PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-diamond/)
-   -   Still looking for that good ROM? No longer. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-diamond/88552-still-looking-good-rom-no-longer.html)

wmdunn 10-04-2009 10:45 AM

Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by intx (Post 1212922)
I purchased a Windows Mobile phone because I knew that it was customizable, and I love the fact I can push the limits of what is thought possible on a phone and always upgrade it without spending the cash.

If you're purchasing a phone just to use it(IE the basic texter/caller) then I believe you made a horrific mistake in purchasing a WM phone. Any proprietary OS phone such as the Instinct would have done you much greater good since it's almost completely stable and just works(though it doesn't do much :p). Even a Blackberry or Palm may have been a much better fit for you, from what I can tell.

I like the fact that my phone can do virtually everything my PC can, for example:

I can use it as a Wifi access point.
I can edit Photoshop files with my graphics program.
I can access FTP and upload/download stuff on the go.
Watching Powerpoint presentations and editing them with the right software? I can do it.
I can watch flash videos(for example I watched NCAA March Madness in class last year)
I can browse any website like a PC.

Just a few things that most phones can barely do one of.

I agree totally with intx, and have been using the Telus radio since the day it was released. By the way, intx's latest release (premier) is very good ... you should give it a try.

Fixup 10-04-2009 05:35 PM

I bought a WM phone because it has all the apps and features I need, no other phones provide all these:

TomTom, or Garmin GPS
Remote Desktop
Push mail via Exchange, IMAP idle and Hotmail (Live)
Java Midllet
Opera Mini (the browser for 99.99% of browsing)
Opera Mobile (for the rest of 0.01%)
Gmail (java client)
AgePhone (VOIP)
PortSIP (VOIP)

The newer Sprint ROM allows all of them and more, why I still bother with any custom ROM? As I said in my OP, it was that stock Sprint ROM that was so bad, I had no choice but looking for a custom ROM. Those days are over. I also pointed out, those who need some features cooked in the ROM, then they still need a custom ROM.

I'm not saying nobody needs a custom ROM, I just want people to know the newer Sprint ROM is good enough for most users.

intx 10-04-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixup (Post 1213602)
I bought a WM phone because it has all the apps and features I need, no other phones provide all these:

TomTom, or Garmin GPS
Remote Desktop
Push mail via Exchange, IMAP idle and Hotmail (Live)
Java Midllet
Opera Mini (the browser for 99.99% of browsing)
Opera Mobile (for the rest of 0.01%)
Gmail (java client)
AgePhone (VOIP)
PortSIP (VOIP)

The newer Sprint ROM allows all of them and more, why I still bother with any custom ROM? As I said in my OP, it was that stock Sprint ROM that was so bad, I had no choice but looking for a custom ROM. Those days are over. I also pointed out, those who need some features cooked in the ROM, then they still need a custom ROM.

I'm not saying nobody needs a custom ROM, I just want people to know the newer Sprint ROM is good enough for most users.

I will go as far to agree with you that the newer Sprint ROM is a big improvement over the stock one, of course.

However, this is a enthusiast forum, and most people here are interested in taking their device to the limit, which is where Custom ROMs come into play.

For example, as much as I hear, the Verizon stock ROM is excellent, yet you still see VZW Diamonders begging for a HardSPL.

But I will completely agree with you, if someone doesn't more than the basics and want a nice looking ROM, the latest Sprint one isn't too shabby.

Unfortunately, I've become way too used to TF3D2(manila sms, contacts <3) and I absolutely adore how Manila is becoming a full-featured OS replacement of sorts. If you've seen Manila 2.5, I can't even begin to imagine you aren't thinking of flashing custom ROMs when it's released.

bradart 10-04-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intx (Post 1213744)
I will go as far to agree with you that the newer Sprint ROM is a big improvement over the stock one, of course.

However, this is a enthusiast forum, and most people here are interested in taking their device to the limit, which is where Custom ROMs come into play.

For example, as much as I hear, the Verizon stock ROM is excellent, yet you still see VZW Diamonders begging for a HardSPL.

But I will completely agree with you, if someone doesn't more than the basics and want a nice looking ROM, the latest Sprint one isn't too shabby.

Unfortunately, I've become way too used to TF3D2(manila sms, contacts <3) and I absolutely adore how Manila is becoming a full-featured OS replacement of sorts. If you've seen Manila 2.5, I can't even begin to imagine you aren't thinking of flashing custom ROMs when it's released.

A-Friggin-men

Fixup 10-04-2009 09:23 PM

If you are old enough (mostly not), you should know that Norton graphic user interface for DOS. Crashed all the time, and only few clicks, you still see that ugly DOS. Nothing like the Macintosh.

To me, TF3D and all its kind, also the WM6.5, are all like that old Norton. Nothing iPhone. Other than consuming lots of resources and causing troubles, helps nothing about the ugly WM OS.

It's like putting thick foam bras on two flat breasts.

intx 10-04-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixup (Post 1214009)
If you are old enough (mostly not), you should know that Norton graphic user interface for DOS. Crashed all the time, and only few clicks, you still see that ugly DOS. Nothing like the Macintosh.

To me, TF3D and all its kind, also the WM6.5, are all like that old Norton. Nothing iPhone. Other than consuming lots of resources and causing troubles, helps nothing about the ugly WM OS.

It's like putting thick foam bras on two flat breasts.

I'm assured by this post you haven't seen Manila 2.5 then.

Manila 2.5 is the ultimate WM OS replacement.

All settings are handled in a Manila enviroment, and you virtually will never have to see the Windows default interface.

And resource hungry? Really? With CFC, Manila is absolutely tiny and is extremely fast.

What current ROMs out there have you tried(within say the last 2 months), may I ask?

MrObvious 10-04-2009 11:28 PM

And WM 6.5.1 is a step in the right direction.

wmdunn 10-04-2009 11:49 PM

Guys ... we tried. Now it's time to move on and let him enjoy his rom of choice. Sometimes you just can't enlighten someone who doesn't want the information. We did give it the old college try, though ...

Fixup 10-05-2009 12:42 AM

You guys are too young to know DOS and what I'm talking about.

MrObvious 10-05-2009 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixup (Post 1214357)
You guys are too young to know DOS and what I'm talking about.

I don't remember the Norton GUI but I do know what you are talking about.