I flashed it in. I'll give it another chance, but as soon as it locks up again, I'll go back and never look back again.

This ROM does clean up alot (free storage/free program):

Sprint: 32.38/115.68
JCV: 82.80/154.82

This is what I've been saying: when you remove something from a fully tested and integrated ROM, you never know what will be broken. WM is not a truly modularized system. When you remove one module, other modules that depend on this one will not work properly.

Fixup 10-05-2009 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcliz (Post 1215762)
so any idea to get rid of the roaming service?
and thanks a million!

As I said, you need a modified PRL.