PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 02:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

avhokie is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Man, I hate this phone

It's now been one year that I've owned the Diamond. That's how long it took to go from singing its praises to anyone who would listen to hating the phone.

It seems like I am on an endless path to make this thing work right. Of course, even if I get it to work right, it won't matter as its battery life makes it useless.

For example, today it went from fully charged to 35% in 5 hours with about 2 minutes of talk time and ~80 exchange emails, and polling of my yahoo account every 30 minutes (2 emails today).

So now the question is, do I even try with the TP2? Or do I go off to the iPhone, Android, or Palm WebOS and not look back. At this point, I am thinking it's time to say goodbye to WM, thought I don't know which of the other 3 to pick yet.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Old 10-02-2009, 02:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

elmariachi is keeping up the good workelmariachi is keeping up the good work
Re: Man, I hate this phone

Hum.. noone can make the decision but you but you should note alot of the stuff that doesnt work, bugs, etc, are from ROMs that have been modified to work on this device. The stock ROMs have descent battery life and very few bugs.
I would suggest using a good 6.1 ROM for best stability.
And EVERY phone has bugs, even the iPhone, Android phones, WebOS phones...
So, just go with what you like most! good luck! On another note if you get an iPhone you can now send MMS! Hahaha!
Old 10-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avhokie View Post
It's now been one year that I've owned the Diamond. That's how long it took to go from singing its praises to anyone who would listen to hating the phone.

It seems like I am on an endless path to make this thing work right. Of course, even if I get it to work right, it won't matter as its battery life makes it useless.

For example, today it went from fully charged to 35% in 5 hours with about 2 minutes of talk time and ~80 exchange emails, and polling of my yahoo account every 30 minutes (2 emails today).

So now the question is, do I even try with the TP2? Or do I go off to the iPhone, Android, or Palm WebOS and not look back. At this point, I am thinking it's time to say goodbye to WM, thought I don't know which of the other 3 to pick yet.

Anyone else in the same boat?
'

unfortunately none of the 3 are going to give you good battery life. In fact, most smartphones in general that provide you the ability to surf the web, stream music, email sync, etc are not going to have good battery life. the tp2 has a larger battery (1500) but I doubt there has been any real changes to reduce power consumption. Android not sure to be honest but I don't think it would make a difference, Palm Pre is not getting good reviews for battery life. I-phone, my colleagues have them and overheard one of them saying is phone loses half battery life if he makes a long call so I doubt it performs any better except you can force Edge data which I heard with get much better battery life over ATT 3g network. But I dont expect any of them to have good battery reviews. One device to keep an eye out for is the new Omnia 2 since they are using another technology which uses less power for the screen (amoled screens). I would think this would help with battery life but who knows.

one other thing, you battery probably needs replaced. I have the diamond as well for nearly a year with the original battery. My phone has been off the charger since 7:45am. Usage: Couple brief calls, several email with email set to push for the morning, every 30 minutes in the afternoon. Couple data sessions totalling 10-15 minutes. I sitting at 65% after 6 1/2 hours. so you may need to swap out a battery or stop by the store and they may give you one

Last edited by Riley; 10-02-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:10 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP

Sorry you're having trouble, but like Riley said ... there are no perfect phones. There are lots of us who could help you with your set up, if you're so inclined. Just a few tricks and tips can give your Diamond a new life. I find my phone incredibly useful ...
Old 10-02-2009, 04:32 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

You probably need a new battery because after half a year my battery life wasn't as good on my phone and I was using every power saving hack in the book so to speak. I got a new phone and a new battery and I was only at like 40-50% at the end of the day versus dead or nearly dead. I think there may even be a 1800mAH battery that is stock sized for the TP which I think (please doublecheck) is stock sized too made by Mugen. But the ROMs that are coming out and the newer builds of WM 6.5.1 are keeping me interested.

Edit: Ok maybe not on the new battery but a brand new stock battery would help tons.

Last edited by MrObvious; 10-02-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: Telus

Incubated is keeping up the good workIncubated is keeping up the good work

i know what you are talking about man. sometimes i feel so cool for flashing new roms, like look at my new rom, but then i look at my friend's iphones and they seem to have all that without the wasted time and hassle. that said, i am still happy with the diamond, now more than before. flash TruXt rom, and enjoy. do the gps tweak thats on this site and ur set. like other said, new phone does not mean problems solved. its a little psychological defect we have that makes businesses a lot of money: not satisfied with something? oh that other thing will be the one. and so on and so on. the fact is you gotta find compromise. flash TruXt rom, load up on the programs you want and need and you are almost there. you will have lots of memory, speed, and battery life. turn of data when not using, adjust brightness when its dark, and you will see battery improve by a lot. i had those same problems but, they seem to be largely gone. the only thing that kills me now is that if i am in ****ty or no reception zone i need to put airplane mode on cuz that just rapes the battery. i would not cling to buying a new phone for a couple of years yet. for ****'s sake, they don't even have picture messaging on these damn SMARTphones. goes to show how juvenile the technology still is. largely thanks to marketing and capitalism, they want to suck out as much out of these pdas as possible before they improve tech. in any case, if you must have a new phone, hands down iphone is the one. save yourself some headaches, if not battery.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

nttdemented is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnttdemented is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnttdemented is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnttdemented is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Heh... I had the same problem as you man. I ended up switching to the Palm Pre and I VERY much love how it just plain works for the main things I do regularly. But trust me, WM phones still have head and shoulders more functionality and more flexibility than anything from the iPhone, WebOs or Android camp. Just look at the shear ammount of home brewed development is going on in the WinMo camp and its quite simple to see how versatile WinMo phones really are.

Sure they do give a million headaches when you're trying to be on the bleeding edge of the latest ROMs out there. But if you really want to just use your phone shop around for more mature 6.1 based ROMs with an older more stable version of Manila, add the programs you like the most and use your phone like mad. I'm sure the 6.1 stuff by the big guys out there must be very stable and polished.

Right now I just decided to step back into the WinMo game for a bit and I took my Diamond out of the drawer and started flashing the latest stuff to see what MS is doing. And my G/F, who I left maraudered with a Diamond herself, she didn't care to switch to the Pre because of spending more on another phone. I'm trying to cook up something fresh and stable for her since the ROM I left on her phone has a few quirks.

Heck once I'm done I'll re-activate my Diamond through the Sprint website and use it for a few days just to use something different.

Last edited by nttdemented; 10-02-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO...nothin but the BEST!

TREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubated View Post
they don't even have picture messaging on these damn SMARTphones. goes to show how juvenile the technology still is. largely thanks to marketing and capitalism, they want to suck out as much out of these pdas as possible before they improve tech. in any case, if you must have a new phone, hands down iphone is the one. save yourself some headaches, if not battery.
How come you don't have picture mail on your Diamond? Is it a Telus thing or something?

Second thing, you must have never had an Iphone. When my Diamond has problems, I can usually fix them...when the Iphone had problems you just stare at it, then scream.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Lurker
Carrier: Verizon

strikeback03 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
I think there may even be a 1800mAH battery that is stock sized for the TP which I think (please doublecheck) is stock sized too made by Mugen.
Battery life is an incredibly easy to fake stat, so if the battery is the same physical size it is almost certainly going to have about the same capacity.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: sprint

user1 is just getting started

Im pretty fed up also...The diamond definately has its issues( battery, freezing, etc). So i considered on switching to tp2 but i started to get even frustrated at the apps or lack of(of course im comparing to the iphone). I just wish I could get a stable windows phone with an app base similar to the iphone. So Until i make a decision on iphone - tp2...I just flashed mighty's latest 6.1 rom and so far so good. BUT MAN I WANT APPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond