PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2009, 10:45 AM
wmdunn's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T
Location: Phoenix, AZ
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,550
Reputation: 2510
wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intx View Post
I purchased a Windows Mobile phone because I knew that it was customizable, and I love the fact I can push the limits of what is thought possible on a phone and always upgrade it without spending the cash.

If you're purchasing a phone just to use it(IE the basic texter/caller) then I believe you made a horrific mistake in purchasing a WM phone. Any proprietary OS phone such as the Instinct would have done you much greater good since it's almost completely stable and just works(though it doesn't do much ). Even a Blackberry or Palm may have been a much better fit for you, from what I can tell.

I like the fact that my phone can do virtually everything my PC can, for example:

I can use it as a Wifi access point.
I can edit Photoshop files with my graphics program.
I can access FTP and upload/download stuff on the go.
Watching Powerpoint presentations and editing them with the right software? I can do it.
I can watch flash videos(for example I watched NCAA March Madness in class last year)
I can browse any website like a PC.

Just a few things that most phones can barely do one of.
I agree totally with intx, and have been using the Telus radio since the day it was released. By the way, intx's latest release (premier) is very good ... you should give it a try.
__________________
"Wise men still seek Him ... "
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Fixup's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: PagePlusCellular
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 166
Reputation: 130
Fixup is keeping up the good workFixup is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

I bought a WM phone because it has all the apps and features I need, no other phones provide all these:

TomTom, or Garmin GPS
Remote Desktop
Push mail via Exchange, IMAP idle and Hotmail (Live)
Java Midllet
Opera Mini (the browser for 99.99% of browsing)
Opera Mobile (for the rest of 0.01%)
Gmail (java client)
AgePhone (VOIP)
PortSIP (VOIP)
......

The newer Sprint ROM allows all of them and more, why I still bother with any custom ROM? As I said in my OP, it was that stock Sprint ROM that was so bad, I had no choice but looking for a custom ROM. Those days are over. I also pointed out, those who need some features cooked in the ROM, then they still need a custom ROM.

I'm not saying nobody needs a custom ROM, I just want people to know the newer Sprint ROM is good enough for most users.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2009, 06:46 PM
intx's Avatar
intx is the sexiest VIP
Offline
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,000
Reputation: 2655
intx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to intx Send a message via Yahoo to intx
Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixup View Post
I bought a WM phone because it has all the apps and features I need, no other phones provide all these:

TomTom, or Garmin GPS
Remote Desktop
Push mail via Exchange, IMAP idle and Hotmail (Live)
Java Midllet
Opera Mini (the browser for 99.99% of browsing)
Opera Mobile (for the rest of 0.01%)
Gmail (java client)
AgePhone (VOIP)
PortSIP (VOIP)
......

The newer Sprint ROM allows all of them and more, why I still bother with any custom ROM? As I said in my OP, it was that stock Sprint ROM that was so bad, I had no choice but looking for a custom ROM. Those days are over. I also pointed out, those who need some features cooked in the ROM, then they still need a custom ROM.

I'm not saying nobody needs a custom ROM, I just want people to know the newer Sprint ROM is good enough for most users.
I will go as far to agree with you that the newer Sprint ROM is a big improvement over the stock one, of course.

However, this is a enthusiast forum, and most people here are interested in taking their device to the limit, which is where Custom ROMs come into play.

For example, as much as I hear, the Verizon stock ROM is excellent, yet you still see VZW Diamonders begging for a HardSPL.

But I will completely agree with you, if someone doesn't more than the basics and want a nice looking ROM, the latest Sprint one isn't too shabby.

Unfortunately, I've become way too used to TF3D2(manila sms, contacts <3) and I absolutely adore how Manila is becoming a full-featured OS replacement of sorts. If you've seen Manila 2.5, I can't even begin to imagine you aren't thinking of flashing custom ROMs when it's released.
__________________
Use intxROM


Donate if you like my work!
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2009, 09:17 PM
bradart's Avatar
Officer Android
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Right behind you.
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,895
Reputation: 2614
bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart
Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intx View Post
I will go as far to agree with you that the newer Sprint ROM is a big improvement over the stock one, of course.

However, this is a enthusiast forum, and most people here are interested in taking their device to the limit, which is where Custom ROMs come into play.

For example, as much as I hear, the Verizon stock ROM is excellent, yet you still see VZW Diamonders begging for a HardSPL.

But I will completely agree with you, if someone doesn't more than the basics and want a nice looking ROM, the latest Sprint one isn't too shabby.

Unfortunately, I've become way too used to TF3D2(manila sms, contacts <3) and I absolutely adore how Manila is becoming a full-featured OS replacement of sorts. If you've seen Manila 2.5, I can't even begin to imagine you aren't thinking of flashing custom ROMs when it's released.
A-Friggin-men
__________________
Olympic-class smoker since 2005.

Sponsored by Kools.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Fixup's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: PagePlusCellular
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 166
Reputation: 130
Fixup is keeping up the good workFixup is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

If you are old enough (mostly not), you should know that Norton graphic user interface for DOS. Crashed all the time, and only few clicks, you still see that ugly DOS. Nothing like the Macintosh.

To me, TF3D and all its kind, also the WM6.5, are all like that old Norton. Nothing iPhone. Other than consuming lots of resources and causing troubles, helps nothing about the ugly WM OS.

It's like putting thick foam bras on two flat breasts.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2009, 09:44 PM
intx's Avatar
intx is the sexiest VIP
Offline
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,000
Reputation: 2655
intx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to intx Send a message via Yahoo to intx
Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixup View Post
If you are old enough (mostly not), you should know that Norton graphic user interface for DOS. Crashed all the time, and only few clicks, you still see that ugly DOS. Nothing like the Macintosh.

To me, TF3D and all its kind, also the WM6.5, are all like that old Norton. Nothing iPhone. Other than consuming lots of resources and causing troubles, helps nothing about the ugly WM OS.

It's like putting thick foam bras on two flat breasts.
I'm assured by this post you haven't seen Manila 2.5 then.

Manila 2.5 is the ultimate WM OS replacement.

All settings are handled in a Manila enviroment, and you virtually will never have to see the Windows default interface.

And resource hungry? Really? With CFC, Manila is absolutely tiny and is extremely fast.

What current ROMs out there have you tried(within say the last 2 months), may I ask?
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2009, 11:28 PM
MrObvious's Avatar
I see you have a PPC.
Offline
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel
Location: Hutchinson, KS
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,603
Reputation: 3000
MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

And WM 6.5.1 is a step in the right direction.
__________________
Disclaimer: The truth is obvious.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2009, 11:49 PM
wmdunn's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T
Location: Phoenix, AZ
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,550
Reputation: 2510
wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

Guys ... we tried. Now it's time to move on and let him enjoy his rom of choice. Sometimes you just can't enlighten someone who doesn't want the information. We did give it the old college try, though ...
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 10-05-2009, 12:42 AM
Fixup's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: PagePlusCellular
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 166
Reputation: 130
Fixup is keeping up the good workFixup is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

You guys are too young to know DOS and what I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 10-05-2009, 01:13 AM
MrObvious's Avatar
I see you have a PPC.
Offline
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel
Location: Hutchinson, KS
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,603
Reputation: 3000
MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixup View Post
You guys are too young to know DOS and what I'm talking about.
I don't remember the Norton GUI but I do know what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com